Textsplaining

The place to chat about ideas, writing, this forum, or anything related to Interactive Fiction that isn't specific to ADRIFT.

Please also visit the Interactive Fiction Community Forum for further discussions.
Lumin

Textsplaining

Post by Lumin »

You guys ever heard of Marshal Tenner Winter?

Sort of regretting that I pay zero attention to the mainstream IF community anymore, because there's this huge catacomb of drama surrounding him I feel like I've barely cracked open the door of.

I've heard he threw a fit about ChooseYourStory games being allowed in the 2014 SpringThing and was just being a smug prick. He actually came to CYS and made an account just to post 'loool your games are getting disqualified' ...before going on to get his own game disqualified instead. Then he seems to have started feuding with a reviewer more recently (Patrick Mooney, and it's a very one sided feud since I actually saw Mooney defending him in a Discord today....) and Jacqueline Ashwell used that as an excuse to pull the plug and disqualify his IFComp entry because she found him just that obnoxious on a personal level...and uh because I guess she just has unlimited power to do that to whoever she wants now.

He and Duncan Bowsman seem to have a history too, just looking at a trolling commend DB left on his most recent game.

But the funniest thing is his blog, Textplaining which I have only just discovered. It's full of the most hilarious butthurt mad unhinged ranting about the modern IF community and various people in it. Although I do tend to agree with some of his points in a very general sense,
(the main community is elitist, unfun, and everyone places FAR too much importance on themselves), the boiling wave of A N G E R Y and the uh, creative language from this guy had me in stitches. Did you all know about him already and I was somehow the only one out of the loop?

Plotkin's sense of humor is a yawning chasm of nothingness. In fact, I've never met anyone online with such a lack of a sense of humor. I take that back. Most of the other well-known IFers suffer the same, sad humorless disposition. Like Jacq, the annoying busybody who is married to the irrelevant and insufferable critic Sam Ashwell whose reviews have gone downhill in quality faster than a short-run sitcom. These bloviating asshats wouldn't know a good joke if it took a dump in their mouths.
Let's not forget Porpentine. At this point, as far as the IF community is concerned, Porpentine can literally upload a jpg of one of her turds and it would place in the top 10 of any IF competition. Porpentine is actually a terrible, terrible writer. It's not even a matter of style over substance because there is neither. Some of her works are WRITTEN ALL IN CAPS. This is seen as unbelievably artistic of the highest caliber among many in the community.

It's like this: I attended art school in Philadelphia. There are two types of art school students: actual budding artists who take their craft seriously, and green-haired, pierced and booted crybabies who say things like "Oh, I'm too weird to go to class today." Yeah, Porpentine is obviously the latter. The community has rallied around her talentless ass, circling their wagons, ready to lash out at any of her critics, branding them as hateful. I've been messaged by jerk-offs trying to admonish me for daring to inquire if Porpentine is actually any good or if people are just parading around her like jackasses.
So if 77 Verbs was a tutorial into entering commands into a parser game, The Prongleman Job works to dismantle all that. I mean, what would have been the harm in letting me rely on my decades of playing parser IF and using EXAMINE and other verbs? Why does DiBianca feel the need to "be different"?
Anyway, I'm still sallying forth with an open mind. I just wanted to get that off my chest. I'm not trying to sound like a useless, ass-ugly, pompous, unfunny, overly-critical, twelve-sandwich-eating, grammar-Nazi virgin like Patrick Brian Mooney.

I'm sorry. I tried. There's no way I can get into a game when this image illustrates my SECOND move.

Well, at least I can refrain from personal attacks against the author like Patrick Brian Mooney would have enjoyed doing.
Here's the fucking thing: Mooney would be more than able to submit a game to the competition (if he actually had any writing ability whatsoever). That's the example that perfectly illustrates why Jacqueline Ashwell is an ignorant cunt and anyone in her little IF competition committee is an assholes, too. It's perfectly illogical and perfectly shows why they just fucking suck as comp runners, as community leaders, and simply as people. They can all drop dead of Covid-19 for all I care.

So many gems here I don't even know where to start. rofl

Does anyone have more details on what exactly happened here? Actually a shame he seems to have completely gone off the rails since he was a pretty prolific author. Again, I feel like I'd be agreeing with a lot of the stuff he's posted about the community as a whole (especially in regards to Porpentine...) if he'd just tone down the waterfall of RAEG and stop getting triggered into some kind of PTSD episode when it comes to that Patrick guy having written a single mean review.
Last edited by Lumin on Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Lumin

Re: Textsplaining

Post by Lumin »

Whatever happened to Duncan, anyway? I was surprised to see him active on the IFDB so recently, I don't think he ever comes around here anymore.
EndMaster

Post by EndMaster »

Yeah, he pretty much acted like a douchebag to CYS during the 2014 Spring Thing, but his blog really is a treasure trove of hilarious glittering gems of hatred.
Writing: It's more fun than a barrel of Ebola ridden monkeys!
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Post by P/o Prune »

Lumin wrote:Whatever happened to Duncan, anyway? I was surprised to see him active on the IFDB so recently, I don't think he ever comes around here anymore.
I don't know what happened to Duncan. I suddenly discovered that he was no longer a member of the Adrift forum, having been deleted altogether. I asked Campbell about it, because I thought it was a mistake, but apparently Duncan asked Campbell to erase him from the forum. I have no idea why, though.
D-Day in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
Just a Fairy Tale: 138Kb
Lumin

Post by Lumin »

P/o Prune wrote:
Lumin wrote:Whatever happened to Duncan, anyway? I was surprised to see him active on the IFDB so recently, I don't think he ever comes around here anymore.
I don't know what happened to Duncan. I suddenly discovered that he was no longer a member of the Adrift forum, having been deleted altogether. I asked Campbell about it, because I thought it was a mistake, but apparently Duncan asked Campbell to erase him from the forum. I have no idea why, though.

Huh. That is pretty weird. I actually suspected something like that though, because after I posted that I went digging for old posts from him, and there was no profile button on them. Well that's a real shame, I always liked him and as far as I'm aware everyone else did too. I wonder what happened.
Campbell
Site Admin

Post by Campbell »

I simply had an email saying
Hello,

Please delete my ADRIFT Forum account.

Thank you,
A shame. :(
ADRIFT Developer developer.