ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Web Designers

The place to chat about ideas, writing, this forum, or anything related to Interactive Fiction that isn't specific to ADRIFT.

Please also visit the Interactive Fiction Community Forum for further discussions.

Web Designers

Postby Campbell » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:09 am

Are there any web designers out there that fancy giving me a hand in overhauling the main website? I had a play around a couple of years ago, but never got it finished. This was the concept: http://www.adrift.co/new

Anyway, if anyone fancies the challenge or has any other ideas for the main site, please let me know.
ADRIFT Developer developer.
Campbell
Site Admin

Re: Web Designers

Postby P/o Prune » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:23 am

I have a friend in the US who might give it a go. Would you like me to talk to him?
D-Day V.5 in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
Anno 1700 Submitted to the 2018 IFComp.
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby Campbell » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:37 am

I think it needs to be someone who has a passion for text adventures, so leave it just now, but perhaps later if there are no takers.
Campbell
Site Admin

Postby David Whyld » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:25 pm

Welcome back, Campbell. I was beginning to wonder if we were going to see you again.

And congrats on being made an admin, Po. I hope the power doesn't go to your head :)

As far as the new website: I definitely prefer it to the old one. It looks a lot more welcoming. Not too sure about the red colour scheme, though.
David Whyld

Postby P/o Prune » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:35 pm

David Whyld wrote:And congrats on being made an admin, Po. I hope the power doesn't go to your head :)

I'm not too worried about that... Should it happen I'm sure "someone" out there will be kind enough to gently lead me in the right direction... :wink:
rofl
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby Lumin » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:25 pm

So many red names on the index! :?

Good to see you again, Campbell. :)

Campbell wrote:I think it needs to be someone who has a passion for text adventures, so leave it just now, but perhaps later if there are no takers.

I passed the question along to the two most techy guys on the CYOA site I'm on. They've done things like make custom skins to hide the oldness and ugliness of that place, so while I'm not sure if either one are willing to actively do web design right now or what the cost would be, they might be able to suggest some things or may at least know people.
Currently working on: Nada. Zip. Zilch. [Check this space later.]
Lumin

Postby P/o Prune » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:37 am

I think that's a good idea... At least find out if they're willing to take on the project and how much they charge. Then let's see if we can't donate a couple of pound / dollars or whatever to help make this happen.

@Campbell. I meant to ask you why does it have to be someone with a passion for IF? As long as the web designer wants the job you'd expect him to do it well.
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby Lumin » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:17 am

I'd be happy to donate too but I'm still trying to pursue this amid a bunch of miscellaneous Discord chatter and weird time zones so no idea of any definite answer yet.

Here's a mockup one guy made just as a suggestion for displaying games: https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ ... w_play.png

E: actually just noticed this is kind of similar to what Campbell already posted. http://www.adrift.co/new/play.html shows up weirdly on my phone though.
Lumin

Postby Lumin » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:16 pm

From the little bit of research I've done it looks like a professional web designer might run about $500 per project. It's hard to find examples that are anything like an IF site would need to be (Although I still say an actual wiki might make the most sense...) but a lot of them I'm looking at will give free quotes. Might be worth contacting someone at least.

I'm with Po at not seeing the need for anyone that's into IF. That narrows the possibilities WAY down and I think what we'd all like to see is something professional and attractive done in a reasonable time frame, it doesn't particularly matter how enthusiastic the designer is about >getting lamps.

I know I'd be willing to pitch in a good chunk of the cost if we could be sure of getting results.
Lumin

Postby P/o Prune » Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:34 am

Lumin wrote:From the little bit of research I've done it looks like a professional web designer might run about $500 per project. It's hard to find examples that are anything like an IF site would need to be (Although I still say an actual wiki might make the most sense...) but a lot of them I'm looking at will give free quotes. Might be worth contacting someone at least.

I'm with Po at not seeing the need for anyone that's into IF. That narrows the possibilities WAY down and I think what we'd all like to see is something professional and attractive done in a reasonable time frame, it doesn't particularly matter how enthusiastic the designer is about >getting lamps.

I know I'd be willing to pitch in a good chunk of the cost if we could be sure of getting results.

I'm with Lumin on this one.. I too would be willing to let her pitch in a good chunk of the cost.. rofl
But apart from that... I would gladly donate too...
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby Lumin » Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:28 pm

If Campbell is not interested in messing with the javascript/CSS stuff he'll need to give access to the person let them implement it once the design is done.

Other than the professional sites I've looked at, I'm waiting on some 'friend of a friend' recommendations from a friend who works for Microsoft. She's pretty active in some Visual Novel authoring communities too so she knows lots of nerds.

Campbell hasn't logged in this week but I'll PM once I have more info together and I guess he'll get a notification.
Lumin

Postby Lumin » Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:30 pm

Po. Prune wrote:I'm with Lumin on this one.. I too would be willing to let her pitch in a good chunk of the cost.. rofl
But apart from that... I would gladly donate too...

I'm prepared to fly to Scotland and push the glowing 'update site' button I assume is somewhere on his computer as well if necessary.
Lumin

Postby Campbell » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:15 am

You’re right, doesn’t really need to be someone into IF. Not sure why I said that tbh.
Campbell
Site Admin

Return to General IF