ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Should I change character's name?

The place to chat about ideas, writing, this forum, or anything related to Interactive Fiction that isn't specific to ADRIFT.

Please also visit the Interactive Fiction Community Forum for further discussions.

Should I change character's name?

Postby ParadoxGames » Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:17 pm

I've been developing the backstory in my game's world very extensively. The U.S. president in the game is named Fahrooq, a homonym to the name of the terrorist shooter in San Bernardino. This was the name long before the incident and it took me by surprise when I heard it. Should I change the name? I would rather not, but If I release the game, people may think I adopted the name from the incident. Terrorism is not brought up in my game. What do you suggest?
ParadoxGames

Re: Should I change character's name?

Postby BBBen » Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:34 am

It's a common enough name and I personally wouldn't assume any connection. When's the release likely to be? If it's not for a while yet then I don't think anyone will even notice.
BBBen

Re: Should I change character's name?

Postby ParadoxGames » Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:59 pm

I didn't know it was a common name. I actually thought it was an Indian name. It won't be released for a long time since I delved into a major production, so thank you for the tip.
ParadoxGames

Return to General IF