ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Adrift 4

The place to chat about ideas, writing, this forum, or anything related to Interactive Fiction that isn't specific to ADRIFT.

Please also visit the Interactive Fiction Community Forum for further discussions.

Adrift 4

Postby highways » Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:00 am

Is this the Adrift 4 site where answers to problems get fixed?????
Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit. (No man is at all times wise)
highways

Re: Adrift 4

Postby ElliotM » Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:50 am

What kind of questions do you have? I don't know of any other Adrift 4 sites, but there are plenty of helpful folk over here.
ElliotM

Postby David Whyld » Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:53 am

Not many people use ADRIFT these days, as you may have noticed from how quiet the forum is, and I think most of the ADRIFT 4 crowd have moved on to other systems. (Like me.)
David Whyld

Postby Campbell » Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:14 am

Thanks for that David. Yes highways, although I would direct any ADRIFT 4 questions to the 3.9 and 4.0 section of the forum. What seems to be the problem?
ADRIFT Developer developer.
Campbell
Site Admin

Postby highways » Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:58 am

ElliotM wrote:What kind of questions do you have? I don't know of any other Adrift 4 sites, but there are plenty of helpful folk over here.

This was my 'kicking the teddy bear into the corner' mode. My point is; that although there maybe plenty of helpful folk around who look at the topic, it doesn't always get answered. Therefore do i assume that the reader; doesn't understand the question, or doesn't know the answer, or doesn't care?
it doesn't take a genius to realise which one i took on board. By-the-by i am not a genius, and place a topic because i have a problem which i have not been able to resolve myself. A short reply of acknowledgement [haven't a clue] would stop grumpy old men like me placing unwelcome retorts.
highways

Postby David Whyld » Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:43 am

If someone posts a query which I know the answer to, I'll generally reply unless someone else has beaten me to it, but I wouldn't reply if I didn't know it. There's nothing very helpful about 20+ replies to a topic all saying "dunno, mate".

But like I said before, most of the ADRIFT 4 crowd have moved on so there probably aren't that many people still here that would know the answer to your questions. I still check the forum out regularly but it's a couple of years now since I last used ADRIFT, so I'm not 100% sure about a lot of it these days.
David Whyld

Postby ElliotM » Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:07 pm

highways wrote:My point is; that although there maybe plenty of helpful folk around who look at the topic, it doesn't always get answered. Therefore do i assume that the reader; doesn't understand the question, or doesn't know the answer, or doesn't care?

Fair enough, I can relate to that. Getting zero feedback on something can be frustrating.
ElliotM

Postby highways » Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:58 pm

Thank you for the assistance, and i take on board David's 20+ negative replies and yes ElliotM; frustration sums it all up. I wasn't aware of the exodus from Adrift as my wisdom is limited and therefore only concern myself with my own topic.

I will learn to cuddle my 'teddy bear' and wait out in hope.
highways

Postby Po. Prune » Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:15 pm

Highways, why don't you jump into the pond... eyes closed, and holding your nose...
See what happens.. Yes, David's right, the Adrift forum has been kind of in a coma.. but hey, Campbell just had a son... well it was actually his wife, but who's counting... :whistle:
I think that most "drifters" have moved on to Version 5 (except David :whistle: ) and Campbell is probably (yes, I know.. you are here to ralphmerridew) the only one answering the adrift 4 questions. But you'll never get an answer unless you ask, right?
D-Day V.5 in progress 79Kb so far (slowly getting there)
Anno 1700 in progress 111Kb
Po. Prune

Postby highways » Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:10 pm

Thank you Po.Prune... but i would probably forget to hold my nose. However I will take this opportunity to do just as you say.
Having played around with vs4 on and off for 7 years? I like and understand it!!, and eventually with a lot of tenacity and help i manage to achieve my aim. However there are some quirks and 'nasties'.

I have looked at vs5 and nothing leaped out and said hello!. so...[bearing in mind i am 71; fall into the category of 'old dogs and new tricks'.... i can run after the ball... but don't always know what to do with it when i get it.]... i think it is logical to let it stay where it is for the moment. But......if Campbell has stopped rectifying the quirks and nasties in vs4, it seems more logical to move onto vs5.

I think i will leave it there for the moment and see if i can put my vs4 'taf' file onto vs5. As you say 'into the pond' i will bear you in mind when i need the clothes peg for the nose.

If you read this Campbell, my heartiest congratulations to both of you.
highways

Return to General IF