ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

What's the future of parser IF?

The place to chat about ideas, writing, this forum, or anything related to Interactive Fiction that isn't specific to ADRIFT.

Please also visit the Interactive Fiction Community Forum for further discussions.

Re: What's the future of parser IF?

Postby ralphmerridew » Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:02 am

It's doable in Inform, but you'll need to do a fair amount of it yourself. You'd need to use the Glimmr extension.
Bloodhounds can make you laugh and cuss in the same breath. They are endearing, faithful, and can sling drool ten feet in any direction. -- Virginia Lanier
ralphmerridew

Postby Kennedy » Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:23 am

Lumin wrote:
Kennedy wrote:One of my favorite programs for writing adventure games was "World Builder" for the Macintosh. It was a bit like Adrift 4 in that it supported a combat system and had characters and objects as separate things. But it also allowed you to have background graphics for rooms, and then display the graphics for characters and objects on top of that. If this is possible to do in any other IF authoring system I'd like to know which one.

I don't think there's any IF systems that handle graphics like that, at least not as far as I'm aware. Have you looked at RPG Maker?

Think I have some of the RPG Maker programs on my machine, Though it'd probably be better to use Adventure Game Studio as I was able to create a module that would allow users to add parser functionality to their games, but it was written for AGS 2.7

ralphmerridew wrote:It's doable in Inform, but you'll need to do a fair amount of it yourself. You'd need to use the Glimmr extension.

Is the Glimmr extension available at the Inform website? I've got version 7 of Inform, but it seems rather complex.
Kennedy

Postby David Whyld » Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:18 am

I wonder if graphical IF will become the norm in the future. It doesn't appeal to me a whole lot - I've always preferred the text-only approach - but I remember someone showing off a demo on IntFiction one time which was basically a text adventure with a graphical interface. (If that makes any sense at all.) The player would type in commands and the interface would change as a result. It was pretty cool.

Of course, that was a custom-made system and nothing you could do with any of the standard systems around today, but maybe in the future it would be possible. Wrap the whole thing up in a nice easy GUI interface, include some basic graphic packages that your average non-artist user can get to grips with, and you could well have a graphical IF game.
David Whyld

Postby Lumin » Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:59 pm

So the game had no graphics itself, just a graphical interface? Did you still type commands to play or was it click-based?

Either way, I think all-text games still have the potential to be popular, though of course it helps to wrap it in a pretty package and make it as accessible as possible.
Currently working on: Nada. Zip. Zilch. [Check this space later.]
Lumin

Postby David Whyld » Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:10 pm

It was the same kind of graphical interface you'd get in something like "Half Life". You could approach a door and type OPEN DOOR and the door would open, or X DOOR to examine it and so on. It was only a demo but I remember being quite impressed with it.
David Whyld

Postby Lumin » Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:22 pm

David Whyld wrote:It was the same kind of graphical interface you'd get in something like "Half Life". You could approach a door and type OPEN DOOR and the door would open, or X DOOR to examine it and so on. It was only a demo but I remember being quite impressed with it.

Huh. I kind of want to read up on this now. Do you remember the name of the game or the company?
Currently working on: Nada. Zip. Zilch. [Check this space later.]
Lumin

Postby David Whyld » Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:31 pm

It was mentioned in this thread:

http://www.intfiction.org/forum/viewtop ... 22&t=11564

Nothing much has happened since so maybe it never went beyond the drawing board stage, but it looked like it had a lot of potential.
David Whyld

Postby ElliotM » Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:38 pm

Kennedy wrote:One of my favorite programs for writing adventure games was "World Builder" for the Macintosh. It was a bit like Adrift 4 in that it supported a combat system and had characters and objects as separate things. But it also allowed you to have background graphics for rooms, and then display the graphics for characters and objects on top of that. If this is possible to do in any other IF authoring system I'd like to know which one.

Did a quick google and it appears World Builder made point and click games. I know of several point and click authoring tools but they don't have as extensive world states as IF typically does. I also cant vouch for their ease of use compared to world builder.

Point and click games can be made using Adventure Game Studio and Wintermute Engine, both of which specialize in point and click games and are free. Renpy and NoveltyVN, which specialize in Visual Novels, can also be made to do point and click. All four support layering sprites on top of back ground images. However, the default world states aren't as complex as in IF but certainly could be extended provided one knows how to do scripting.

Finding an IF authoring system that can lean more towards point and click side of things is a bit tougher. Generally most IF Authoring Systems don't provide hot spots or image layering, though there are some options out there I think.
ElliotM

Previous

Return to General IF