ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Playing Games

The place to chat about ideas, writing, this forum, or anything related to Interactive Fiction that isn't specific to ADRIFT.

Please also visit the Interactive Fiction Community Forum for further discussions.

Playing Games

Postby David Whyld » Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:58 pm

Just out of curiosity, how many IF games do people play a year on average? Do you play multiple games at the same time or just stick to one till it’s finished before playing another? And if the number of games you play each year is less than it used to be, why? Less time for playing, less interest in games, spend your time doing other things?

The reason I'm asking is that I noticed the other day that I haven’t actually played a single IF game all year. I've downloaded plenty because they looked like something I might like or someone else has recommended them, but most are still sat on my hard drive unplayed. Which is weird because years ago I used to play a lot of games. I made a point at one time of playing every ADRIFT game out there and while I didn't get around to playing them all, I got through a pretty decent amount of them. Even if a lot of the games were bad (and to be fair, a lot were awful), it never discouraged me from playing others. If I got one good game out of ten, I’d consider it worthwhile.
David Whyld

Re: Playing Games

Postby rotter » Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:12 pm

Now you mention it I haven't played anything in the last six months or so. But, I have played a few recently - some Quest games. :roll:

For me it was being made redundant a year ago, focused my mind on getting another job. That kept me busy. But even before that I was playing a lot less IF than I used to.
Currently working on "The Blank Wall" in ADRIFT 5 and "Again and Again" in Inform 7.
Delron, the home of Otter Interactive Fiction.
rotter

Postby Denk » Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:58 pm

Looking at my IFDB ratings in 2018, I played about 70 games, which is more than I normally play. I normally try to play as many parser games I can during IFcomp, Spring Thing and Ectocomp. In addition, I attempted to play all games by Ryan Veeder, which are many very short games. 2018 was also the year I discovered Eamon. I also wanted to play as many Eamon games I could. Eamon games are quite short too.

Since 2016 was the year I rediscovered Interactive Fiction, I guess it is too early to talk about what is normal for me. However, I believe that I will continue playing most parser competition games each year.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
The Bash Saga:
1. The Dragon Diamond 2. The Way Home 3. Stone of Wisdom
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Denk

Postby The0didactus » Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:27 am

I made a point of playing almost all the IFCOMP games from last year, and I fully intend to do that this year too. Other than that I haven't played any games.
The0didactus

Postby P/o Prune » Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:03 pm

I must, shamefully, admit that I'm more of an author and a player.
The games I have played has mainly been beta testing games for other people.
Having said that, I do occasionally enjoy playing a game. I will pick one game that sounds interesting and I will stick to it until finished before I begin another one.
I have played less games this year do to some health problems, but they are, hopefully of the past so I hope to get back in the saddle and get back to playing (even though it's not a million games.)
D-Day in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
Just a Fairy Tale: 60Kb
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby David Whyld » Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:01 pm

For myself, I'm not sure why I don't tend to play much IF these days. I still like IF and want to play it, but most times when I fire up an IF game, I sit there for a couple of minutes, type out a few commands then can’t be bothered to play any further and decide to come back to it later. Only I never do. I have IF games on my hard drive that have been there for years which I've never played.

I think some of the reason might be down to the fact that I'm not fond of the current IF scene right now. I don't want to play games about mental depression, equal rights, sexual equality or someone’s rant about whatever subject is the latest fan favourite. Whenever I play a game like this, it puts me off playing anything else for ages. I like IF games to be fun and entertaining, not things which don't interest me. (It’s not just IF I feel like this about. Give me a colourful superhero film in which people with incredible powers, silly names and zero wardrobe sense fly around the world saving us from big bad villains and I'm content. Give me a film where people spend two hours talking about how depressed they are and I’ll switch off.)

As far as ADRIFT games go, I've mentioned a time or two (hundred) in the past that I don't particularly care for the v5 Runner and this is what stops me playing v5 games for the most part. It feels clunky compared to the v4 Runner, lacks the useful shortcuts I got used to and games don't run half as smoothly with it as they did in the v4 days. Sure, the v4 Runner was hardly perfect and could never hold a candle to Inform or Tads, but it was more than adequate for what we needed it for. The v5 map makes me want to punch things.

Of course, that doesn't really explain why I don't play games in other systems these days. I just don't. I keep meaning to but for one reason or another, I never quite get around to it.
David Whyld

Return to General IF