ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Let's talk WIPs!

The place to chat about ideas, writing, this forum, or anything related to Interactive Fiction that isn't specific to ADRIFT.

Please also visit the Interactive Fiction Community Forum for further discussions.

Let's talk WIPs!

Postby Lumin » Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:58 pm

I thought this section of the board looked lonely, so let's consider this a general chat thread in the vein of all those 'What are you working on?' topics we used to have. Whatever writing related thing you're working on, ADRIFT game or otherwise, IF or otherwise, drop in any time and talk about it here. Whether you want to ramble on about the entire project in general, or whatever specific bit you're working on, or some theoretical future project or bit you'd like to work on, this is the thread for you! :D

I can't speak for everyone, but I know that, for me at least, reading discussion about writing IF makes me want to write IF, just like reading discussion of a specific game makes me want to play it. I think semi-regular progress reports will be a good way to remind us all that yes, there is life out there and projects are being worked on. And for those of us struggling with our WIPs, it might be inspiring to know that yes, there are people interested in what we're doing who want to see a finished product. And a thread like this might occasionally provide a little kick in the butt to keep us all on task as well. :wink:

So okay, I'll start:

Tonight I'm going to do some more work on my combat demo. I still don't know whether I'll include it in the main game, and I still have very little idea of what I'm actually doing, but it's been fun trying to figure out so far and it's something I want to complete for its own sake, or if nothing else for the learning experience.

Oh, and earlier I wrote a few descriptions for a different game. It's sort of a pattern I've fallen into and it really works for me....take my time working on a tiny low-stress game or just adding a couple things to Open World in the morning before work, and then at night once I get home and settle down I try to tackle some specific technical hurdle. Even if I can't get it working the way I want or I get too tired too fast, I know I at least got something accomplished that morning so it's not quite as frustrating as it would normally be. :)
Currently working on: Nada. Zip. Zilch. [Check this space later.]
Lumin

Re: Let's talk WIPs!

Postby Po. Prune » Wed Dec 31, 2014 6:12 am

Great Idea, Lumin :thanks:
I've got a few WIP's of my own... I've walked open eyed into the trap of starting more than one game and of course they are now all on the back burner...

1: D-day ... Yes, I'm still working on it :whistle: I've got pretty much everything in order but I have problems with the way the Graphics are displayed in the runner window. I hope (and plan) to at least have it ready for testing this year.

2: The Code ... This mystery adventure takes place in Copenhagen and involve the rescueing of a North Korean professor. But as Things often are in the World of cloaks and daggers, Things are not what they seem.

3: 1940 (working title) A romantic ghost story about a Battle of Britain pilot.
D-Day V.5 in progress 79Kb so far (slowly getting there)
Anno 1700 in progress 111Kb
Po. Prune

Postby Lazzah » Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:03 am

I have three games that I am working on at the moment:

The Axe of Kolt: You may recall that I released this game just after the New Year in 2014 after it had been playtested by just one playtester. Someone started playing the game and straight away found some minor bugs, so I withdrew it. I now have three more playtesters working on AoK and it will be released once they are all done.

The Spectre of Castle Coris: This game is finished and has been playtested once. When my other playtesters have finished AoK I hope that they will start playtesting this game.

Die Feuerfaust - The Fist of Fire: This is my current WIP and is nearing completion. Hopefully playtesting will commence in the New Year.
OUT NOW: The Lost Children
Current W.I.P.: Magnetic Moon
Also available: The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust - The Fist of Fire
Lazzah

Postby Lumin » Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:00 pm

Good to hear D-Day is still coming along, I remember playing the demo for that ages and ages ago. :) Hope you get the graphics issues sorted out, Po.

And Lazzah, you're sitting on not one, but two huge, completed games? Wow, I really am jealous now! :shock:

I've got a remake of Aegis in the works that I really need to get back to soon, and one smallish game more or less complete I'm thinking of maaaaybe trying to polish up enough to put in the ParserComp, but other than that most of my WIPs with any substantial work done on them are things I'm just working on now and then for their own sake, even if they were finished I'm honestly not sure if they're anything I'd want to release into the wild at this point.
Lumin

Postby Lyricasylum » Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:49 pm

I'm working on my first IF in Adrift. It's called An Adventurer's Backyard, and is basically a treasure hunt.

I'm dating myself here, but I used to write IF in various versions of BASIC. That's why like Adrift so much- in BASIC, you had to code everything, including basic commands such as GO NORTH. But now that it's no longer the 1980s, I can actually use a program that does most of the work for me!

I've also started writing another adventure called Galen's Quest. It's one that I started writing using BASIC over 20 years ago but never finished. Now I hope to finish it in Adrift.
Lyricasylum

Postby Lumin » Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:52 pm

Well I was going to give all the usual advice like 'don't overreach yourself on your first game and it's okay to start small' and all that, but looks like you're not exactly a newbie to IF after all!

Oh, and Lazzah used to write games on the Spectrum, so you're not exactly alone here in being an old-school IF fan. :)
Lumin

Postby Hensman Int'l » Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:23 pm

While fighting a bug I'm puttering on the computer. We bought a house Nov. '13, and I am working on a virtual tour (no pictures :blush: ) on Adrift 5 for the Drifters enjoyment. I want to get the "game" finished long before the house projects as they cost $$! There are several other actual games I've got on the back burner, but ... "Life! Don't talk to me about life!" (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy)
Officially and Fully Released:
The Fly Human (v.4) - 2010
Brain Dead Weekend (v.4) - 2011
Hensman Int'l

Postby Lumin » Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:13 pm

'Sup Hensman? Been a little while...I guess 'new house' is an acceptable excuse though. :D

Just fyi there's a 1 NPC, 2 room mini comp going on till the end of January if you get inspired to try something new while puttering.

Working on mine right now, setting up a bunch of commands on a computer the player uses and trying to figure out just how complicated I want to make this...
Lumin

Return to General IF