ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

I Miss This Place...

The place to chat about ideas, writing, this forum, or anything related to Interactive Fiction that isn't specific to ADRIFT.

Please also visit the Interactive Fiction Community Forum for further discussions.

I Miss This Place...

Postby Corey Arnett » Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:12 am

Thinking I should log on more often. Going to spend some time reading and catching up. :)
Truth is ever to be found in simplicity, and not in the multiplicity and confusion of things . . .

Check Out PROVENANCE - a full size text adventure at the Interactive Fiction Archive.
Corey Arnett

Re: I Miss This Place...

Postby Po. Prune » Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:37 am

Hey Corey.
Welcome back.... It's a little slow around here at times.. but yes, you should definitely stick around :wink:
D-Day V.5 in progress 79Kb so far (slowly getting there)
Anno 1700 in progress 111Kb
Po. Prune

Postby Lumin » Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:11 pm

Oh wow. I remember that guy!

Er, I think... :P

Hey Corey, been awhile but welcome back! We are going through a deeper hibernation period an usual it's true, but one more person around to chat with can only improve things.
Currently working on: Nada. Zip. Zilch. [Check this space later.]
Lumin

Postby Duncan_B » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:23 pm

Welcome back. Looking forward to your next game, Corey. Do you have any plans?
Duncan_B

Postby Corey Arnett » Sat May 02, 2015 5:32 am

I have this idea that I have been kicking around. Really short games. You know, playable in 15-20 minutes start to finish. Maybe like a continuing series of mini adventures? Low difficulty level at first to get the newbie player interested but then kick it up a notch in each episode as they get the gist of IF.
Truth is ever to be found in simplicity, and not in the multiplicity and confusion of things . . .

Check Out PROVENANCE - a full size text adventure at the Interactive Fiction Archive.
Corey Arnett

Postby Duncan_B » Sat May 02, 2015 4:55 pm

Might I make a suggestion? Consider your audience. Almost none of the members of the ADRIFT community (or none of the active members, anyway) are newbies. That goes for the wider IF Community, too, especially anybody likely to review a game. So while an episodic structure is a sound idea-- even a really good one that a game-hungry community is likely to embrace-- I think you might do well to skip the "intro to IF" bits and just jump into making whatever it is that most fascinates you. Not that low difficulty or a slow build are bad or unwanted per se, just that an 'introductory' style might be a bit unnecessary.
Duncan_B

Postby Lumin » Sun May 03, 2015 6:19 am

Mini games are always fun to just mess around with, but IMO they'd be even more attractive as a click and play thing and make it more of a shame than usual that ADRIFT games can't be played online.

Anyway, I've considered doing something similar...sometimes I get an idea for a specific puzzle or scene that I know I'll never get around into incorporating into a real game, and I wonder whether they'd be worthwhile to just upload on their own.
Currently working on: Nada. Zip. Zilch. [Check this space later.]
Lumin

Return to General IF