ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Game Update

The place to chat about ideas, writing, this forum, or anything related to Interactive Fiction that isn't specific to ADRIFT.

Please also visit the Interactive Fiction Community Forum for further discussions.

Game Update

Postby Eminor » Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:33 am

Hello guys :)

I thought I'd let you know that the game I'm currently making is growing out of his womb, some delays occured (as it always is) for a couple of reasons, one of those is worth it though :)

The boring thing is that I'm suddently on the move... I'm gonna offset my current position of about 300km... tomorrow... :nerves: There won't be an internet connection where I'm going, but I have mobile internet on a stick I hope I'll be able to use. Hopefully I'll be able to bring my PC along with my notebook so that I may work on the visual part of the game as well, if that won't be so, then you'll have to do with a game with no visual content :cry:

The interesting thing is that I'm taking longer than what expected because I am "stuck" in a gameplay heavy portion of the game, but no worries, all the gameplay elements for said portion are in place and working, I am just applying them to different contexts, debugging that bit, and repeat, it's a long process but just routine, AND is like half of the game alrady done and mostly debugged.

When I will end the game completely, but without having debugged all possible "out of context" player inputs I'll release the game as alpha if you people would like me to, after that I'll clear all possible issues and release it as beta where, if you'd like to, you could help me debug it 100% by posting the various problems that you encounter.

Sounds good? Let me know :)

Want to know more what the game is all about, what to expect and why? Again let me know :)

cheerios O
Eminor

Re: Game Update

Postby Po. Prune » Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:14 am

:wink: Well, looks like you've run into what usually happens to all of us at one point or the other. Real life suddenly shows its ugly face messing up every well laid plan.
I think that we all have experienced the "getting stuck" thingy for various reasons. My best advice is to leave the game and just go about your normal business. Then all of a sudden the solution will come to you. I've been there quite a few times and it has always worked for me.
I stongly advice against sending out an Alpha version.
People who play the ALpha version will (in my experience) be less likely to play the Beta or the final release which means that you may get reviews based on the Alpha version rather than the final release which, of course, will be a lot better.
When you're done with your game, leave it for 2 - 3 weeks (Yes, that sounds cruel, I know :cry: ) then go back and play through it. You'll be amazed by the number of bugs you'll find. Then when you've cleaned up those bugs ask in the forum for beta testers and have them play your game. All done?
Well, now you can publish your game. :D
D-Day V.5 in progress 79Kb so far (slowly getting there)
Anno 1700 in progress 111Kb
Po. Prune

Re: Game Update

Postby Eminor » Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:48 pm

Po. Prune wrote::wink: Well, looks like you've run into what usually happens to all of us at one point or the other. Real life suddenly shows its ugly face messing up every well laid plan.
I think that we all have experienced the "getting stuck" thingy for various reasons. My best advice is to leave the game and just go about your normal business. Then all of a sudden the solution will come to you. I've been there quite a few times and it has always worked for me.
I stongly advice against sending out an Alpha version.
People who play the ALpha version will (in my experience) be less likely to play the Beta or the final release which means that you may get reviews based on the Alpha version rather than the final release which, of course, will be a lot better.
When you're done with your game, leave it for 2 - 3 weeks (Yes, that sounds cruel, I know :cry: ) then go back and play through it. You'll be amazed by the number of bugs you'll find. Then when you've cleaned up those bugs ask in the forum for beta testers and have them play your game. All done?
Well, now you can publish your game. :D

Thanks man, that was a very well thought advice and it was exactly what I was looking for. At the moment I'm mostly driving around all day and organizing some important things that I need to do, I still manage to work an hour each couple of days, it's not much but the game grows rapidly from the point where it stands now, hopefully just need not to worry about a thing, every little thing is gonna be alright xD Cheerio :)
Eminor

Return to General IF