ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Points (or something similar)

The place to chat about ideas, writing, this forum, or anything related to Interactive Fiction that isn't specific to ADRIFT.

Please also visit the Interactive Fiction Community Forum for further discussions.

Points (or something similar)

Postby David Whyld » Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:22 pm

Lumin's post in the Writing Prompt thread http://forum.adrift.co/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=11822 about points being awarded to the participants made me wonder why we don't have a similar thing for the rest of the forum. 10 points for writing a game, 5 points for posting a review or voting on a game, X points for beta-testing games, 1 point when it's your birthday, 1 point for doing something cool like organising a competition or some forum activity, etc. They do a similar thing on the CYS site and it's quite cool logging in every now and then and seeing your points total increase. And, of course, if it encourages people to participate more on the forum, that's a nice bonus right there.

What do people think? Is this something that could work here? Is the software for it available on the forum or would some kind of third party addon be required?
##################################

In progress: Shadows of the Mind 87k and counting. ETA: sometime in 2018.
David Whyld

Re: Points (or something similar)

Postby Lumin » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:51 pm

CYS points are amazing, they are completely without function aside from having your ratings on games effect the total a tiny bit more, and yet the entire community is all about their greedy acquisition.

Well most site contests require an entry fee of points now so that's another purpose they've been given. There used to be a daily point just for logging in and collecting it but that was removed some months back, now the only reliable automatic way to get one is to rate a game, or once a year you get 15 for your birthday. Otherwise they have to be rewarded (or taken away) by admins manually.

There's a 'commendations' system that was added in in addition to points that is supposed to be more of a personalized gold star from an admin, but that turned out to be unbalanced and then the only guy that can update the site tripped and fell off the planet.

It is a fun system but I don't know if there's a simple way to add it here, at least not in an automated way. The main site where the stories/reviews get posted and the forums and notification system over there are all integrated together, for one thing.
Currently working on: Nada. Zip. Zilch. [Check this space later.]
Lumin

Postby P/o Prune » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:50 am

Well, I guess that if it's possible to have number of posts, awards etc. under your avatar, it shouldn't be impossible to also get a statistic of points.
I'll see if I can't figure it out... or else I'll ask Campbell.
D-Day V.5 in progress 86Kb (On backburner)
Anno 1700 First beta test in progress.
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby David Whyld » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:49 pm

I mentioned an activity monitor idea years ago on the forum and Campbell said it was a nice idea, but nothing ever came of it.

David Whyld

Postby P/o Prune » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:20 am

Thing is, who's going to administer the points and what should points be given for and should there be a max point available?
Should we earn points in different categories? Posts, reviews, games released etc. or should it just be "points" ?
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby David Whyld » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:49 am

I don't think we need to have a detailed set of rules for it or anything like that. It’s just for fun, after all, and the points won’t really mean anything aside from a way of perhaps encouraging people to participate more in forum activities.

Off the top of my head, and probably subject to a great deal or revision, I’d go with:

> +20 points for a writing a game.
> +5 points for writing a review.
> +5 points for beta-testing a game.
> +10 points for organising a competition.
> +5 points for voting on the games in a competition.
> +3 points for voting on a game on the main site.

And probably a few other things like +5 points for registering on the forum, +10 points for your birthday, +5 points for hitting a milestone for forum posts or number of reviews of games written, +5 points for every year you've been registered on the forum, etc.

We could have the point totals under the post count with our avatar or something similar to that.

David Whyld

Postby P/o Prune » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:17 am

With a person like Lumin on the forum, you might consider rules for withdrawing points as well. rofl
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby Lumin » Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:03 pm

Extra points should be awarded for winning a competition.

Also, if you want to borrow from CYS some more, just enough points to sting a little as a standard entry fee for a contest, which you only get back if you manage to submit an entry.

Encouraging people to wager large amounts of points against each other making ridiculous promises they later regret also gets good results, though tbf the CYS community is a lot more cutthroat and inclined to take joy in the failures of others than this one. ]:)
Lumin

Postby David Whyld » Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:31 pm

Oh I dunno. I often take joy in other people failing.

* points at random person
* laughs hysterically

David Whyld

Postby Lumin » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:56 pm

David Whyld wrote:Oh I dunno. I often take joy in other people failing.

* points at random person
* laughs hysterically

Oh, you'll love this then...
Lumin

Postby David Whyld » Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:51 am

Oh, that was classic. It reminds me of some of the arguments I used to have on the Quest site - y'know, back when it had an actual forum and not the excrement it has now - with barely illiterate toddlers who couldn't even write two words without one of them being spelt wrong, yet still thought their game was going to be frickin' epic. They'd get steadily more angry and their posts even less legible and I'd be having hysterics at my keyboard over it.

David Whyld

Postby Lumin » Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:27 pm

Well the thread's been nuked now that the kid was banned and everyone got their chance to point and laugh, but yes I really enjoy the admin-approved culture of savagery towards the illiterate. Most of the long time members have PTSD still after the Warrior Cats invasion a couple of years ago that led to the site finally getting standards.
Lumin

Postby David Whyld » Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:02 pm

Pity the thread's gone. I was quite enjoying reading it and watching the poor chap go ballistic. It often makes me wonder why people with such an awful grasp of the English language think they've got what it takes to write fiction, and why they react so badly to any kind of criticism.

David Whyld

Postby Lumin » Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:05 pm

Well if you get nostalgic for him I'm happy to report his unfinished storygame is still alive and well and remains in sneakpeek mode despite his abrupt, unfortunate departure.

Even fate makes mistakes
Kill,steal,help,lie,cheat,betray,love,fight,and get drunk

David Whyld wrote:It often makes me wonder why people with such an awful grasp of the English language think they've got what it takes to write fiction, and why they react so badly to any kind of criticism.

I don't know if it's some kind of Dunning-Kruger thing or what, exactly, is going on at the cognitive level, but I see this so often and it's baffled me for a very long time. The technical aspects are completely aside from the actual 'writing' elements. Plot structure and realistic dialogue and quality of prose and all that that I can at least understand it maybe being difficult for younger people to pick up on. But punctuation and capitalization are all as rudimentary and straightforward as addition and subtraction. The way you do it is either correct or it's incorrect. There's no 'aww poor guy well just keep practicing until you get better' on stuff like that, it's 'do it right or at least LOOK UP how to do it right and then do it like that, you lazy @!@$#$%#$!'

And yet somehow they seem completely incapable of identifying all the obvious, objective ways the words they type are different from those of everyone else around them, and even when it's pointed out they can't figure out why it's a problem.

e: There were no punctuation issues in this thread complaining about bad punctuation. Haha. Hah. >.>
Last edited by Lumin on Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:06 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Lumin

Postby David Whyld » Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:24 pm

This reminds me of some guy called Vachon from the AIF scene years back. Does anyone else remember him? He was this kid who wrote about a dozen really, really bad AIF games and every one of them was plagued with the same kind of problems: typos, grammatical errors, wrong word usage, no plot to speak of, the worst sex scenes imaginable (and believe me, I have an appalling imagination :) ), etc. Every game he wrote was like a checklist of how NOT to write a game.

Now the AIF community were amazingly patient with Vachon. They pointed out errors in his games in a polite manner, they told him how to correct said errors and they offered to beta-test his games. And you know what difference it made? A big fat zilch. Every game he bought out was every bit as bad as the last one and they all had the same errors. It reached the stage where even the most patient and helpful people in the AIF community lost it with him and his games got roundly bashed time and again, yet he still kept writing them.

Now I'm not sure if Vachon was a kid, or had some kind of mental issues which prevented him actually improving his games, or if he simply couldn't see what was bad about them no matter how times it was pointed out, but it's weird how long he carried it on for. If every game I wrote was slagged off to the degree his were, I'd have gone off in a sulk and never written anything again, but he just persevered year after year as if he was oblivious to how badly his games were received. I don't know why. Maybe he was actually a troll just doing it for kicks to see how many people he could annoy.

David Whyld

Next

Return to General IF