ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Writing Prompt, Week #2

The place to chat about ideas, writing, this forum, or anything related to Interactive Fiction that isn't specific to ADRIFT.

Please also visit the Interactive Fiction Community Forum for further discussions.

Writing Prompt, Week #2

Postby Lumin » Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:51 am

Got home a lot later than expected, whoops.

Since the forum now has real, official points, I decided on a new system for the prompt threads to avoid confusion. Keeping with the theme of Rad Lisa Frank Rainbow Peacock, my co-host, I have brought in his friend, Gumdrop the Owl of Judgement and Badly Edited Transparency to dispense awards to the participants.

David Whyld: Image Image

Po. Prune: Image

Lumin: Image Image Image

Writing prompt participation is now measured in feathers. Glorious magic rainbow feathers! (To put in your cap or fashion a quill pen with.) I assure you these are more desirable in every way than the system Po is running.

Image Anyhow, on to this week's prompts:

1.) Location: Country Road
Containing: turnips, book, dead body

2.) Write about: delivering a message

3.) Image prompt:

For just a quick refresher on the rules: Choose any prompt(s) you want, spend as much or as little time as you like. IF style location, short story blurb, actual game file, whatever you feel like. Feathers are awarded for participation for a max of three per thread. (However I reserve the right to give out a fourth one based purely on whim.) Prompts are separate but can be combined if desired. In the event of a combined submission feathers will be given based on the number of prompts included, still for a max of three.

New thread goes up next Monday. And I should point out that with an official forum point from Po now, this amounts to a weekly freebie for writing like, a paragraph, so even more reason to join in now.
Currently working on: Nada. Zip. Zilch. [Check this space later.]
Lumin

Re: Writing Prompt, Week #2

Postby P/o Prune » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:36 am

1.) Location: Country Road
Containing: turnips, book, dead body

The dusty country road stretches out before you, disappearing in a shimmer of heat in the horizon. The sun is warm and the air is fresh. A light breeze carries with it the scent of grass and summer. High above your head a few birds are doing aerobatics and you must admire their agility as they dive towards the ground only to shoot upwards again in a graceful performance.
A little up ahead the road cuts through a field of turnips and as you get closer you see a figure lying slumped over near the road.

>Examine body
The body is of a young man. He lies face down in the dust, his arms crossed under him. He’s dressed in jeans and a T-shirt and next to him lies a book.

>Examine book
It appears to be last year issue of Guinness Book of World Records. It has a bookmark stuck in between the pages.

>Examine bookmark.
There’s nothing special about the bookmark. It obviously marks an interesting article, otherwise it wouldn’t be there.

>Read/open book.
Curiously you open the book at the bookmark. It’s an article about a man who managed to have two billiard balls in his mouth at the same time.

>Turn body
With a little difficulty you manage to roll the body onto its back.
The top of a turnip protruding from his mouth reveals the cause of death.

You sigh as you continue down the road, shaking your head in disbelief. Then you look towards the field of turnips... Perhaps??

2.) Write about: delivering a message

The car door closes silently behind you, and you begin to slowly walk up the path towards the house. As you get closer you glance towards it and through the window you see Jamie’s young wife moving about inside. She and Jamie have only been married for a couple of months and images of their wedding flash before your eyes as you walk up towards the front door.
In your mind you see her smiling to herself as she packs the suitcases for their honeymoon.
There was a time when you were proud to wear this uniform, but today you’d give anything to have chosen any other profession.

Outside the door you can hear her voice; she’s humming a happy tune. You wait for a while, giving her just a few more minutes of happiness. Then you lift your hand and knock on the door.
You hear her footsteps approaching and know within yourself, that in just a few moments you are going to shatter this young woman’s happiness forever.
D-Day V.5 in progress 86Kb (On backburner)
Anno 1700 Submitted to the 2018 IFComp.
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby Duncan_B » Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:09 pm

Howdy, Gumdrop! That's a mighty fine owl. A+ writing exercises, well done. I'm a mite ill and was trying to fall back asleep when this li'l scene popped into my head, so I figured come out of lurking for a minute to share:

A farmer walked out into his field one night beside the country road. The tops of some root tubers-- less potato, more turnip-- glistened in neat rows all greenly and ripe-like. He took one leafy top in hand and pulled and pulled until from out the ground popped his prize: a human corpse, with mouth agape and tongue aloll, one eye shut and one open, as if constantly winking.

"Henrietta!" he called out to his wife, who sat in her rocking chair on the porch reading one of those cheap, black paperbacks focused on the romancing of necks. "We got one o' them weird weeds again."

"Put it in a box, Henry!" his aged wife shouted back. "Fer cryin' out loud. And put the stones down on 'em. Can't have 'em runnin' off like the last ones..."
Duncan_B

Postby Lumin » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:43 pm

Nice, stirred another old 'drifter from the grave.

And Po, I had a nice laugh at the turnip reveal. :lol:
Lumin

Postby P/o Prune » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:04 am

Hey Duncan...
Welcome back... and as usual, a superb piece of writing...

@Lumin, Thanks, glad you enjoyed it.
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby David Whyld » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:05 pm

I decided to go and write a little game for my entry. I give you "The Adventures of Postman Matt (and his black and white cat)" which is a totally 100% original work and in no way inspired by a certain kids show about a postman and his cat. Purely coincidental, I assure you.

It's a v4 game but it's pretty simple and straightforward so I can't imagine v5 will throw too many hissy fits if you try to play it with that instead.
Attachments
Postman Matt.taf
(6.51 KiB) Downloaded 41 times
David Whyld

Postby Duncan_B » Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:35 am

Thanks, Po! Nice writin' yerself. And David, nice to see an ADRIFT entry for the writing prompt. Appreciate the chuckle.

I'm not dead, I've just been quiet. I still lurk around here. Unfortunately, I feel a bit like my presence is a sort of dead whale hanging over the site. Seeing "Top Hat" as the first suggestion on the adventures page is something I have mixed feelings about. There are definitely better games to go there. I recall the decision to make it sort by ranking as a default, but by now it makes us look even more dead possibly. Well, I don't want to derail the thread. Happy writing, everybody!
Duncan_B

Postby P/o Prune » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:55 am

Now, I'm getting really suspicious :|
David's getting the 1 point for participating in the Writing Prompt which is fair...
But did he make it into a game to earn an extra 20 points for releasing a new game just to get ahead of Lumin? :|
Question is; Is it considered a released game when it's only uploaded to the forum and not to the game page? :angel:

Questions, questions, questions ... Where is Inspecteur Clouseau when you need him the most. :haha:

Less than 50kb: 20 points.
51 - 100kb: 25 points.
101 - 200kb: 30 points.
201 - 300kb: 35 points.
301kb+ - 40 points.
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby David Whyld » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:21 am

Ah-ha :)

Lumin did mention that we could write a game if we wanted and I figured why not? It's only a tiny game, though, and so it shouldn't really count for the same points as a full size game. Maybe a revision of the scores is needed. (And we definitely need it revised for the poor chap who writes a 50kb game and gets no points. :) )

Maybe:

1 - 10kb: 5 points
11 - 30kb: 10 points
31 - 75kb: 15 points
76 - 100kb: 20 points
101 - 200kb: 25 points
201 - 300kb: 30 points
301kb+ - 40 points

That way, tiny games only get 5 points which is too small an amount to really bother with just for the sake of writing a game for the weekly challenge.
David Whyld

Postby Lumin » Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:41 pm

I put in the suggestion of a game file because sometimes with these it's fun just implementing a room or a scene without worrying about a full game, but if David made one and did it that fast I'm impressed. I'll check it out as soon as I get home.
Lumin

Postby Lumin » Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:43 pm

Duncan_B wrote:I recall the decision to make it sort by ranking as a default, but by now it makes us look even more dead possibly. Well, I don't want to derail the thread. Happy writing, everybody!

Rankings would be fine, if more games were rated by more people. Right now getting any rating at all would be enough to send a lot of the games to the top.
Lumin

Postby David Whyld » Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:08 pm

As per Po Prune's subtle request / forceful intimidation, I've now uploaded my game to the main site.

It's at http://www.adrift.co/game/1499 in case the sheer volume of new games uploaded recently makes it hard to find.
David Whyld

Postby P/o Prune » Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:21 pm

Just wrote a review.. 5 points to me :D
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby Lumin » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:03 pm

Po. Prune wrote:Just wrote a review.. 5 points to me :D

Dang, I started mine earlier and then went walking with a neighbor instead.

Oh well, this will be the most reviewed game in history I guess. (Aww I get a mention in the comment. :3)

e: typos David:

You're devilishly handsome, are quite a charmed, a ladies man and even have your own room.

While it might not strictly be recommended / On 'strictly' you've got a broken italics tag, you used brackets instead of <i>

e2: I, too, have written a review. Supporting authors and the community is important etc. blah blah Po please give me my points. :angel:
Lumin

Postby R2T1 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:20 am

OK. The 1st topic looked interesting, so I managed to put something down. I had thought of doing a Brer Rabbit/Brer Fox scene but it wouldn't quite gel for me. So here is my miserable attempt...
Finally we had managed to leave my uncle's farm.
Uncle Ken and Aunt Lucy had dropped out of the 'rat race' and taken up an alternative lifestyle in the country. He had bought a fifty acre lot when another farmer had divided up some land and sold off smaller parcels. The lot that my uncle and aunt had bought came complete with a large shed which they had modified to make quite a comfortable home for themselves. They then set up the farm to sustain themselves and sold off any extra produce to help with their budget.

That is how we came to be leaving with not one, but two sacks of turnips in the rear of the ute. One sack was for my parents and the other was for my new wife and I. To guide us in the use of these turnips, Aunt Lucy had provided us a cookbook entitled 'One Hundred and One Ways to Enjoy Turnips'. As we travelled back to the city along a series of winding country roads, we amused ourselves with some of the entries in the book. There were recipes for Turnip Bread, Turnip Salad, Turnip Pancakes and even Turnip Ice-cream and almost everything imaginable in between.

Such was our merriment, that I almost failed to see the large shape lying in the road ahead. Felicity suddenly screamed out and I hit the brakes hard bringing the ute to a standstill before running into the object. I told Felicity to stay in the ute as I got out to see what it was. After a closer inspection, I found that the body was still warm and must have been killed very recently. I returned to my ute, took out my large fishing knife that I always carried amongst my tools and returned to the dead body.

I crouched down next to the lifeless lump in the road and Felicity saw me stab the body and begin cutting through one of the legs with the knife. Seeing no danger, she got out and came over to where I was working on the body. I finished the grisly task and stood up with a haunch of meat cut from the dead wallaby.

Turning to my wife I said, "Recipe #102. Wallaby stew with turnips."

Hope you enjoy it.
R2T1

Next

Return to General IF