ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Writing Prompt Time limit?

The place to chat about ideas, writing, this forum, or anything related to Interactive Fiction that isn't specific to ADRIFT.

Please also visit the Interactive Fiction Community Forum for further discussions.

Writing Prompt Time limit?

Postby P/o Prune » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:42 pm

How would you feel about a time limit for the entries to the weekly Writing Prompt?

Personally I would prefer a time limit as it would make it easier for me to adjust the points in one go say, Monday and then be done with it.
But what is your point of view on the matter?
D-Day V.5 in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
True North 17Kb
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Re: Writing Prompt Time limit?

Postby David Whyld » Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:19 pm

Well, it's Lumin's idea so really she should be the one to have the final say. Speaking for myself, I don't see the point in a time limit as people might be out of the country, taking time off, too busy, etc, to do it during the deadline but who might want to post something later.

As for adding the points, why not just do it once a week?
David Whyld

Postby P/o Prune » Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:08 pm

David Whyld wrote:Well, it's Lumin's idea so really she should be the one to have the final say. Speaking for myself, I don't see the point in a time limit as people might be out of the country, taking time off, too busy, etc, to do it during the deadline but who might want to post something later.

As for adding the points, why not just do it once a week?

The reason for the time limit is that it would be easier for me to keep track of the entries and be able to add the points once and for all.
Just as an example, last week you and Lazzah both entered a piece for the writing prompt after I had added the points which meant that I had to readjust the points. Not because it's such a big deal but I'm "worried" that I may forget to add well earned points.

But if you can live with the risk of losing points because I forget then it's ok with me.. Just warning you that Lumin might get further ahead than she already is :wink:
True North 17Kb
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby Lumin » Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:17 am

I like the idea of keeping the threads open, I mean theoretically someone could even add to an older one if they got inspired.

Completely up to Po as far as the official points go though, if a cut off after a week keeps things simpler.

(Normal prompt thread activity will resume very soon btw, sorry for flaking out on these. just going through a weird barely online phase right now and mostly limited to phone posting.)
Currently working on: Nada. Zip. Zilch. [Check this space later.]
Lumin

Postby Lumin » Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:23 pm

Having an impromptu family dinner thing at my house today but I'll get the new thread up at some point and get points tallied up and all that to get back on track with this. I'm long overdue on getting back to Campbell on some stuff too.

Glorious free time to use the computer whenever I want isn't going to happen till mid April but at least I'm done with the contest on the other site, and contests in general. Little annoyed because I destroyed my sleep schedule and turned myself into the walking dead over it for weeks and ultimately didn't finish in time and had to turn in some thing about squirrels and wall to wall testicle jokes I scribbled up in a few hours instead. :/
Lumin

Postby P/o Prune » Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:25 pm

Don't worry. Just let us know when dinner is and we'll be over :wink:
True North 17Kb
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby Lumin » Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:20 pm

This thread is still sitting up top lol. You guys, I swear, you're helpless without me.
Lumin

Postby P/o Prune » Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:38 am

Lumin wrote:This thread is still sitting up top lol. You guys, I swear, you're helpless without me.

Actually not... We just thought that since it takes ages between your visits you should find something familiar when you finally turn up again. rofl
True North 17Kb
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby Lumin » Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:51 am

Well things have been a little crazy, I've had relatives afflicted on me and one of them is still around and getting way too comfortable imo and the situation's not likely to change soon. Also I'm poor now but picking up extra hours at a part time so working on that.

As far as writing goes I've gone fully over to the dark side on this CYOA thing and got made an admin at ChooseYourStory. I'll probably start working on listing some CYS games on the ifdb and getting people to paste their reviews over soon...ish but a lot of things are on the back burner right now.

For one thing a former admin over there just got outed as a pedo, so that's been fun.
Lumin

Postby P/o Prune » Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:33 am

Lumin wrote:Well things have been a little crazy, I've had relatives afflicted on me and one of them is still around and getting way too comfortable imo and the situation's not likely to change soon. Also I'm poor now but picking up extra hours at a part time so working on that.

As for your "glued to the chair" relative, I could send you a tape with me singing :shock: I'm sure that will take care of the problem. On the down side, every piece of live stock in a radius of several miles will probably stampeed not to mention the impact it may have on your hearing. rofl
Money wise is a little more complicated. We do have vacancies at the airport, but the commute is murder :?

Lumin wrote:As far as writing goes I've gone fully over to the dark side on this CYOA thing and got made an admin at ChooseYourStory. I'll probably start working on listing some CYS games on the ifdb and getting people to paste their reviews over soon...ish but a lot of things are on the back burner right now.

Sorry to hear about your downfall to the dark side. You are in our thoughts and we hope for a speedy recovery... :(
True North 17Kb
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby Lumin » Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:58 pm

If anyone wants to hear the hilarious saga of why my 400lb cousin is living with me now I will oblige you at a later time.

But meanwhile I'm just going to point out you've got an opening here to talk up ADRIFT to people who might like to make a game that doesn't need any programming experience. http://chooseyourstory.com/forums/the-l ... sage/24507

I do not wish to try and push them at other editing tools myself, for political reasons, but have at it if you want to pimp IF as a medium.
Lumin

Postby David Whyld » Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:33 pm

I've been tempted to go over to the dark side and try my hand at CYOA instead of IF for a while now. I've written CYOA games before but they've always been side project kind of things while I take a breather from whatever IF game I'm writing, but the more I think about it the more tempted I am to take a real crack at it.

IF annoys me a lot of the time. As a writer, I hate the boring grunt work – having to check that every single item the player can see has a description and can be interacted with; the constant hassle of “that puzzle makes no sense” or “it’s too hard” or “it’s too easy” or “I just tried this thing and got an error message – why?” – and as a player I find myself disliking it as well. I've never been very good at figuring puzzles out and I don't have the patience I used to with regards to trying one solution after another until something finally works, and I find I don't have much patience with the arty works which seem so popular these days. IF games just seem a lot more work than straightforward CYOA games. They have advantages, of course – you're never going to get really complex puzzles in a CYOA system like you do in an IF system – but recently I've been leaning towards thinking that, for the most part, CYOA games are good enough in their own right that the other stuff just doesn’t matter.

They're also a lot easier to write. Like light years easier. No hideously complex coding? Oh, yes please. The only IF systems that don’t require you to be a coder are ADRIFT and Quest. (Maybe Inform 7 as well, but you need some coding knowledge to get the most out of its natural language.) ADRIFT 4 has long since been abandoned, and ADRIFT 5 has stalled and has a tiny user-base. For all I know, maybe it’s been abandoned, too. Which leaves Quest, which has the worst forum on the internet and a main site which, while a heck of a lot better, has so much drivel uploaded to it on a daily basis that no game, no matter how good, is ever going to make an impression there. You could work on a game for years with Quest, write an honest to God masterpiece, and it'd still get less attention than the latest one room game with a misspelt title that the author didn’t even finish writing.

So yes, maybe CYOA is the way forward, at least until a new IF system comes along that has the power of Inform but the ease of use of ADRIFT 4.
David Whyld

Postby Lumin » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:40 am

When IF is done right it's amazing. For me nothing else has ever come close to that experience of poking around in these little self contained worlds that respond to (almost) every (reasonable) thing I do, and I've always wanted to write some masterpiece that would let others have that feeling too. But it's always been a very hit and miss medium and a lot of the time there are far more misses than hits. All the frustrations you mentioned are there for me too...and of course you've had a lot more of them I'm sure with your billion and one games. The inability to really control pacing is something I used to get pretty unhappy about too, made worse by the fact I'm seriously terrible at coming up with puzzles.

CYOAs will never quite match the perfect IF experience, too much of an apples and oranges thing, but for me both as a writer and player they hit that Goldilocks juuuust right sweet spot of game/story combo more often than not as well as being simple to sit down in front of and make progress happen. I get to write a regular, straightforward story which really is the kind of writing I still enjoy the most, meaning I can focus on character interactions and motivations and internal conflict and all that good stuff IF is a very awkward platform for. And then it's just a matter of going back and adding branch points and tossing in a few game elements if I feel like it messing with variables or whatever.

Turns out too it actually is pretty simple to create an IF like experience as far as walking around on a map goes anyhow. Inepta Academy and Tower of Rowena are just a couple I've come across with a similar layout for exploration and puzzle solving. (Although I have lamented before that it doesn't seem at all possible to recreate the experience of something like discovering a secret passage hidden behind a fireplace unfortunately because everything you can do is listed neatly as a clickable link, but I suppose some sacrifices must be made...)

The equivalent of 'use object in location' or something like using a variable to track ammunition is still possible, (or logic puzzles like in this stupid thing) but those are all pretty limited if you're used to the complete freedom of IF. For telling a story a wider in scope or handling more abstract choices that don't work as commands CYOAs really can't be beat though.
Lumin

Postby Lumin » Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:44 am

My post got ate last night so had to redo it, forgot to mention the real main factor for me which is the feedback. CYOAs again are a good middle ground between IF and linear stories; IF is too obscure and the internet is glutted with regular fiction, no one pays attention to either. Stories posted to CYS even during the slowest times of year will get at minimum somewhere between three and seven solid reviews and a constant trickle of ratings from drive bys. (If the site got a facelift to be more mobile friendly I'm sure that would only increase. )

Release an IF game outside the IFComp and you're just out of luck. I've been watching the IFDB for new reviews of anything from their vast, vast and overwhelming library of games and it. is. dead.
Lumin

Postby Lumin » Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:52 pm

Feeling a little bad now for how gloom and doomish these last few posts have been. ADRIFT is still good and accessible in and of itself, both v4 and v5. Just for a few reasons unrelated to the program itself and what it's capable of it's difficult to find and audience for the games, and that's the major thing that frustrates me and makes me not want to bother.

Although my interest in traditional IF games has waned quite a bit, the kind of work Theodidactus is doing on Tingalan and his his newer games has actually been a kind of ray of hope for me. I got three new people playing Tingalan while I was first addicted to it, and others have shown interest, and this is aside from all the players who went through his site who are otherwise unfamiliar with IF. He breaks a lot of 'rules' of IF but there are obviously a lot of people who enjoy a text game that stands on its own apart from all the baggage the IF community carries. For those of us still hanging in here, maybe there's more than one way forward.
Lumin

Next

Return to General IF