ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Writing Prompt Time limit?

The place to chat about ideas, writing, this forum, or anything related to Interactive Fiction that isn't specific to ADRIFT.

Please also visit the Interactive Fiction Community Forum for further discussions.

Writing Prompt Time limit?

Postby P/o Prune » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:42 pm

How would you feel about a time limit for the entries to the weekly Writing Prompt?

Personally I would prefer a time limit as it would make it easier for me to adjust the points in one go say, Monday and then be done with it.
But what is your point of view on the matter?
D-Day V.5 in progress 86Kb (On backburner)
Anno 1700 First beta test in progress.
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Re: Writing Prompt Time limit?

Postby David Whyld » Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:19 pm

Well, it's Lumin's idea so really she should be the one to have the final say. Speaking for myself, I don't see the point in a time limit as people might be out of the country, taking time off, too busy, etc, to do it during the deadline but who might want to post something later.

As for adding the points, why not just do it once a week?
##################################

In progress: Shadows of the Mind 87k and counting. ETA: sometime in 2018.
David Whyld

Postby P/o Prune » Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:08 pm

David Whyld wrote:Well, it's Lumin's idea so really she should be the one to have the final say. Speaking for myself, I don't see the point in a time limit as people might be out of the country, taking time off, too busy, etc, to do it during the deadline but who might want to post something later.

As for adding the points, why not just do it once a week?

The reason for the time limit is that it would be easier for me to keep track of the entries and be able to add the points once and for all.
Just as an example, last week you and Lazzah both entered a piece for the writing prompt after I had added the points which meant that I had to readjust the points. Not because it's such a big deal but I'm "worried" that I may forget to add well earned points.

But if you can live with the risk of losing points because I forget then it's ok with me.. Just warning you that Lumin might get further ahead than she already is :wink:
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby Lumin » Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:17 am

I like the idea of keeping the threads open, I mean theoretically someone could even add to an older one if they got inspired.

Completely up to Po as far as the official points go though, if a cut off after a week keeps things simpler.

(Normal prompt thread activity will resume very soon btw, sorry for flaking out on these. just going through a weird barely online phase right now and mostly limited to phone posting.)
Currently working on: Nada. Zip. Zilch. [Check this space later.]
Lumin

Postby Lumin » Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:23 pm

Having an impromptu family dinner thing at my house today but I'll get the new thread up at some point and get points tallied up and all that to get back on track with this. I'm long overdue on getting back to Campbell on some stuff too.

Glorious free time to use the computer whenever I want isn't going to happen till mid April but at least I'm done with the contest on the other site, and contests in general. Little annoyed because I destroyed my sleep schedule and turned myself into the walking dead over it for weeks and ultimately didn't finish in time and had to turn in some thing about squirrels and wall to wall testicle jokes I scribbled up in a few hours instead. :/
Currently working on: Nada. Zip. Zilch. [Check this space later.]
Lumin

Postby P/o Prune » Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:25 pm

Don't worry. Just let us know when dinner is and we'll be over :wink:
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Return to General IF