ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

What are you working on in 2016?

The place to chat about ideas, writing, this forum, or anything related to Interactive Fiction that isn't specific to ADRIFT.

Please also visit the Interactive Fiction Community Forum for further discussions.

What are you working on in 2016?

Postby Po. Prune » Mon Dec 28, 2015 7:35 am

OK! Let's give it another go.
Apart from 2015 it has almost been a tradition (started by David W?) that there’s a WIP thread each year.
So don’t be shy. Tell us a little about what you’re working on and let’s see how many games has actually been released at the end of the year. :whistle:

I have a couple of games on the cooker.
1: I'm (still) working on D-Day (will 2016 be the year? :shock: = )
Your first priority is to make it to the beach, preferably in one piece. Then you have to work your way inland past the enemy fortifications. Your rendezvous point is the crossroads approximately 5 miles from the coast. But will you make it?

2: "The Louisiana Mystery" (Working title) '
You play the role of a student majoring in History. To make ends meet you’ve taken summer job as a receptionist assistant in an old hotel on the coast of the Mexican Gulf. Sounds boring? Well, the fact that the hotel used to be a waterhole for the famous Pirate LeBeuf and his crew and the rumors of his lost treasure should make up for an interesting time.
D-Day V.5 in progress 79Kb so far (slowly getting there)
Anno 1700 in progress 111Kb
Po. Prune

Re: What are you working on in 2016?

Postby Lazzah » Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:27 pm

I have one game, Die Feuerfaust - The Fist of FIre, awaiting final playtesting and my WIP is The Lost Children. They are 3rd and 5th respectively in the Alaric Blackmoon series.
OUT NOW: The Lost Children
Current W.I.P.: Magnetic Moon
Also available: The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust - The Fist of Fire
Lazzah

Postby ParadoxGames » Tue Dec 29, 2015 5:57 pm

My two projects are:

1) my major project is called Project Entropy, and your role is a robot with a human mind uploaded into your system, the first of its kind. The entire story takes place in a building, where you're being watched by your creators before you're released into the world. It takes place in 2044.

2) I just started a rewrite of my first completed game, "Farmer's Dilemma". I intend to have it complete very quickly. It's based on a classic brain teaser, and I wrote it to get the hang of programming in ADRIFT.

3) I also just started mapping something I call "Dark Labyrinth". It's just some noodling and mainly just something I was doing to make the game map into a maze. The person is exploring a cave from ancient Crete. I intend to fill it with all sorts of monsters and stuff.
ParadoxGames

Postby Dksmall » Wed Dec 30, 2015 7:33 pm

My introduction to Adrift is to rewrite a game I released back in 1989 called Kquest II. There was a Kquest I, but it was more of an exercise in programming, rather then a decent game. Kquest II is your typical run around the castle doing things IF game.
Dksmall

Postby Dksmall » Wed Dec 30, 2015 7:34 pm

Lazzah wrote:I have one game, Die Feuerfaust - The Fist of FIre, awaiting final playtesting and my WIP is The Lost Children. They are 3rd and 5th respectively in the Alaric Blackmoon series.

nah, FOF is ready, it can't be beat up anymore. :)

If Lost Children is the 5th, what's the 4th?
Dksmall

Postby rotter » Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:34 pm

I'm working on one V5 game at the moment (also got a couple of Inform 7 nearing completion).

The Blank Wall (should be ready in 2016)
In this game you are trying to track down the evil serial killer Charles Bendell who has evaded capture for years. Taking place from 1962 to nearly the present day, you must bring him to justice.
This game originally won the "V5 Intro Competition" way back in 2012. I nearly had it finished when me and IF fell out. Breathed a bit of life into last year and it is currently undergoing the first round of testing at the moment.
Currently working on "The Blank Wall" in ADRIFT 5, "Word of the Day" and "Again and Again" in Inform 7.
Delron, the home of Otter Interactive Fiction.
rotter

Postby BenKurosu » Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:51 am

I'm working on my first IF yes...

Though I'm striving for something a lot more broad.
I'm completely looking past linear stories and character that lead you to eventually some predictable end point.
I want to make a complete open world text adventure. Where you're able to set choose how you play and such. While some have gotten close to this I've never found one to be able to fully achieve it. I believe that after tinkering around with Adrift V5. That it would be able to do just that. True there might be some limitations but I'll figure it out once I get there.

A short test and current stage was that I made a single linear path leading to a cottage within a forest. When in front of the cottage you find that the door is locked. To the west there is a man who owns the cottage.

A few options i thought of would be:
Find man, Steal key from him to open door. (This actually might be the only one i've mostly perfected.)
Talk to man ask for key. (I suck at trying to control the conversation but needless to say there is a way to ask for it.)
Knock on door and wait for someone. (There is another npc inside who I would try and make open the door.)
Find another way in (Through a backdoor, window, and etc.)
Smash down door with object (I had an axe be made for this but have yet to learn how to make the door remain broken, leaving the house entryway always open.)
Maybe even try and picklock the door (How i don't know...)

And more to come if i can think of it.

So it's been two days in since i started with ADRIFT. So as a complete newb when it comes to the creation of interactive fiction. I'd say that i could very well be hopeless in my pursuit to create this. Needless to say it'd be very time consuming creating scripts and properties and control variables that would allow the character to do other things.

Like i'd want a variable to control random events like rain. Even a passage of time depending on what action you did and where you did it.
Properties for stats for characters, and how to gain/lose depending on actions and things within the story.
Even things like professions giving you special abilities. (I.E. Thief being able to pick locks with a higher chance variable than others.)

And whilst i sound like i know any of these variables/properties. I'm simply going on a basis of calling out what i think would be what. I've tinkered with adrift a bit but I am still pretty much in the dark. Yet I still want to create an open world text adventure that really gives you freedom.

Not a dungeon crawler but an RPG. Whether your role is wanting to be a knight fighting in a war. A bar maiden serving ale at the pub. A monster hunter vying for a good hunt. I want to be able to choose.

I'd really welcome the suggestions and criticism and even more so help if anyone has successfully made a script or task that mimics something i'd need and teach me how to overall just use ADRIFT V5.

Thanks for reading!
BenKurosu

Postby Lazzah » Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:19 am

Dksmall wrote:If Lost Children is the 5th, what's the 4th?

The 4th in the "Alaric Blackmoon" series is "The Fortress of Fear".

The reason I started with that one was that it was unfinished from my Spectrum days (1990's). I did actually finish it using ACE (Adventure Creation Environment) which was a PC version of PAW (Professional Adventure Writer, which I used to write all of my Spectrum games), but we discovered that the game engine required to run ACE games - WinACE - was unstable under Windows 7 and the developer, Andy Clarke, was not interested in upgrading it. Hence my search for a new platform with which to re-write my games and my discovery of ADRIFT.
OUT NOW: The Lost Children
Current W.I.P.: Magnetic Moon
Also available: The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust - The Fist of Fire
Lazzah

Postby ParadoxGames » Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:00 pm

I'm still working on my first game: Project Entropy, a sci-fi game with social commentary. I made quite a bit of progress yesterday. It's up to 150 kb, which I recently realized is pretty substantial for a game that is ENTIRELY text, except for a single 480x480 jpg "cover image". i think I'm 25 to 30% complete. So far, there are fewer than 20 locations, but there will be quite a few more as i work on the game. It's designed to slowly open up as tasks are solved, so that everything's not overwhelming. It's very free-form, with a lot that the player character may do even in times when the gamer isn't in the mood for solving the game.
ParadoxGames

Postby Mystery » Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:05 am

In all honesty....I'm working on having one split second of personal time to do absolutely nothing. The only thing on my mind ADRIFT related is the Wolf Mansion....I think I will take that damn thing to my grave....but I would love to pass it off to someone else so I can get some peace!!!!

My heart wants to work on it...but my life says FU...work work work....so in my dreams it will always be.....
~Myst~
Mystery

Postby ralphmerridew » Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:22 pm

BenKurosu: Suggestion: start with a few small games (even if you don't redistribute them).
Bloodhounds can make you laugh and cuss in the same breath. They are endearing, faithful, and can sling drool ten feet in any direction. -- Virginia Lanier
ralphmerridew

Postby Po. Prune » Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:28 pm

ralphmerridew wrote:BenKurosu: Suggestion: start with a few small games (even if you don't redistribute them).

Not a bad piece of advise :wink:
D-Day V.5 in progress 79Kb so far (slowly getting there)
Anno 1700 in progress 111Kb
Po. Prune

Postby ElliotM » Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:16 pm

BenKurosu wrote:I want to make a complete open world text adventure.

Sounds cool. Do you know of any open ended text adventures that you could use as a model? For example, from the world of gamebooks I would recommend reading about the the Fabled Lands series. Closer to interactive fiction would of course would be things like MUDs, so any design tips for those would probably help, too. I would echo the others in saying that starting small is best.

One related piece of advice I have is that if you are trying something new, try it out in a new separate file first before bringing it into your main project - that way you make sure you can get it to work before cluttering up your main file with things you're not using or don't work, etc. This means that you can look back on these smaller specific files later in case you forgot how you did something. I helped someone do random weather over in the Adrift 5 subforum recently, so you might want to check that out. Feel free to post sample files showing what you are trying to do over in the Adrift 5 subforum whenever you're stuck or have questions.
ElliotM

Postby ParadoxGames » Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:34 pm

BenKurosu wrote:I'm working on my first IF yes...

So it's been two days in since i started with ADRIFT. So as a complete newb when it comes to the creation of interactive fiction. I'd say that i could very well be hopeless in my pursuit to create this. Needless to say it'd be very time consuming creating scripts and properties and control variables that would allow the character to do other things.

Like i'd want a variable to control random events like rain. Even a passage of time depending on what action you did and where you did it.
Properties for stats for characters, and how to gain/lose depending on actions and things within the story.
Even things like professions giving you special abilities. (I.E. Thief being able to pick locks with a higher chance variable than others.)

And whilst i sound like i know any of these variables/properties. I'm simply going on a basis of calling out what i think would be what. I've tinkered with adrift a bit but I am still pretty much in the dark. Yet I still want to create an open world text adventure that really gives you freedom.

Not a dungeon crawler but an RPG. Whether your role is wanting to be a knight fighting in a war. A bar maiden serving ale at the pub. A monster hunter vying for a good hunt. I want to be able to choose.

I'd really welcome the suggestions and criticism and even more so help if anyone has successfully made a script or task that mimics something i'd need and teach me how to overall just use ADRIFT V5.

Thanks for reading!

I'll give youy some criticism... WHAT DO YOU THINK YOU ARE DOING??!!! You've been using ADRIFT only two days and you're giving up? YOU CAN DO THIS! Why don't you make this rustic adventure free-form, but start with something smaller and shorter? After some experience, make your big freeform world. I discovered ADRIFT only a few months ago, and memories of writing the beginnings of a bold vision are fresh in my mind. I'm still working on my first as well. But when I have trouble doing something I ask here for help and then go do it. The people here are great! By the way, my game has changing weather (and although the weather's changed are controlled, I could easily make it random), you can add clocks and object properties like object.timereceived... and I don't have a concrete story, only an outline of what I want to do in each stage of the game, and I come up with puzzles and commands too. You can do it! The story in my game is also free form but leads to a definite ending, and I would like to see more of that in interactive fiction.
ParadoxGames

Postby BenKurosu » Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:16 pm

Right now i'm making slow but i guess progress xD? anyways right now i am doing smaller projects to start up, one i'm doing is a... well interactive version of a story i made. Right now i'm trying to split the tasks and playable moments from the story text and environment descriptions into something playable. The story wasnt complete but it got pretty far and it'd be interesting to see how i could make players go through as the main character, though unlike my target of a free roam open world text adventure, this one will be linear and what i hope to atleast do in this one is add a quest tracking system and a story so far system (when command is done it'll say the whole story up to the current event, so basically a readable version of all your actions) right now... BTW is a crop a static object or dynamic? i want to add a quest in the very beginning where the player needs to tend to some crops but i wonder how it'd act and if i need to attach it to another dynamic object, let's say being the ground (fertile soil or something) i also need to figure out how to even get started on working conversations. i dont understand how in the wiki so yeah. Anyways current goal, setup introduction, create a character that will give the main a task to tend crops, make tend crops a task with a set variable so the character who gave the task will be able to know whether the task was completed or not allowing the player to advance.

overall story will be short, alot of things just scripted. i would want to do layered clothing with a full on battle system but right now that seems to stressful maybe ill send out a v2 but right now im focusing on making everything just linear and scripted so when battles do come you just have to fight using certain commands in a set order and it'll allow you to advance according to the original story line. So the player wont technically get as much freedom but it's start.
BenKurosu

Next

Return to General IF