ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

2018 Work Schedule

The place to chat about ideas, writing, this forum, or anything related to Interactive Fiction that isn't specific to ADRIFT.

Please also visit the Interactive Fiction Community Forum for further discussions.

2018 Work Schedule

Postby P/o Prune » Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:21 am

2017 is almost at its end. So let's take a look at the games released:
It amounts to 11 games in all. I guess you could say that it's not all that bad considering the traffic, or lack thereoff, on the Adrift scene.

Released Thu 2nd Mar 2017: The Royal Puzzle (41 Kb) By Tim Anderson, Marc Blank, Bruce Daniels, Dave Lebling (conversion by Kenneth Pedersen)

Released Thu 13th Apr 2017: Emily (19.12 Mb) By Palmer,

Released Thu 20th Jul 2017: Snowdrift (25 Kb) By Greg W

Released Sun 6th Aug 2017: The Last Expedition (68 Kb) By Daza

Released Sun 6th Aug 2017: The Tartarus Project (72 Kb) By Kenneth Pedersen

Released Mon 18th Sep 2017: Tingalan By William Dooling

Released Wed 27th Sep 2017: Trick of Treat (65 Kb) By David Whyld

Released Sat 11th Nov 2017: The Sun Obelisk AIF Version (145 Kb) By Christopher Cole

Released Tue 21st Nov 2017: H.P. Lovecraft’s Innsmouth: A Fanmade Simulated Environment (4.91 Mb) By M. Luna

Released Sat 25th Nov 2017: Land of the Mountain King (10.11 Mb) By Kenneth Pedersen

Released Thu 21st Dec 2017: Paradise hotel (AIF) (105 Kb) By cacov

So if anyone should have a little spare time on their hands feel free to check them out and write a short review. :whistle:

Now, on to 2018
What are you working on this year, and perhaps even more important what are you planning on releasing?
D-Day V.5 in progress 86Kb (On backburner)
Anno 1700 First beta test in progress.
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Re: 2018 Work Schedule

Postby P/o Prune » Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:50 am

D-Day:
I have made myself a promise that I will release this game this year. Hopefully on June 4 for obvious reasons.
I will not work on any other games, although there are a few in the boiler. This will be an all in effort.
You begin the game on a bone-breaking, teeth-rattling journy in a Higgins boat heading for the Omaha beach in Normandy.
Even if you make it to the shore and across the beach, you will still not be certain that you'll make it and finish your mission.
This is pretty much a game of chance, just like any war. I have tried to make it as merciful as possible so you should be able to make it if you keep your eyes open.
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby Lumin » Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:53 pm

You forgot Lazzah's game.

I intend to do some reviews, I just have to write....~11000 words before 9PM tomorrow to not lose a bet so I'll see you guys again in January.
Currently working on: Nada. Zip. Zilch. [Check this space later.]
Lumin

Postby P/o Prune » Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:11 pm

Lumin wrote:You forgot Lazzah's game.

I intend to do some reviews, I just have to write....~11000 words before 9PM tomorrow to not lose a bet so I'll see you guys again in January.

I'll see if I can find it.. But it didn't turn up on the download games page.
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby Lumin » Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:28 pm

Po. Prune wrote:
Lumin wrote:You forgot Lazzah's game.

I'll see if I can find it.. But it didn't turn up on the download games page.

Huh, it's just uploaded to the forum I guess. http://forum.adrift.co/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=11803
Lumin

Postby rotter » Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:31 pm

I can add three to the list (couple missing from Delron, must get those added):

Temperamentum by Matthew Sawchuk, IF Comp
Evil on Queen Street by ArdRi Games, AIF
Seduce Code by Octarine Flash, AIF

Also, has anyone spotted this game hiding the Games?

Tempus Fugit by Adamark Industries, released Sun 19th Nov 2017
Currently working on "The Blank Wall" in ADRIFT 5 and "Again and Again" in Inform 7.
Delron, the home of Otter Interactive Fiction.
rotter

Postby saabie » Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:09 am

There must be some AIF from BBBen as well, though as he continuously releases beta versions and updates finished games I'm not sure what the official release dates of his games are.
saabie

Postby David Whyld » Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:59 pm

I'm not 100% sure yet but I'll probably write an ADRIFT game next year. Part of me wants to, but at the same time another part is wondering how many people will actually play it.
##################################

In progress: Shadows of the Mind 87k and counting. ETA: sometime in 2018.
David Whyld

Postby Lumin » Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:44 pm

One of my New Year's resolutions is going to be an at minimum 'play it an hour or until I get stuck' attempt at any new ADRIFT game with a couple paragraphs of feedback after.

I mean, <15 games a year is typical so realistically this doesn't represent any kind of time sink.
Lumin

Postby David Whyld » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:38 pm

I've decided to go ahead and write an ADRIFT game after all. Using v4 recently made me remember how much fun it was to write games and while I've a lot of fondness for Inform, I never really enjoyed writing games with it. Too much stopping and starting and too much trying to figure stuff out for my liking. I don't know how many people will ultimately play my game - the likely answer: not that many - but I can live with that. I'm thinking of it along the lines of a book writer with a very limited target audience but who just wants to write a book for the sheer heck of it.

Anyway...

It's got a working title of Shadows of the Mind or Becoming - I've yet to decide which one I prefer - and it's about an individual with the unique ability to touch other people and *become* them. Literally jumping from one body to another. She doesn't get any of their memories or abilities, but assumes their physical appearance and any possessions they happen to be carrying. I've only just started writing it so a lot of the finer details are kind of hazy, but I have ideas for puzzles which can only be solved by certain 'hosts' as well as NPCs who react differently depending on who you happen to be at the time.

ETA: no idea really. Sometime in 2018 definitely but beyond that I can't really say.
##################################

In progress: Shadows of the Mind 87k and counting. ETA: sometime in 2018.
David Whyld

Postby P/o Prune » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:15 pm

David Whyld wrote:I've decided to go ahead and write an ADRIFT game after all. Using v4 recently made me remember how much fun it was to write games and while I've a lot of fondness for Inform, I never really enjoyed writing games with it. Too much stopping and starting and too much trying to figure stuff out for my liking. I don't know how many people will ultimately play my game - the likely answer: not that many - but I can live with that. I'm thinking of it along the lines of a book writer with a very limited target audience but who just wants to write a book for the sheer heck of it.

I'll be looking forward to play your game David. So that will be at least one! :wink:
Your post has made me think (wonder) what the reasons are that people are writing IF. But I'll address that in another thread. Would be interesting if we could get a discussion up and running about that topic.
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby Lumin » Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:38 pm

Not committing to anything just yet because lol my success rate there is historically...not good, but a game I have in mind is based on a short story for a writing prompt exercise that amounted to a theme of 'fantasy Mafia'.

The player would be an enforcer for a family of elven nobles that have been feuding with another family for centuries, with their activities now driven underground and expanding to involve smuggling as in the meantime a human-controlled city has sprung up around them. The actual game would be about a single mission to retrieve a daughter who had married into the rival family ahead of an all out war breaking out.
Lumin

Postby RenatoDias » Sat May 19, 2018 5:14 pm

I plan to release NeoCom: Fight for Freedom on mid-july and the portuguese version of it in August.
First demo will be up on May 22nd, up to the end of Act 1.
RenatoDias

Postby The0didactus » Sat May 19, 2018 6:14 pm

I will be releasing an update/expansion for Tingalan sometime in the next two weeks.

I will be beginning work on Six Silver Bullets, a surreal sci-fi/spy story, in June, and will hopefully have a completed game in late august in time for an interactive fiction competition.

Then, I will be a 2L and have no time for anything for a full year.
The0didactus

Postby P/o Prune » Sun May 20, 2018 4:28 am

The0didactus wrote:Then, I will be a 2L and have no time for anything for a full year.

What's a 2L ?
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Next

Return to General IF