ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

ADRIFT Vs ?

The place to chat about ideas, writing, this forum, or anything related to Interactive Fiction that isn't specific to ADRIFT.

Please also visit the Interactive Fiction Community Forum for further discussions.

Re: ADRIFT Vs ?

Postby Campbell » Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:21 am

ADRIFT 4 and ADRIFT 5 are pretty similar really, the latter being based upon the former and essentially just having more options. The only real difference is tasks - everything in ADRIFT 4 was a General task so you had to define how each task was parsed, but that was it's main flaw because if one task didn't cover all possibilities of another or the Runner default, you ran into problems.
ADRIFT Developer developer.
Campbell
Site Admin

Postby razor77 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:36 am

more options for restrictions and actions. thus less time spent on workarounds. plus the language resource file was a colossal cluster(beep). :)
razor77

Postby Lumin » Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:04 am

Listen here son, I've been posting on this here message board for a third of my entire existence on Earth, I know what I'm talking about. Back in my day we didn't need no newfangled functions with their weird random punctuation marks to write a game, we did everything with good old-fashioned drop-down boxes and we liked it that way.

Back in my day we also had things called 'shift keys' we used when posting on message boards. Also get a haircut, you filthy hippy.
Currently working on: Nada. Zip. Zilch. [Check this space later.]
Lumin

Postby Duncan_B » Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:20 am

Lumin wrote:Listen here son, I've been posting on this here message board for a third of my entire existence on Earth, I know what I'm talking about. Back in my day we didn't need no newfangled functions with their weird random punctuation marks to write a game, we did everything with good old-fashioned drop-down boxes and we liked it that way.

Back in my day we also had things called 'shift keys' we used when posting on message boards. Also get a haircut, you filthy hippy.

rofl Good times.

Just throwing this out there, but Twine is pretty easy to use, too. Has anyone else besides David W. and me had a crack at it?
Duncan_B

Postby Lumin » Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:14 am

I haven't attempted a Twine game, but I actually love the program, I use it for organizing outlines and notes and such for my WIPs.
Lumin

Postby Campbell » Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:52 am

Lumin wrote:Listen here son, I've been...
rofl
ADRIFT Developer developer.
Campbell
Site Admin

Postby David Whyld » Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:57 am

I always think Twine could benefit from a few good old fashioned drop boxes for the complex stuff. Having to remember variable names is a pain and I'm forever running into errors because I've typed the wrong thing in. But yes it's a very easy program to write a game.
David Whyld

Postby razor77 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:27 pm

i have used it. very easy to use but if u do anything complex your outline will look like a giant spider web lol
razor77

Postby Lumin » Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:36 pm

Oh nevermind, I was just doing some reading on another forum and I've realized I don't like Twine games anymore.

Because I'm a misogynist, you see.
Lumin

Postby David Whyld » Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:09 pm

Ah, you saw the recent mess on Intfiction? One of the most ridiculous things I've ever seen on the internet (and considering this is the internet, that's saying something). I should probably swear off reviewing Twine games in case the author happens to be black and I get branded racist for disliking their games.
David Whyld

Postby Lumin » Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:27 pm

'Ridiculous' and 'mess' basically describes that entire forum. It's just a handful of the whitest and most passive-aggressive people in the world occasionally getting into slapfights when they even bother to post anything at all. And not even the entertaining kind of slapfights. There's no real game discussion anymore so it's not worthwhile or remotely fun to even lurk. Actually makes me miss the RAIF days and I never thought anything would ever make me say that...
Lumin

Postby ralphmerridew » Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:54 pm

Lumin wrote:when they even bother to post anything at all.

Until the last few days, that described the ADRIFT forum much better.
Bloodhounds can make you laugh and cuss in the same breath. They are endearing, faithful, and can sling drool ten feet in any direction. -- Virginia Lanier
ralphmerridew

Postby Lumin » Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:59 pm

Hey this place may be completely dead most of the time but at least when we bother to have discussions (once every thousand years when the planets align) we all get along. :P
Lumin

Postby David Whyld » Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:07 pm

Well, I trust Intfiction are happy with the way the whole mess ended. The admin quit, several other people left and haven't been back since, and there's now a silly Codes of Conduct in place (check it out at http://www.intfiction.org/conduct.html - good for a laugh if nothing else) which I imagine most people won't read and most will simply ignore. In other words, everything is just the same.
David Whyld

Postby Lumin » Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:25 pm

David Whyld wrote:Well, I trust Intfiction are happy with the way the whole mess ended. The admin quit, several other people left and haven't been back since, and there's now a silly Codes of Conduct in place (check it out at http://www.intfiction.org/conduct.html - good for a laugh if nothing else) which I imagine most people won't read and most will simply ignore. In other words, everything is just the same.

Spoilers, David. I'm still reading that trainwreck and now you ruined the ending. Image

Those rules are great though, I like how they need twelve separate points to describe in detail 'how to be civil'.

(Hmm, now I'm wondering if it's possible to craft one single glorious post that breaks every rule on the list. Maybe a project for the new year...)
Lumin

PreviousNext

Return to General IF