ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Commercial ADRIFT game.

The place to chat about ideas, writing, this forum, or anything related to Interactive Fiction that isn't specific to ADRIFT.

Please also visit the Interactive Fiction Community Forum for further discussions.

Commercial ADRIFT game.

Postby Microfrog » Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:29 pm

I've tried looking up information about this particular subject but haven't had any luck yet.

With the success of text-based games and retro inspired games on the commercial indy market, thanks to great platforms such as Valve's Steam, the question I have in mind is this: If somebody wanted to make a full-fledged ADRIFT game and sell it on Steam for a buck or two, are there any legal ramifications to it? In other words, would it be possible to sell an ADRIFT game?

I believe with the way things are going, thanks to such engines as Twine, more and more people are getting back into the wonderful world of text games, whether they're text adventures or choose-your-own adventures, and it might very well be possible to see games made by something like ADRIFT pop up on Steam or similar mediums.

What do you all think?
Current Project: Alchemancer
Microfrog

Re: Commercial ADRIFT game.

Postby Campbell » Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:53 pm

You are free to sell games you create using ADRIFT, so long as it is clear that it is the game itself you are selling (whether that is packaged as a blorb or exe) and not the ADRIFT software.
ADRIFT Developer developer.
Campbell
Site Admin

Re: Commercial ADRIFT game.

Postby Microfrog » Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:05 pm

Alrighty, thanks a bunch. :)
Current Project: Alchemancer
Microfrog

Return to General IF