ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Did you play Sierra on line games?

The place to chat about ideas, writing, this forum, or anything related to Interactive Fiction that isn't specific to ADRIFT.

Please also visit the Interactive Fiction Community Forum for further discussions.

Re: Did you play Sierra on line games?

Postby David Whyld » Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:15 pm

The Spectrum was more popular in the UK in the 80's from what I remember, though the Commodore wasn't far behind. I had both. A ZX Spectrum 48 first then, when I got tired of the rubber keys, a Commodore 64. I seem to think the Commodore had better graphics* so was considered better overall. And you can't go wrong with that extra 16kb of RAM either :)

* Bear in mind this was the 80's. Looking back at it now, the graphics in both just look dated.

I still never played the Sierra Online games though. They sound like the kind of things I would have played if I'd been able to so maybe they were just never available in the UK.
David Whyld

Postby EndMaster » Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:00 am

Most of the Sierra adventure games were on computers using MS-DOS, IBM PCs or an Apple computer of some sort. The Amiga 500 had most of them during their “height” as well.

I don’t think any of them were on the C64. Let alone a Spectrum. They were generally pretty graphics heavy so the Amiga was a pretty good game computer to play them on to get the full experience.

I know the Amiga was more popular in Europe/UK but I guess the Sierra games weren’t as big over there.
Writing: It's more fun than a barrel of Ebola ridden monkeys!
EndMaster

Postby David Whyld » Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:29 am

That's probably why. I never had an Amiga and I don't remember any of my friends having one either. Were they more expensive than the Spectrum and Commodore? I recall having a hell of a job convincing my parents to buy me computers for Christmas or birthdays because I was forever wanting the next newest thing on the grounds that one of my friends had it (yes, that was totally a thing). The pricier it was, the less likely I'd have been to get it.
David Whyld

Postby Denk » Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:24 pm

David Whyld wrote:I never had an Amiga and I don't remember any of my friends having one either. Were they more expensive than the Spectrum and Commodore?
I just made a quick search on Wikipedia and found the following American prices:

c64 in 1982: $595
c64 in 1985: $149
Amiga 500 in 1987: $699

So at the time the Amiga 500 came out, the C64 was much cheaper.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
The Bash Saga:
1. The Dragon Diamond 2. The Way Home 3. Stone of Wisdom
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Denk

Postby David Whyld » Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:10 pm

That explains it. There was no way I'd ever have been able to convince my parents to buy me a computer that was over four times as expensive as a Commodore, and on pocket money I certainly couldn't have afforded it myself.
David Whyld

Postby rotter » Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:04 pm

David Whyld wrote:That explains it. There was no way I'd ever have been able to convince my parents to buy me a computer that was over four times as expensive as a Commodore, and on pocket money I certainly couldn't have afforded it myself.

I'm sure a Speccy was about £130 or so with games around £5 to £10.
Currently working on "The Blank Wall" in ADRIFT 5 and "Again and Again" in Inform 7.
Delron, the home of Otter Interactive Fiction.
rotter

Postby EndMaster » Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:56 am

Sounds about right price for C64 in 1985 since that’s about when I got mine.

I think I got my Amiga in 1989, so I think it was slightly cheaper by then, though not much cheaper.

I never saw a Speccy at all over here. I didn’t even know about that computer’s popularity until decades later when I was browsing C64 game sites.
Writing: It's more fun than a barrel of Ebola ridden monkeys!
EndMaster

Previous

Return to General IF