ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Bare Plot Review

The place to chat about ideas, writing, this forum, or anything related to Interactive Fiction that isn't specific to ADRIFT.

Please also visit the Interactive Fiction Community Forum for further discussions.

Postby Ravenous » Mon Jul 29, 2002 1:04 pm

And no, Merc, one could say I already was attacked, so feel free to post it. This plot is pretty much already doomed, so (if you want) you can send it to me in a PM or put it here.

I really want the honest opinion, as without it there's little chance of me bettering other plots I may create.
USA Today has come out with a new survey: Apparently three out of four people make up 75 percent of the population.

--David Letterman
Ravenous

Postby Sockets » Mon Jul 29, 2002 1:09 pm

Don't try to get a plot. Let a plot come to you, whenever it may. And when it does, write it down.
Forgive me for the past...
Sockets

Postby Ravenous » Mon Jul 29, 2002 1:13 pm

Thanks for the advice, but you may have misread my posts. The one I posted here was one of about three I was considering at the time.

If you read Echo's "Out Of Ideas" thread in the general forum, you'll see I've always followed the advice you just gave me.
USA Today has come out with a new survey: Apparently three out of four people make up 75 percent of the population.

--David Letterman
Ravenous

Postby Cannibal » Mon Jul 29, 2002 3:28 pm

I thought the idea certainly had potential, esp with a modern day slant to it - this could introduce a host of problems and puzzles.

And who doesn't like to play the bad guys ?

I mean, since when did a text adventure have to be PC ?

As an adventurer we kill and loot and hoarde treasure...yeah, we're really the good guy :)

Cannibal
Games:
The Plague (Redux), The Woods Are Dark, The Night That Dripped Blood
Cannibal

Postby Mystery » Mon Jul 29, 2002 3:39 pm

I still like the idea. I don't think it's a cheap movie plot. Heck, the idea of vampires has been around forever....before movies.
Mystery

Postby Mercury » Mon Jul 29, 2002 6:22 pm

Edited By Mercury on 06 Aug. 2002 at 12:56
Mercury

Postby Ravenous » Mon Jul 29, 2002 6:52 pm

Thanks a bunch for the input everybody. Many thanks to Merc for helping me make it better, and Mystery for the encouragement. :)

One idea I had was for it to be a CYOA type thing (Choose Your Own Adventure) where you, as the player, had to escape from the vampire's lair (after your friends abandoned you) before sunrise. I might try it out, or I might stick with the basic premise and work from there.

Thanks again.

--David Letterman
Ravenous

Postby Mercury » Mon Jul 29, 2002 9:20 pm

Edited By Mercury on 06 Aug. 2002 at 12:56
Mercury

Postby Ravenous » Tue Jul 30, 2002 2:32 am

And if I do stick the original plot, I'll add this piece so those who think going after your friends will be pointless:

The "comrades" are actually in league with the vampire that lives in Labrynth. In return for substenance, the vamp gives them power. It is a powerful motivator, after all.

[Edit]: As this would make it essentially a revenge plot, I'll probably be editing a bit. Although at the moment the CYOA seems to be a high priority, after the story I'm currently writing.

No, it's not horror. :p

Edited By Ravenous on 30 July 2002 at 03:36

--David Letterman
Ravenous

Postby Sockets » Tue Jul 30, 2002 3:03 am

Well in that case, go for it!
Forgive me for the past...
Sockets

Postby Ravenous » Tue Jul 30, 2002 3:28 am

The CYOA, or the story that just happens to not be directly involved around horror? :p

I might post a bit of my story up in here later for critique. It's titled "Autumn Flame", for those (namely, none of you :)) who might be curious.

--David Letterman
Ravenous

Postby En Kerklaar » Tue Jul 30, 2002 8:01 pm

I would definitely like to see that story, Ravenous, if you'd be willing to post an excerpt.

As for the idea, why isn't it horror? For one, I'd think playing the bad guy would be just as horrific, if not more so, than playing the good guy. Namely because instead of watching the bad guy do all these evil, horrific things, you're actually doing them.

The game could be very horrific if you did it right. For example, you're killing descendants. So that would probably include children.

So in one scene, you vampirically embrace, say, a six-year-old girl. You do this by typing "bite girl" or something similar.

So now the player has done it. He's more or less killed a child. Worse, he's done what might be viewed by the player as a fate worse than death. He's taken her soul away. Or something.

The thing is, the character loves it. He enjoys it thoroughly. He can't believe how good it feels to destroy something beautiful, to take away a childs' youth forever, not by ending it, but by prolonging it indefinitely.

Situations like this could be extremely terrifying, if the player's thoughts, feelings, and morals are at odds with those of the PC. And even if they're not, he's still engaging in something through interactivity that he would normally only read about or watch in a movie, passively.

In IF, use the involvement of the reader as a participant in the story to your advantage. This goes doubley for horror, in my opinion.
Why can't you eat soup in the Matrix? Because there is no spoon!
En Kerklaar

Postby Ravenous » Wed Jul 31, 2002 12:18 am

I would definitely like to see that story, Ravenous, if you'd be willing to post an excerpt.

Truly? Great. :) Hopefully I'll be able to post the sections tonight. If not both, at least one, although I'd prefer to post both installments.

As for the other comments, they really got me to consider the plot as it is. I have either two options:

1) Do a CYOA version where the player has yet to be feasted upon and must escape the vampire's lair without waking him.

2) Do a text adventure in a similar vein, linking with the player's emotions and using them to induce a horrific element.

As the situation stands, both seem very plausible. I could probably use number one using Visual Basic, and use number two with ADRIFT.

If I need beta testers, you're bound get a PM someday. :)

Thanks again.

--David Letterman
Ravenous

Postby En Kerklaar » Wed Jul 31, 2002 1:37 am

No problem. If you need a betatester, I'm your man. My response may not be timely, but it will, hopefully, be helpful.

Yay, helpfulness!
Why can't you eat soup in the Matrix? Because there is no spoon!
En Kerklaar

Postby Ravenous » Wed Jul 31, 2002 3:04 am

Great. :D

I sent you a PM with a bit from my story, although I'm beginning to wonder if the system is a bit messed up on my end. I can store plenty of more messages (according to my inbox), but unless people are just ignoring me I'm beginning to wonder if something is stopping me from receiving messages.

That, or I'm overanxious. One of the two, I suppose.

--David Letterman
Ravenous

Previous

Return to General IF