ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Did you play Sierra on line games?

The place to chat about ideas, writing, this forum, or anything related to Interactive Fiction that isn't specific to ADRIFT.

Please also visit the Interactive Fiction Community Forum for further discussions.

Did you play Sierra on line games?

Postby P/o Prune » Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:26 am

Maybe not exactly text adventures, but I assume that it can go in the category of IF just the same. (I guess you could call it animated IF)

Did any of you hardcore text adventure drifters ever played any of the Sierra On Line adventure games?
And if you did, which did you like the best?
D-Day in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
Just a Fairy Tale: 97kb
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Re: Did you play Sierra on line games?

Postby David Whyld » Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:46 am

Honestly, I never played any of them. Were they more an American thing because I played a lot of games back but don't ever recall seeing them around?
David Whyld

Postby Denk » Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:06 pm

As a kid, I only had a Commodore, not pc, so I couldn't play them even though I wanted to. When I grew up, I bought Gold Rush! which is pretty good. I have also played a fan-game of the Space Quest series called "Space Quest Incinerations" which is free and very very good. It can be found here: https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/1522-space-quest-incinerations/
----------------------------------------------------------------------
The Bash Saga:
1. The Dragon Diamond 2. The Way Home 3. Stone of Wisdom
Denk

Postby P/o Prune » Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:25 pm

David:
I started off with "the Hobbit" and some other games on the Spectrum.
But when the Spectrum died as the PC took over I found Sierra. I especially liked the first games, no matter how crude the graphic was. It reminded me very much of the text IF the exception being that you had a little guy farting around the screen. IT was still typing >look under rock etc.

Denk:
I have all the Space Quest. Most of them are free, so if you want to have them let me know.
Speaking of SpaceQuest, the "Two Guys from Andromeda" is working on a new "SpaceQuest" kind of game.
I liked Larry, and Police Quest too.
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby David Whyld » Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:39 pm

Ah, if they were PC-only, that'd explain it. I had a Spectrum then a Commodore back in the 80's and I didn't get a PC until 2001.
David Whyld

Postby Denk » Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:42 pm

P/o Prune wrote:I have all the Space Quest. Most of them are free, so if you want to have them let me know.
I did not know they were available for free. I have no idea when I will take the time to try them. Still, it would be good to have them :D
The Bash Saga:
Denk

Postby R2T1 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:44 am

I played all the Space Quest series, Most of King's Quest, Police Quest 1 & 2 and a few of Leisure Suit Larry. There may have been others that my memory has forgotten. I do have most of them on a CD somewhere...
I enjoyed playing them at the time but the excitement has faded with the passing years. I recently reinstalled SQ1 in DOS Shell but find it boring and slow.
R2T1

Postby P/o Prune » Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:51 am

R2T1 wrote:I played all the Space Quest series, Most of King's Quest, Police Quest 1 & 2 and a few of Leisure Suit Larry. There may have been others that my memory has forgotten. I do have most of them on a CD somewhere...
I enjoyed playing them at the time but the excitement has faded with the passing years. I recently reinstalled SQ1 in DOS Shell but find it boring and slow.

I believe we are used to the fact that things have become so much better. I remember when I first saw A Space Odyssey 2001. It was an amazing movie. I watched it again many years later (after having seen Star Trek and Star Wars) and was disappointed too.
But I still love the old Space Quest etc. and I don't mind that the graphic is what it is. The game play is really funny and still carries, in my opinion.
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby EndMaster » Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:02 pm

Yeah, I played mostly the Leisure Suit Larry and Manhunter series though. Never got into most of their other well known series. I did get a few of their "one shot" titles too.

Played all this stuff on an Amiga 500.
Writing: It's more fun than a barrel of Ebola ridden monkeys!
EndMaster

Postby P/o Prune » Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:37 pm

EndMaster wrote:Yeah, I played mostly the Leisure Suit Larry and Manhunter series though. Never got into most of their other well known series. I did get a few of their "one shot" titles too.

Played all this stuff on an Amiga 500.

Nice.. Another Amiga 500 user :yeah:
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby Kennedy » Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:38 pm

King's Quest, Quest for Glory, Space Quest, and Leisure Suit Larry are the ones I have played. The AGS remakes of the King's Quest games and Quest for Glory 2 are also highly recommended.
Kennedy

Postby Lumin » Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:31 am

Kennedy wrote:King's Quest, Quest for Glory, Space Quest, and Leisure Suit Larry are the ones I have played. The AGS remakes of the King's Quest games and Quest for Glory 2 are also highly recommended.

AHHHH! Who are you!? How'd you get in here?! ...17 years ago...
Lumin

Postby rotter » Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:04 pm

David Whyld wrote:Honestly, I never played any of them. Were they more an American thing because I played a lot of games back but don't ever recall seeing them around?

I'm with David on this one. I was a big Adventure game player during the 80's. Don't remember coming across any of these titles.
Currently working on "The Blank Wall" in ADRIFT 5 and "Again and Again" in Inform 7.
Delron, the home of Otter Interactive Fiction.
rotter

Postby P/o Prune » Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:45 am

rotter wrote:
David Whyld wrote:Honestly, I never played any of them. Were they more an American thing because I played a lot of games back but don't ever recall seeing them around?

I'm with David on this one. I was a big Adventure game player during the 80's. Don't remember coming across any of these titles.

They were / are arcade style adventures. You control an little guy, making him walk across the screen etc. In the beginning the graphic was very crude to say the least, but I had a feeling that a lot of work had been put into the gameplay.
In the beginning you still had to write your commands and there were quite a few "Guess the verb"
Later Sierra went to point and click games and finally (and that killed all the fun) they made it so the cursor changed whenever there was something of interest. Like if an object was hidden in a tree then cursor would change to an eye.
Some years ago someone came up with a retro game called "Fester Mudd" which became quite a success but for some reason the programmers, for unknown reasons, decided not to make the sequell.
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby Denk » Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:36 pm

rotter wrote:

I guess what games we come across has a lot to do with the country we live in.

For example, I understand, that in the early eighties the most popular computer in the UK was the ZX Spectrum whereas in Denmark the Commodore 64 dominated the home computer market completely. Practically no one had a ZX Spectrum in Denmark. So if a game is only published on one platform, even big adventure game players will not come across a game if it is only published on a platform which isn't popular in their country.

The early Sierra Online adventures were originally developed for IBM PC and Apple II and first later ported to Amiga and Atari ST, which at least explains why most people in Denmark were not aware of the early Sierra Online games.

Only very few had an Amiga in Denmark before 1988 when the Amiga 500 slowly became popular. Most people copied games, they almost never bought an Amiga game. And I guess the early Sierra adventures did not get copied very much since they had a parser, unlike the more popular Lucasarts games (Maniac Mansion, Monkey Island etc) with a point-and-click interface. Thus they were hard to obtain.
I wonder what came after the ZX Spectrum in the UK? :anyone:

I never got an Amiga in its heyday, so I first bought a Sierra adventure many years later on my pc, Gold Rush! which was great. I have also played a few remakes available from the AGS site so I have a very good impression of the Sierra Online adventures.

I can only recommend to check out the AGS site: https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/
- there are so many free great adventure games :D
The Bash Saga:
Denk

Next

Return to General IF