ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Account creation questions

The place to chat about ideas, writing, this forum, or anything related to Interactive Fiction that isn't specific to ADRIFT.

Please also visit the Interactive Fiction Community Forum for further discussions.

Account creation questions

Postby Lumin » Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:53 pm

It's been a consistent thing that people I manage to get interested in ADRIFT come here to make an account and them run into these questions that mean absolutely nothing to anyone without a background in IF.

I'm sure they seemed like a good idea at the time but isn't the whole point of Adrift to be accessible to anyone? One person failed two in a row and got locked out from trying again for I'm not even sure how long, possibly till tomorrow? It makes me worry a little about the potential new blood we've been missing out on since I doubt most people with a casual interest would bother coming back to try again. (And googling the question did turn up people on the AudioGames forum who'd run into the same issue...)

Is this a forum setting Finn is able to change? Surely there's got to be some more universal questions that could check for bots.
Currently working on: A big fat fantasy CYOA using this sweet map.
Lumin

Re: Account creation questions

Postby P/o Prune » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:25 am

I have run into that problem myself a few times :x
I'm not sure I can fix it, although I should be able to as administrator, shouldn't I? However, I'll pass it on to Campbell and he'll have to fix it or tell me how to.

P.s.
By the way. Good to see that you are working on other things than the usual nil, zip, nada, zilch :yeah:
D-Day V.5 in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
Just a Fairy Tale: 31Kb
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby Lumin » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:57 pm

I don't even know what the statistics are on players that know what the heck xyzzy is anymore tbh. (And the forum post that pops up on Google when you search for the question went and typoed it which I'm sure didn't help). For me it was always just the weird Easter egg command everyone felt obligated to put in their game for some reason, it was years before I ever came across the context.

And yeah I figure it was about time to update that sig lol. It's been a productive couple of years for me as far as writing goes actually.
Lumin

Postby P/o Prune » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:10 pm

I have changed it so things should be a lot easier. :yeah:
The reason for the questions is that, many years ago when the forum was a lot busier, we had quite a few attacks from spammers and we mods spent a lot of time banning them.
The registration question helped keeping those attacks down to a minimum.
D-Day V.5 in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
Just a Fairy Tale: 31Kb
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby Lumin » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:11 pm

Thanks! Might be a couple more wandering in soon. And yes, I vaguely remember that.

Of course now we'd probably be rolling out the red carpet for spammers. Hey maybe when they're done they'd like to play a game....
Lumin

Postby DazaKiwi » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:50 am

P/o Prune wrote:I have changed it so things should be a lot easier. :yeah:
The reason for the questions is that, many years ago when the forum was a lot busier, we had quite a few attacks from spammers and we mods spent a lot of time banning them.
The registration question helped keeping those attacks down to a minimum.

The best anti-spam ones i've seen is ones where you have tiny pictures and it might say click on images where you see a traffic light or a car etc. Those are pretty easy to do compared to others like trying to decipher letters that would make a 2 year old proud. This might be better than no anti-spam measure in place.
DazaKiwi

Return to General IF