ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Game Transcripts & Macros in other IF Sytems

The place to chat about ideas, writing, this forum, or anything related to Interactive Fiction that isn't specific to ADRIFT.

Please also visit the Interactive Fiction Community Forum for further discussions.

Game Transcripts & Macros in other IF Sytems

Postby Lazzah » Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:33 pm

Hi all,

Apart from a brief look at Quest (which I was NOT very impressed with), I have never used any of the other currently available IF-creation systems such as Inform7, etc. Nor do I ever play any games created with these systems (not enough hours in the day!). So I was wondering if it is possible to create game transcripts and macros like you can when creating or playing an ADRIFT game?
The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust, The Lost Children, Run, Bronwynn, Run, The Call of the Shaman, The Lost Labyrinth of Lazaitch, Magnetic Moon, Starship Quest, Revenge of the Space Pirates
Lazzah

Re: Game Transcripts & Macros in other IF Sytems

Postby Duncan_B » Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:37 am

I think in Inform the command is >SCRIPT ON or >TRANSCRIPT ON or something like that. I guess you could use screen capture software if working on a graphical adventure?
Duncan_B

Postby David Whyld » Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:50 am

In Inform, you can use CTRL + L to open up a separate window where all the game's text is saved then copy and paste it from there.
David Whyld

Postby Lazzah » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:18 am

Thank you Duncan & David,

I just wanted to know if you could, didn't need to know how! :haha:

It occured to me that someone who has playtested an game written with Inform would know how to create a game transcript for playtesting purposes.

How about macros?
The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust, The Lost Children, Run, Bronwynn, Run, The Call of the Shaman, The Lost Labyrinth of Lazaitch, Magnetic Moon, Starship Quest, Revenge of the Space Pirates
Lazzah

Postby David Whyld » Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:02 pm

I'm not sure about macros in Inform 7. What is it you're trying to do?
David Whyld

Postby Lazzah » Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:20 pm

David Whyld wrote:I'm not sure about macros in Inform 7. What is it you're trying to do?

I'm not trying to do anything. I just wondered if it was possible to create transcripts/macros in games written with other systems like you can with ADRIFT5 games? A simple yes or no would have sufficed. :-)
Lazzah

Postby David Whyld » Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:29 pm

Well, as I don't know whether you can have macros in Inform 7 games, my simple yes or no answer would be... dunno.
David Whyld

Postby Lazzah » Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:44 pm

David Whyld wrote:Well, as I don't know whether you can have macros in Inform 7 games, my simple yes or no answer would be... dunno.

"Dunno"! But David, I thought that by now you would be an expert on Inform7???? rofl
Lazzah

Postby David Whyld » Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:31 pm

Nope. I've got quite a few works in progress on the go with Inform 7, but I don't pretend to understand its inner workings. While I've never heard of macros being used that doesn't mean there aren't any.
David Whyld

Postby Lazzah » Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:06 pm

David Whyld wrote:I've got quite a few works in progress on the go with Inform 7

I bet not one of 'em will ever get finished. :haha:
Lazzah

Postby P/o Prune » Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:19 pm

Lazzah wrote:
David Whyld wrote:I've got quite a few works in progress on the go with Inform 7

Not quite fair Lazzah, considering that David is one of the most productive authors I've come across . :|
D-Day in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
Just a Fairy Tale: 97kb
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby David Whyld » Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:39 pm

I have every intention of finishing at least some of them. My IntroComp entry from last year is coming along nicely and there are a couple of other games I started work on with ADRIFT that I'm converting to Inform 7 which ought to be out this year.
David Whyld

Postby Lazzah » Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:06 pm

Po. Prune wrote:
Lazzah wrote:

Not quite fair Lazzah, considering that David is one of the most productive authors I've come across . :|

It was supposed to be a joke, hence the :haha: !!
Lazzah

Postby ralphmerridew » Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:02 am

Creating testing macros in I7:
Add a line like
adrift Code: Select all

test game with "go north / take avocado / put avocado in pot"...

(These macros are available in a debug version of the game, but not in a general release version.)

For transcripts, have a player type "SCRIPT" at some point; everything after that will be recorded to file.
There's also the skein system, which allows you to quickly check that making some change doesn't affect other things.
Bloodhounds can make you laugh and cuss in the same breath. They are endearing, faithful, and can sling drool ten feet in any direction. -- Virginia Lanier
ralphmerridew

Postby Lazzah » Wed May 14, 2014 1:57 pm

ralphmerridew wrote:For transcripts, have a player type "SCRIPT" at some point; everything after that will be recorded to file.

Hi rm,

Thanks for that, very useful as I am currently playtesting a game written using Inform7 by one of our fellow Drifters.
Lazzah

Return to General IF