ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

The Writing Challenge Reborn

The place to chat about ideas, writing, this forum, or anything related to Interactive Fiction that isn't specific to ADRIFT.

Please also visit the Interactive Fiction Community Forum for further discussions.

The Writing Challenge Reborn

Postby Lumin » Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:58 am

You know, I miss those old writing prompts NickyDude used to give us. And obviously it wouldn't hurt to have a little more activity around here, so I say we revive the tradition, starting now. :)

Items: shopkeeper, vehicles, egg-shaped object, foreign currency, fruit, statue

Have at it! We'll choose a winner at the end of February.
Lumin

Re: The Writing Challenge Reborn

Postby Lazzah » Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:52 am

Lumin wrote:You know, I miss those old writing prompts NickyDude used to give us. And obviously it wouldn't hurt to have a little more activity around here, so I say we revive the tradition, starting now. :)

Items: shopkeeper, vehicles, egg-shaped object, foreign currency, fruit, statue

Have at it! We'll choose a winner at the end of February.

Hi Lumin, I wanna join in but I am unfamiliar with this tradition. What do we do now? :Thanks:
The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust, The Lost Children, Run, Bronwynn, Run, The Call of the Shaman, The Lost Labyrinth of Lazaitch, Magnetic Moon, Starship Quest, Revenge of the Space Pirates
Lazzah

Postby Lumin » Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:13 am

Lazzah wrote:Hi Lumin, I wanna join in but I am unfamiliar with this tradition. What do we do now? :Thanks:

If you have to ask, you'll never know. Image

But seriously, it's been awhile so I guess I should have included an explanation. All you have to do is take the location and items prompts and write a room description that includes them somehow. You can just post it in the thread, or bonus points for effort if you actually create and upload a taf.

At the end of the month I'll stick up a poll and everyone can vote for the one they liked best, first prize is bragging rights and a warm fuzzy feeling inside. :)

Maybe we can make it so the winner gets to write the next prompt.
Lumin

Postby Lumin » Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:20 pm

No one's taken the bait yet? Well all right then, guess I'll be the first to step up.

The Sector 5 marketplace is as busy as ever, with the locals milling around and chatting and travelers hustling in and out of the bullet-proof transports, keen to buy up rations of meat or crowded around the vendor selling the nubby purple kefi fruits that were only rarely available in the less developed Sectors. Overhead you spot the black blur of one of the little egg-like security bots zipping by, tirelessly searching the crowd for signs of criminal activity, and nearby, next to the pyramidal statue depicting a leader of the Tri-System Alliance on each of its faces is an automated shopbot dispensing passes out of the Sector. Lying discarded in its tray is a strip of faded Sector 12 currency...now what's that doing here? Sector 12 is under quarantine.
Lumin

Postby NickyDude » Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:05 pm

I did try to revive it a while ago but as you've noticed hardly anyone participated. Good luck though! :)
ImageI reject your reality and substitute my own...
NickyDude

Postby Lumin » Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:12 pm

:anyone: ...how hard is it to write one paragraph?

Oh well, still a month to go, and even if no one else enters all that means is that I win! :welldone:
Lumin

Postby Hensman Int'l » Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:20 pm

Pier Market
One would have to be very careful at this marketplace, especially at night. Wharf rats and water moccasins perform their dubious trades of fermented fruits. Only one shop is open with the sign displaying foreign currency exchange rates. The shopkeeper ferret flicking his head back and forth carefully watching the activities, undoubtedly mentally weighing what type of extortion that could be inflicted on the miscreants. The only vehicles around at this time are the pedal carts lined up next to the statue of Mayor Owl Whoarthur Screech.

>examine carts

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Most of the carts have remnants of hay, corn, and other produce in the bins, though one has a canvas partially draped over the top and black egg-shaped objects can be seen where the canvas doesn’t cover.

>examine eggs

Carefully taking a grenade, I hand one to Kckeven, “I don’t believe this has any bearing on our case, but it could come in use.” Kckeven places it in the bag.

I've got to add this to "The Sidewinder Affair"... who knows when I'll finish it. :|
Officially and Fully Released:
The Fly Human (v.4) - 2010
Brain Dead Weekend (v.4) - 2011
Hensman Int'l

Postby Lazzah » Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:21 pm

You are in the Portobello Road market in West London where you have come to buy a birthday present for your wife. You have just arrived here by cab from Heathrow airport where you flew into this morning from a weekend in Paris. The market is crowded as usual with people looking for bargains amongst the many stalls and shops. In a side street off the main market are several people who have displayed their items of bric-a-brac around their cars, so you stroll down this side street to see what they have to offer. Pausing to buy an apple from a fruitier's stall you wander down the street and notice that one guy has arranged his wares around a statue of a local dignitary. You stop in front of the statue and, casting your eye over the items at your feet, your heart skips a beat as you spot an egg-shaped object that is covered in dirt and grime.

>get object

Bending down to pick it up, you brush some of the dirt off of the object. As gold glints out at you from under the grime, the hairs on the back of your neck stand on end as you realise that this can only be one thing - a Faberge Egg! It must be worth millions! You ask the vendor how much he wants for it. "A tenner to you, mate!" he says cheerily and your mouth drops open in shock - £10 for a Faberge Egg!? The vendor takes your surprise as shock that he has asked too much for the item. "Ok mate, I'll let it go for a fiver, but I can't go lower than that." Stammering your thanks, you take your wallet out of your pocket and pull out some notes.....

.....and realise to your horror that you only have Euros! You forgot to go to the currency exchange booth at the airport before you got your taxi! You desperately offer the vendor everything you have in your hand but he shakes his head. "Sorry mate," he says apologetically, taking the egg from your hand. "I don't take foreign money here." and he hands it to a person standing next to you with a £5 in her hand. She winks at you as she puts the egg into her shopping bag. "Better luck next time!" she says as she saunters off into the throng of people and is lost to sight.
The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust, The Lost Children, Run, Bronwynn, Run, The Call of the Shaman, The Lost Labyrinth of Lazaitch, Magnetic Moon, Starship Quest, Revenge of the Space Pirates
Lazzah

Postby Lumin » Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:47 pm

Dang, you guys just had to go and show me up! Thanks for participating, but I see I'll have no choice but to bust out the developer and tack on a few bells and whistles to my entry now. :P
Lumin

Postby Lazzah » Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:11 pm

Lumin wrote:Dang, you guys just had to go and show me up! Thanks for participating, but I see I'll have no choice but to bust out the developer and tack on a few bells and whistles to my entry now. :P

So, the gauntlet is being thrown down! Anything you can do, we can do better! :haha:
Lazzah

Postby P/o Prune » Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:40 am

All right.. Let's get this thing rolling then.
And this is a call to all of us/those who complains about the forum being slow... Get the keyboard out of your... well whereever, and give it a go. You may take comfort in the fact that you can't to worse than me :shock:

As you walk further down the narrow alley the houses suddenly stops and a cobbled square unfolds before your eyes. You have reached the famous marketplace and stop for a while to take in the impressive sight.
It is like the whole world has gathered here. A cacophony of foreign voices engulfs you as you step into the marketplace and the impression of all the strange and unfamiliar things makes you turn your head first this way then the other.
The square is lined by wooden stalls with the owners vehicles parked nearby. One character in particular catches your attention, it’s one of the regular shopkeepers who stands outside his shop carefully studying the beautiful tall marble statue placed in the centre of the square. His eyes are glued to her face and his lips are moving as if he’s talking to her. In his hands he holds an egg-shaped object and you notice that his fingers are nervously running over its surface as if in search of something.
Across the square from you is a fruit stand. Fruits of all kind are neatly arranged in an amazing pattern of size and colour. Almost every one of the stall owners are busy and currency is quickly changing hands, some local but most of it foreign.
D-Day in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
Just a Fairy Tale: 97kb
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby DazaKiwi » Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:41 am

Here is my piece. Hope its not too long.

Its late at night and raining. But this hasn't curbed the throng of people outside here at the old train station market. The place is usually deserted during the day, forgotten by the rest of the city as life goes around it or above it with the new super highway built above.
You stand quietly watching in the shadow of a large statue above you of some unknown 17th century warrior who is mounted on a rearing horse and brandishing a sabre. Perhaps celebrating some great victory. But for you tonight victory is looking more like defeat as each minute passes. Your contact hasn't arrived.

The surrounding crowds of people going to and fro, bright lights, music and the hot food carried on the night air is more akin to a gypsy fair. Entertainers in the form of talented buskers play and performers whirling fire sticks or juggling fruit causing onlookers to jeer and holler. Other groups of people crowded around stalls haggling for bargains. To the far right a restored steam train sits on the old tracks all lit up with patrons dining and viewing the scene from the windows as they eat. If you had the right currency in your pockets you might fancy taking care of your hunger pangs the smell of food has unleashed.
Earlier in the evening on your way here a shopkeeper laughed at you when you pulled out francs to buy some food.

"Sorry I'm late," a womans voice speaks from behind. You turn around barely making out the shape of a woman in the shadow, a voice whom voice you recognise.
"Do you have it with you?" you ask.
"Yes. After tracking it down to a mere street peddler I nearly lost it to another buyer who didn't have the right currency on him. They seemed to know what it was. But not what's inside."
She carefully hands you the egg-shaped object. In itself it is worth a lot of money but what is inside is priceless. People have died and reputations tarnished for it.
"Thanks," you say relieved.
Then another figure stands out from behind her and says with a smug voice "Line, hook and sinker."
DazaKiwi

Postby David Whyld » Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:09 am

That is one mother of a room description.
David Whyld

Postby Lumin » Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:49 pm

It's fine if people want to post descriptions with tasks and events tacked on too. :wink:
Lumin

Postby Hensman Int'l » Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:10 pm

So who's da winna? :nerves: :anyone:
Officially and Fully Released:
The Fly Human (v.4) - 2010
Brain Dead Weekend (v.4) - 2011
Hensman Int'l

Next

Return to General IF