ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Working on some tutorials

The place to chat about ideas, writing, this forum, or anything related to Interactive Fiction that isn't specific to ADRIFT.

Please also visit the Interactive Fiction Community Forum for further discussions.

Working on some tutorials

Postby Lumin » Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:13 am

I'll be posting what I have tomorrow most likely. Right now it's just a really basic explanation of IF for first time players and a few screenshots of play examples (which I used the beginning of Anno 1700 for so I hope that's cool with Po Prune).

Tonight I'm working on a "game" that's once again aimed at CYS people that's meant to explain how to use ADRIFT for CYOA style games.

But what I'd like to know is if there's anything else that comes up a lot that you guys think we specifically could use a step by step explanation of? Keeping it simple of course, I don't want to overwhelm newbies and also simple stuff is literally all I know how to do.
Lumin

Re: Working on some tutorials

Postby P/o Prune » Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:42 am

Lumin wrote:I'll be posting what I have tomorrow most likely. Right now it's just a really basic explanation of IF for first time players and a few screenshots of play examples (which I used the beginning of Anno 1700 for so I hope that's cool with Po Prune).

Tonight I'm working on a "game" that's once again aimed at CYS people that's meant to explain how to use ADRIFT for CYOA style games.

But what I'd like to know is if there's anything else that comes up a lot that you guys think we specifically could use a step by step explanation of? Keeping it simple of course, I don't want to overwhelm newbies and also simple stuff is literally all I know how to do.

It's ok with me, of course. :yeah:
Where are you going to post them? Scanning the forum there are already topics in General IF and Adrift 5.0
Looking forward to see what you come up with.
D-Day in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
Just a Fairy Tale: 97kb
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby Lumin » Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:04 pm

Probably just here in General, or even right here in this thread. This board has a pretty sad amount of activity compared to technical help stuff.
And I'll upload the file to the demo section.

Although as I was wrapping up the example file I realized something really sad:

Should've just told them all to use 4.0 for this.
Because the most complex part of the explanation was how to make the game display the location immediately when the player is moved to a new room.
And it's by far the most tedious part of actually making a game like this since you have to put Player.Location.Description in every movement task.
Lumin

Postby David Whyld » Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:54 pm

That's one of the things I don't get about v5. In many ways, it's light years ahead of v4 in what it can do, but in others it lags badly behind. Things that are simple and straightforward in v4 seems needlessly complicated in v5, or at least just a lot more longwinded.

If Campbell ever does bring out a new release of v5, he really ought to take a look at some of the things v4 does better and see about incorporating them into v5.
David Whyld

Postby Lumin » Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:46 pm

David Whyld wrote:If Campbell ever does bring out a new release of v5, he really ought to take a look at some of the things v4 does better and see about incorporating them into v5.

Nice Big Text Window and just copying text straight off the gameplay window, I miss you more every day...
Lumin

Postby David Whyld » Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:21 pm

I really miss the Nice Big Text Window. Being able to format the text the way you wanted was great and I don't get why it got removed for v5. The Small Bland Box we have now just doesn't cut it.
David Whyld

Postby Denk » Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:34 pm

Lumin wrote:Should've just told them all to use 4.0 for this.
Because the most complex part of the explanation was how to make the game display the location immediately when the player is moved to a new room.
And it's by far the most tedious part of actually making a game like this since you have to put Player.Location.Description in every movement task.

You can just make an action: [Run Task][Look]

Having said that, I am sure that V4 had a lot of brilliant stuff which hasn't made it into V5 yet. Hopefully, Campbell will find the time to improve some of this - we can only hope :)
----------------------------------------------------------------------
The Bash Saga:
1. The Dragon Diamond 2. The Way Home 3. Stone of Wisdom
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Denk

Postby Lumin » Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:27 pm

The extra clicking for an additional action adds up to be even more annoying though, we're talking dozens or potentially even hundreds of tasks.
Lumin

Postby David Whyld » Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:45 pm

That's another thing I'm not fond of: clicking. I know some clicking is necessary but it could certainly be cut down a great deal. v4 had a lot of handy keyboard shortcuts you could use instead of clicking but most don't work in v5. You could even use v4 without a mouse at all if you wanted, but that was probably going a bit too far. For example: I can move up and down the tasks list with the arrow keys but I need to double click a task with the mouse to open it. Why not allow the ENTER key to open it?
David Whyld

Postby P/o Prune » Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:32 pm

Lumin wrote:I'll be posting what I have tomorrow most likely. Right now it's just a really basic explanation of IF for first time players and a few screenshots of play examples (which I used the beginning of Anno 1700 for so I hope that's cool with Po Prune).

Like I mentioned earlier, using Anno 1700 is perfectly ok with me if you think it's of any use.
Adrift V.5 is a great tool with lots of possibilities. However, Like Lazzah, I'm too old to understand much of the "rocket science" some of you guys talk about: %object% %Character randomize if, then, that and the other thing% :?
But luckily V.5 allows me to create the game I want to. Even if I have to take "the long way around" to get things done. :yeah:
D-Day in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
Just a Fairy Tale: 97kb
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby Lumin » Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:06 pm

David Whyld wrote:You could even use v4 without a mouse at all if you wanted, but that was probably going a bit too far.

A while back I was able to confirm that v4 is perfectly accessible to the blind, while v5 is not.
Lumin

Postby rovarsson » Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:35 am

Hi Lumin,

I'm curious as to what you come up with. I always enjoy reading different authors' take on introducing IF.
rovarsson

Return to General IF