ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Reminder: authors, please use "News" option on IFDB

The place to chat about ideas, writing, this forum, or anything related to Interactive Fiction that isn't specific to ADRIFT.

Please also visit the Interactive Fiction Community Forum for further discussions.

Reminder: authors, please use "News" option on IFDB

Postby Peter Pears » Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:44 am

Hello, authors! I'd like to bring to your attention that us players who see your games on IFDB, or even who come daily to the ADRIF site looking for your awesome games, have NO IDEA that you're updating the games.

"The Way Home" just appeared on IFDB. It's the 2nd part of a saga where the first part is The Dragon Diamond, and it's only because I took the trouble to make sure I'd already downloaded TDD that I realised it had gotten silently updated from v1 to v2.

On the same page I also saw a little something called "SoCC v.6.blorb". Looking at my games, I see I still had SoCC v.1.blorb. Quite a difference!

Authors, IFDB does have a very nifty feature called "news items", or something similar. Please consider using it whenever you update if your game is on IFDB (and if it isn't, could this place have a dedicated board for "game announcements"? If it did I'd follow THAT daily as well).

We players just want to make sure we play the latest version of your game. :) Please help us stay informed!
Peter Pears

Re: Reminder: authors, please use "News" option on IFDB

Postby Lazzah » Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:36 am

Peter Pears wrote:Hello, authors! I'd like to bring to your attention that us players who see your games on IFDB, or even who come daily to the ADRIF site looking for your awesome games, have NO IDEA that you're updating the games.

"The Way Home" just appeared on IFDB. It's the 2nd part of a saga where the first part is The Dragon Diamond, and it's only because I took the trouble to make sure I'd already downloaded TDD that I realised it had gotten silently updated from v1 to v2.

On the same page I also saw a little something called "SoCC v.6.blorb". Looking at my games, I see I still had SoCC v.1.blorb. Quite a difference!

Authors, IFDB does have a very nifty feature called "news items", or something similar. Please consider using it whenever you update if your game is on IFDB (and if it isn't, could this place have a dedicated board for "game announcements"? If it did I'd follow THAT daily as well).

We players just want to make sure we play the latest version of your game. :) Please help us stay informed!

It might help if you could provide us with the URL for this news items section on IFDB. I cannot see anything like it on the somewhat cluttered IFDB Home Page, which I am not familiar with.
OUT NOW: The Lost Children
Current W.I.P.: Magnetic Moon
Also available: The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust - The Fist of Fire
Lazzah

Postby Peter Pears » Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:52 am

Sure thing. Let's take, for example, your own game:

http://ifdb.tads.org/viewgame?id=3915i340rkbnb38l

If you scroll to the very bottom of the page, you will see at the far right the three following options: "View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item"

The last one is the one you want. Clicking that particular one for that particular game will get you:

http://ifdb.tads.org/editnews?type=G&so ... 40rkbnb38l

Any updates made in this manner will come up in the main page of IFDB, letting everyone know!

IMPORTANT: Some authors worry that adding too many news items is spamming. IT TOTALLY ISN'T. We WANT to know that your games are getting better. If you're doing some heavy testing and expect to have a new working release every two days for a month, sure, hold off on announcing until you think it's done, maybe, but until then - knock yourself out!
Peter Pears

Postby Denk » Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:18 pm

Thanks Peter for pointing that out. I will use the news feature next time I update a game.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Out now: The Royal Puzzle, The Way Home & The Dragon Diamond
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Denk

Return to General IF