ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Writing Prompt, Week #1

The place to chat about ideas, writing, this forum, or anything related to Interactive Fiction that isn't specific to ADRIFT.

Please also visit the Interactive Fiction Community Forum for further discussions.

Writing Prompt, Week #1

Postby Lumin » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:12 am

(Two votes is like half the forum population, right? Good enough, I'm going ahead with this. And if someone feels like this would be a better fit for off topic, feel free to move it.)

Welcome to the return of the Weekly Writing Prompt thread! (Now accepting ideas for catchier names...)

The rules are simple. Every week I give three prompts. You take on one or as many as strike your fancy, and then spend as much or as little time as you like scribbling up something inspired by it. Submissions might be in the form of locations or scenes written out right here in the thread, excerpts from stories, or even better, a functional ADRIFT file. Really though, just about any format would be acceptable. Heck, write poetry if you want.

Everyone gets a point per submission (for up to three submissions) and a running tally will be kept week to week. Additionally, as the one running this I reserve the right to award a fourth point based purely on whim, if I feel like it.

Submissions are due midnight on Sunday, or, at any point before I make the next thread. Keeping in mind most of you are six hours ahead of me, I'm not too worried about keeping it exact. Going forward, new threads will most likely be put up Monday afternoon, when I get home.

Assisting me in overseeing the thread this week will be:

This sweet bird that I just now found while organizing some folders. I don't remember where it came from or why I saved it, but 14 year old me would have absolutely traced this onto the cover of a binder and considered it heckin rad. One of you might perhaps be allowed to help with future threads, in the unlikely event you prove yourself cooler than this bird.

THIS WEEK'S PROMPTS:

Containing: broken cup, bench, something (or someone) out of place

Write about: lost city

Image prompt:

I'll be entering these too, by the way, but probably just incorporate a prompt into one of the 25 minute writing sprint thingies I do to warm up anyway.

Anyway, hoping there's enough interest to sustain these. I'll keep them going as long as at least a couple people are participating.
Currently working on: Nada. Zip. Zilch. [Check this space later.]
Lumin

Re: Writing Prompt, Week #1

Postby P/o Prune » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:12 am

Alright... Let's get this thing going. 8)

My contribution:

No sooner have the echoes of gunshots faded away before you throw yourself through the entrance to the underground tunnel.
Kneeling behind a wooden bench, you take a couple of minutes to brace yourself for what might await ahead. The cold sweat of fear trickles down your brow and sting your eyes. As you wipe it away, your eyes lock on to a broken porcelain cup laying shattered on the concrete floor and you suddenly realize that right now your life is just as fragile as this cup and may be ended just as brutally.
You get up. The acidy smell of cordite burns your lungs as you continue down the tunnel to the east staying as close to the wall as you possibly can. Further up ahead a shadowy figure disappears around a corner, the sight making you stop right in your tracks. You know of only one person who’d wear something like that and you can’t help wondering “What is Santa Claus doing here?”
D-Day V.5 in progress 86Kb (On backburner)
Anno 1700 First beta test in progress.
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby David Whyld » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:26 am

Write about: lost city

Tunnel
Crouching by the burnt bench (parts of which still smoulder), you give the tunnel a quick once over. It looks like an old subway tunnel from back in the days before the world fell apart but the place seems ridiculously small and cramped. Did trains really run through here full of people? It seems hard to imagine. Perched precariously on one end of the bench is a broken cup. Against the north wall of the tunnel is a strange figure clad in robes of scarlet, which seems remarkably out of place in these surroundings. Exits lie east and west, both heading deeper into the lost city.

> x figure
Some kind of apparition? You can see the tunnel wall clearly through it and it seems to flicker in and out of reality as if it isn’t really there.

> shoot figure
You give it a blast from your laser rifle, but the wall suffers more than the figure does. Clearly some kind of illusion or apparition then.

> talk to figure
Whatever you say to it is ignored. If the figure is capable of speech, it doesn't respond to you.

> x cup
Something about the way it’s placed strikes you as wrong. It doesn't look like it ended up there purely by chance.

> get cup
As you do, you hear a distinct click! sound and wince as the wire attached to the cup, which you've only just seen, is jostled.

The wire is attached to a detonator.

The detonator, in turn, is attached to a bomb.

Said bomb is under the bench and, when it triggers, it does so with enough to not only blow you to kingdom come but to bring the tunnel down on top of your scorched remains.

Try again? (y/n)
##################################

In progress: Shadows of the Mind 87k and counting. ETA: sometime in 2018.
David Whyld

Postby Lumin » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:09 pm

Just clarifying, the Location and the Write About bits are separate prompts. Although combining prompts is good and fine if anyone wants the extra challenge. I'd give David two points in this situation.
Lumin

Postby P/o Prune » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:25 pm

Lumin wrote:Just clarifying, the Location and the Write About bits are separate prompts. Although combining prompts is good and fine if anyone wants the extra challenge. I'd give David two points in this situation.

Oh?? "Slytherin" 2 points? rofl
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby Lumin » Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:00 pm

Po. Prune wrote:
Lumin wrote:Just clarifying, the Location and the Write About bits are separate prompts. Although combining prompts is good and fine if anyone wants the extra challenge. I'd give David two points in this situation.

Oh?? "Slytherin" 2 points? rofl

Just wait, as soon as I get to my computer I'm going to get myself three.
Lumin

Postby David Whyld » Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:10 pm

Ha! Owning it already!

Some people are probably think "oh, that David, didn't even bother reading the rules before he posted". Well, on one hand you could be absolutely 100% correct but on the other... yay! 2 points to Slytherin!

David Whyld

Postby Lumin » Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:57 pm

Guys, I have a confession: I have never actually watched your silly wizard shows. But I will take credit for any hilarious references I brought about just the same.
Lumin

Postby rotter » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:55 pm

Lumin wrote:Guys, I have a confession: I have never actually watched your silly wizard shows. But I will take credit for any hilarious references I brought about just the same.

Next you will be saying you do not like Doctor Who.
Currently working on "The Blank Wall" in ADRIFT 5 and "Again and Again" in Inform 7.
Delron, the home of Otter Interactive Fiction.
rotter

Postby Lumin » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:45 am

rotter wrote:Next you will be saying you do not like Doctor Who.

Doctor who?
Lumin

Postby P/o Prune » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:22 am

Lumin wrote:
rotter wrote:Next you will be saying you do not like Doctor Who.

Doctor who?

Yes, WHO! rofl
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby David Whyld » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:58 pm

Doctor Who is now a woman on account of the show becoming very politically correct. I predict the next Doctor Who will be either black or gay, or both.

Which is completely off topic and in no way relevant to the discussion at hand, but I just thought I'd point it out anyway.

David Whyld

Postby Lumin » Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:57 pm

David Whyld wrote:Doctor Who is now a woman on account of the show becoming very politically correct. I predict the next Doctor Who will be either black or gay, or both.

Which is completely off topic and in no way relevant to the discussion at hand, but I just thought I'd point it out anyway.

He should be autistic as well to compete with that other show about the autistic (medical) doctor that they kept showing endless previews for that I haven't heard a word about since.

Seriously though I have been living under a rock the last four years with only a 10 gig a month capacity to peek outside it. I am AWARE of a lot of things but have had to give up on actually experiencing most forms of media. (And even before wasn't a huge TV watcher and was more likely to let movies collect dust on a shelf than get around to watching them...)

Although I actually was finally able to move recently, right before Christmas, but I'm still trying to adjust to looking outside and seeing other houses instead of cows...
Last edited by Lumin on Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
Lumin

Postby David Whyld » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:05 pm

And a cross-dresser who has unresolved issues regarding his / her sexual orientation.

David Whyld

Postby Lumin » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:10 pm

Just been reading through a list of story arcs and some seem like they could be really interesting and some seem like they could be really, really stupid. I guess any show that long running starts getting desperate for new ideas after a point, though.

(Oh and as to my writing snippet...I was planning on doing an ADRIFT file but ummmm maybe I should just hurriedly write something to keep on hand so that i don't wind up in the awkward position of failing to participate in my own thread...)
Last edited by Lumin on Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lumin

Next

Return to General IF