ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Adventure Creation Tips for Newcomers

The place to chat about ideas, writing, this forum, or anything related to Interactive Fiction that isn't specific to ADRIFT.

Please also visit the Interactive Fiction Community Forum for further discussions.

Re: Adventure Creation Tips for Newcomers

Postby MikeDesert » Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:51 pm

I will not however focus more on coherent posts.
Last place winner of Adrift 2011 Ectocomp
MikeDesert

Postby shauneq » Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:24 pm

Just started creating my own I.F. after playing it for decades. There is a lot of good advice here. One thing I would personally take caution on is the room descriptions. Yes a more descriptive interpretation is good to fire the imagination, but for me I hate descriptions that go on and on for many sentences with irrelevant information. I definitely want to feel like I am IN the scene but I am here to solve a puzzle, not read a novel. When I see a long paragraph come up, unless something exciting just happened, I think UGH, I have to read through all this. I guess there's just a fine line between sparse boring descriptions and long winded descriptions.

Sort of on that point, I DO like objects worked into the description as opposed to an appended "Also here is a bell cord".
shauneq

Postby Lazzah » Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:23 pm

shauneq wrote:Sort of on that point, I DO like objects worked into the description as opposed to an appended "Also here is a bell cord".

The objects listed in the appended "Also here is a bell cord" will be dynamic objects that the PC can pick up and manipulate. Objects "worked into the description" are usually scenery (i.e. static) objects which the PC can examine or read, etc, but they cannot usually pick up.
OUT NOW: The Lost Children
Current W.I.P.: Magnetic Moon
Also available: The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust - The Fist of Fire
Lazzah

Postby ralphmerridew » Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:18 pm

There is also a tradition that dynamic objects are worked into the room description initially, but are displayed in the "Also here is ..." part after they've been moved.
Bloodhounds can make you laugh and cuss in the same breath. They are endearing, faithful, and can sling drool ten feet in any direction. -- Virginia Lanier
ralphmerridew

Postby Bukibuki » Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:42 pm

I guess almost most of us came into designing how to make text adventures by finding out while playing them first. There is a wide list of quite annoying works out there which I tried to play. Basically if I hadn't dropped so many of them do to various reasons that made them unplayable I would know quite less of what to avoid on my own. So they did help me in some way. The worst of ALL things to me is having to guess the EXACT command for doing something. No alliases. THAT'S lazy. You can't even tell what's there for show and what not.
Miss the past I used to hate
Hate the present I should love
Fear the future I should brave
and shut up, cats are cool.
Bukibuki

Previous

Return to General IF