ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Writing the transcript first

The place to chat about ideas, writing, this forum, or anything related to Interactive Fiction that isn't specific to ADRIFT.

Please also visit the Interactive Fiction Community Forum for further discussions.

Writing the transcript first

Postby Lumin » Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:31 pm

Scrivener being THE program I use for all writing things now, I've started out just writing out the text for descriptions and puzzles and events as the player would ideally experience it. Not too far in yet but it's going pretty well?

Has anyone here ever experimented with writing a game this way? It saves a lot of the tedium of clicking and avoids stopping and starting and losing momentum, and it'll be just a matter of copy and pasting and creating the actual tasks to have the game working in a rough state once I'm done.
Currently working on: Nada. Zip. Zilch. [Check this space later.]
Lumin

Re: Writing the transcript first

Postby DazaKiwi » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:42 am

Yes its a good method something that ElliotM suggested once as well. As you say you can just focus on being creative and then copy and paste. I think flow charts could also be handy in this way for puzzles or possible branches in the story as well there are some good free software for doing that, i recommend XMIND (http://www.xmind.net/pricing/) which has a free version that is not a trial, its quite easy to use and you can have multiple project files open like tab browsing.

I recently got Scrivener, but for my IF games i mainly use Outliner on my ipad. A free alternative to Scrivener (although much more basic) is ywriter (http://www.spacejock.com/yWriter5.html)its easy to use and you can create locations, characters and chapters as well as notes.
DazaKiwi

Postby David Whyld » Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:04 am

I tend to type out a lot of what I write in Word first due to the spellchecking in ADRIFT being somewhat basic and me being a fast but inaccurate typist. I also find it easier to write lengthy passages in Word than ADRIFT because it has the advantages of autotext and autocorrect, etc.
David Whyld

Postby Lumin » Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:24 pm

Proofreading being vastly easier when looking at a single document vs a billion tiny chunks of text on separate boxes is another benefit, absolutely.

Actually I really wish there was a way to mark rooms and objects in a document and then just import it and have ADRIFT recognize it somehow and create them. Even if you still had to manually connect them together afterwards, it still would streamline the whole process.

Scrivener I fell on love with simply for how easy it makes it to organize things. For the IF template I made I have all my usual stuff for character and setting details and notes, plus tabs for separate location groups/scene transitions. Another one specifically to keep track of plot necessary objects and tasks, character dialogue etc.

Even though I've wound up mostly writing everything in one document so far, hey it makes me feel very organized and it's there if I need it!
Lumin

Postby ralphmerridew » Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:57 am

I will join the recommendations to create a sample transcript.

Besides what others have mentioned, writing out a description of what can happen is helpful for getting things clear in your own mind. And if you ever ask for help on how to do some trickier part, having a sample transcript makes it clear what exactly you are trying to do.
Bloodhounds can make you laugh and cuss in the same breath. They are endearing, faithful, and can sling drool ten feet in any direction. -- Virginia Lanier
ralphmerridew

Postby Lumin » Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:41 pm

Well, slow going on this still as I got distracted this weekend and wrote 13000 words about lizard people.

It happens.
Lumin

Postby ParadoxGames » Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:31 am

I have an outline, but write the actual text when I get to it. For me it works much more smoothly. There are a few things I don't want to forget, like puzzle ideas and certain dialogue from characters, and I keep them on a notepad file just so I don't forget or neglect them
ParadoxGames

Return to General IF