ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Bare Plot Review

The place to chat about ideas, writing, this forum, or anything related to Interactive Fiction that isn't specific to ADRIFT.

Please also visit the Interactive Fiction Community Forum for further discussions.

Postby Ravenous » Mon Jul 29, 2002 1:32 am

Hi,

I was wondering if I could get a review on the idea for a plot I'm having. Please, comments and criticism are welcome. I would say constructive, but people rarely follow that anyway.

I'm thinking of using it for a game I'm creating using Visual Basic. Or I might use it in ADRIFT. I dunno.

You were one of a small band of treasure hunters who had delved deep into a labrynth in search of loot. Unwittingly you came upon a slumbering vampire, and you could do little but watch as they fled the chamber. Barring the door behind them, of course.

Naturally you were feasted upon. Your struggles were all in vain, although you unknowingly provided plenty of time for your "comrades" to escape to the surface and run for safety.

OK so far? I'm sure it's chock full of cliches, unfortunately. Now, I want opinions on which direction it should take:

1) You wake up a few days later as one angry vampire. You vow to seek out your ex-friends and have them pay for abandoning you.

2) You fall into a deep slumber that lasts for a couple hundred years. You awake, still quite angry, and vow to wreak havoc upon your friend's descendants.

What does everyone think? I'm quite open to what you think I should redo or change.
USA Today has come out with a new survey: Apparently three out of four people make up 75 percent of the population.

--David Letterman
Ravenous

Postby Sockets » Mon Jul 29, 2002 3:37 am

What's the fun in being the bad guy?
Forgive me for the past...
Sockets

Postby Ravenous » Mon Jul 29, 2002 3:41 am

Since when did all games involve around being good? Rather than have a game where you're the heroic warrior who slays the villain, why not have it the other way?
USA Today has come out with a new survey: Apparently three out of four people make up 75 percent of the population.

--David Letterman
Ravenous

Postby Mystery » Mon Jul 29, 2002 3:41 am

I kinda like the second idea. I would imagine even a fresh vampire would have issues with doing in his friends; knowing/realising what a horrible fate immortality could bring.
~Myst~
Mystery

Postby Ravenous » Mon Jul 29, 2002 3:43 am

Hmm, very good point - I never really considered that. Thanks for the input! :)

--David Letterman
Ravenous

Postby Ravenous » Mon Jul 29, 2002 3:43 am

And I probably should have clarified this earlier: in the game you don't just stalk the victim and feast. There's going to be a lot more to it rather than blood-drinking.

--David Letterman
Ravenous

Postby Sockets » Mon Jul 29, 2002 3:50 am

Is this going to be horror-based?
Sockets

Postby Ravenous » Mon Jul 29, 2002 3:53 am

Yeah, most likely. I wouldn't envision a vampire wreaking havoc while bunnies romp playfully in the grass. :p

--David Letterman
Ravenous

Postby Sockets » Mon Jul 29, 2002 4:00 am

How could hunting down your friends be scary? All you do is watch them in terror as they run from you hear their agonizing scream when you bite them and suck their blood. I don't see how it could be scary. Could you show me?

Do you want this game to scare me? Or do you want it to just be horror?
Sockets

Postby Mystery » Mon Jul 29, 2002 4:27 am

Maybe the point isn't to scare you, but to entertain. One who is a horror buff, might require a lot more stimulation to reach a desired state of 'scare factor'. Others might purely thrive on the authors descriptions, puzzles, and story line to deliver a well rounded, stimulating adventure.
Mystery

Postby Mut » Mon Jul 29, 2002 5:25 am

What you could do (and I'm going with the second idea) is have it like this:

It is 19th Century England. You are a treasure hunter, who, along with a group of fellow "tomb raiders", decide to venture deep into the tomb of Sir Whatsisname of Wherever. Everything happens that was mentioned above ... vampire wakes up, you abandoned, tomb sealed, chomp, bite, slurp slurp. You manage to kill the vampire that bit you, but it is too late: you are turned. From that point on, you go into a period of hibernation.

CUT TO: Modern Day New York City (or London, depending on which country you'd like to base the game in)

The descendants of the treasure hunters that abandoned you have taken up the family business, and opened your tomb. Big mistake. After 150-odd years of being locked in a dusty old crypt, you're feeling a bit pissed off. With a new purpose to your life (or unlife, as it is) you set off to dispose of those that unwittingly freed you. Unfortunately, you are not the only vampire that exists, and so there has been a secret branch of the government formed with the sole purpose to hunt your kind. Add in the difficulties of learning to deal with other vampires and their culture, and you've got yourself something of a cross between an Anne Rice novel, John Carpenter's Vampires, and Dracula 2000.

Or something like that. :D
R.I.P. Hunter S. Thompson (1937-2005)
Mut

Postby Mercury » Mon Jul 29, 2002 6:13 am

Edited By Mercury on 06 Aug. 2002 at 12:55
Mercury

Postby Sockets » Mon Jul 29, 2002 12:12 pm

I wonder how all this is going to turn out.
Sockets

Postby MileOut » Mon Jul 29, 2002 12:39 pm

I don't know if this site is still accessible but I'll post the link anyway. It should be an old vampire site I made.

The Vampire Mile
MileOut

Postby Ravenous » Mon Jul 29, 2002 1:02 pm

Ok, thanks for the input. It's clearly obvious about half of you who posted on this thread (maybe more) think it's a cheap movie plot, so I'll probably scrap it in favor of another.

I have a few more running around in my head that I might work on. If I find them suitable, I'll probably post them here to be 'analyzed'.

--David Letterman
Ravenous

Next

Return to General IF