ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

"Crappiness of Quest Games"

The place to chat about ideas, writing, this forum, or anything related to Interactive Fiction that isn't specific to ADRIFT.

Please also visit the Interactive Fiction Community Forum for further discussions.

Re: "Crappiness of Quest Games"

Postby Peter Pears » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:14 am

Oh, I'm sure it would work in "XP Mode" (WIndows 7's fancy way of saying "Here's a Virtual Machine with a lite version of XP for your backwards compatibility needs, now quit bugging us). It's just a tremendous amount of work for very little payoff - at the time, and for non-programmers, it was amazing. But ADRIFT and Quest both moved on, and now there's I7, much more accessible than I6.

I often run very old games, so I know the general drill. :) Amazingly, the REALLY old games are always playable, even if with DosBox. It's the ones that tried to be fancy and use something specific about an OS that get screwed up completely really quickly.
Peter Pears

Postby rotter » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:24 pm

Lumin wrote:I agree completely about the website, it's very dry and technical and honestly pretty ugly, but of course we've had this discussion before and it never goes anywhere.

rotter wrote:Guess I'm going to have to play a few and report back.

This is such a bad idea.

Rotter, if it's not too late, I just want you to know that we're here for you. You know, if you want to talk about the nightmares afterwards, or just need a hug.

Thanks, I'll let you know if I need counselling. I do have personal space issues so maybe not the last option. :blush:
Currently working on "The Blank Wall" in ADRIFT 5 and "Again and Again" in Inform 7.
Delron, the home of Otter Interactive Fiction.
rotter

Postby David Whyld » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:23 pm

If you didn't have issues before, you'll certainly have 'em after a while using Quest.
David Whyld

Postby saabie » Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:00 am

What amazes me is that people think that Quest is as easy as ADRIFT to write games with.
It may have a simple interface to do a very basic game where you have to move around some rooms and pick up some objects, but you very quickly discover that to do anything more interesting you have to start writing code using an XML scripting language that is even more complicated than TADS, and looks like this:
xml Code: Select all
<type name="spell">
   <displayverbs type="stringlist">
     <value>Learn</value>
   </displayverbs>
   <inventoryverbs type="stringlist">
     <value>Cast</value>
   </inventoryverbs>
   <learn type="script">
     if (not this.parent = game.pov) {
       this.parent = game.pov
       msg ("How about that? You can now cast " + this.alias + ".")
     }
     else {
       msg ("Er, you already know that one!")
     }
   </learn>
 </type>

There is a GUI editor for this code, but all that does is expand each line of the code into a button or a text box that makes it even harder to follow what its doing.
saabie

Postby David Whyld » Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:48 am

Which probably goes a long way towards explaining why most Quest games are very basic.
David Whyld

Postby ElliotM » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:33 pm

YAML is more human readable than XML, though I have yet to see anyone use it for anything other than scripting capabilities.
ElliotM

Previous

Return to General IF