ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Cliches

The place to chat about ideas, writing, this forum, or anything related to Interactive Fiction that isn't specific to ADRIFT.

Please also visit the Interactive Fiction Community Forum for further discussions.

Postby Mercury » Sun Jul 28, 2002 10:27 pm

Edited By Mercury on 06 Aug. 2002 at 12:52
Mercury

Postby theleaf » Sun Jul 28, 2002 10:40 pm

Aha! So Deastopolis and Phobos have something (Slightly) original then!
"Bye!"

"Seeya!"

"Thanks for the mint."
theleaf

Postby theleaf » Sun Jul 28, 2002 10:44 pm

I've got one or two:

-The hero and his love interest finally fall in love (Both of them anyway) and kiss in the oh-so-short time before the final battle.

-The hero has a tutor who is supposed to be better than the hero but always ends up being killed/defeated somehow with the hero avenging him.

Edited By theleaf on 28 July 2002 at 23:53
"Bye!"

"Seeya!"

"Thanks for the mint."
theleaf

Postby Mut » Sun Jul 28, 2002 10:54 pm

Hmmm. All very good examples. But how about:

- The hero always wins

I have yet to see a game where, after questing over land and sea after the arch-villain, the hero loses. Why are there no twist-endings in games? I mean, sure, if the player completes all the puzzles and puts great effort into winning, he/she expects to get the loot/baddy/girl/whatever-else-you-usually-get. Why can't it be that, after defeating the evil invading army and confronting the villain, it is revealed that the good king was actually behind the whole thing, and the main character is used as the fall-guy? Or something like that ...
R.I.P. Hunter S. Thompson (1937-2005)
Mut

Postby MileOut » Sun Jul 28, 2002 11:15 pm

My game Panic isn't exactly the most positive of endings!
MileOut

Postby DuoDave » Mon Jul 29, 2002 12:43 am

The best examples of these adventure movie cliches are:

Any action movies starring Arnold Schwarzennegger, Bruce Willis, Tom Cruise, Nicholas Cage. Anything directed by John Wu.

Bonus to "True Lies" which uses almost all of those cliches and is a farce at the same time.

You forgot the weak sidekick that the lead is constantly rescuing. The sidekick is not always a love interest.
DuoDave

Postby Ravenous » Mon Jul 29, 2002 1:18 am

The concept I grow ever-tired of would be the scene where the lowly farmboy/minor character saves the world. Nevermind the fact that he's probably never wielded a sword and is mortally afraid of cow manure.

It's a bit related to the previously mentioned cliches, but still. It CAN be done correctly, however, like in YADFA where it was used as a comedy piece, or when the lowly warrior actually learns the skill instead of grabbing an axe and slaying an army of munchkins.

I could be wrong, but wasn't the aforementioned cliche the whole plot of Dungeon Siege? I never bothered to play it.
USA Today has come out with a new survey: Apparently three out of four people make up 75 percent of the population.

--David Letterman
Ravenous

Postby Lancer Sykera » Mon Jul 29, 2002 1:39 am

BUT, what if someone made a game with the following:

Raid ancient tomb of a very dead mummy.

Help an evil sorcerer with his plans.

Witness the birth of family members, or the best moment of their lives.

Villian is a young human white man who speaks proper English, is totally sane, an average IQ, etc.

A confident hero becomes reluctant during his quest.

You can bash through a locked door after only 2 tries.

You can punch the riddler in the face and run along down the path. (Unless of course, the riddler is the Sphynx, in which case you would die.)

An arch villian has henchman who are of a very slightly lesser intelligence, equal, or higher.

The arch villian loves his henchman, treats them as best friends.

the arch villain beats and mistreats his henchmen to the extent you feel sorry for them, but not too sorry for them (this being inspired by the Old Testament; they cannot be forgiven even though they may be pitiful and repentant)

I think this is more inspired by the fact that they are still your enemy, and still might kill you, especially if maybe if they don't, they will be beaten, so they really want to kill you.

We cry at the misfortunes of the henchman, no matter what their intelligence.

I would continue, but it is getting tiring to keep scrolling down, up, typing, down, up, etc. Some of these would help to make a great game, but some others, although what you said about them is true, would make a weird and silly game.

Try not to throw things.

[:)
Lancer Sykera

Postby Mut » Mon Jul 29, 2002 4:56 am

That was ... random. :D

(The comment, not the series! )

Edited By Mut on 29 July 2002 at 00:57
R.I.P. Hunter S. Thompson (1937-2005)
Mut

Postby Mercury » Mon Jul 29, 2002 6:43 am

Edited By Mercury on 29 July 2002 at 07:46
Mercury

Postby theleaf » Mon Jul 29, 2002 10:12 am

Mercury wrote:..

Brilliant Mercury, just brillliant!

(Why do you keep deleting your posts? I want to read 'em!)
"Bye!"

"Seeya!"

"Thanks for the mint."
theleaf

Postby ds490 » Mon Jul 29, 2002 4:49 pm

How about cliches with a twist?

-Valliant hero, just out of prison, is told he his destined to save the world from an evil alien race. Hero decides not to save the world. Earth is destroyed and he is ironically captured by the aliens who torture him to the point of insanity.

-Princess is captured by evil wizard. Knight goes on a quest to save her, but takes so long the wizard gets impatient and kills the princess.

-The good guy wins, but then dies of colorectal cancer.

-The Knight in shining armour rescues the princess from the evil wizard, then rapes her and they both die of colorectal cancer.

-Arnold Schwarzennegger saves the world, gets the girl, but goes to prison for extensive property damage. :p

-Arnold Schwarzennegger captures the bad guy and spares his life out of the goodness of his heart, which is subsequently blown out of his chest by the bad guy who then nukes Washington.

-Guy meets girl, falls in love with girl, has kids with girl, gets married to girl and lives happily ever after. Until he admits to her that he's gay and she admits that their children are half-llama.

-Barney goes on a magical adventure, etc. Then a behind-the-scenes camera discovers him fondling one of his very underage co-stars. The video is included on the DVD as 'bonus footage'. :p

-Married man falls in love with attractive maid. Man breaks up with wife and runs off with maid. Man marries the maid, then discovers she's not a she. He begs his former wife to take him back. Wife forgives man, everyone lives happily ever after...until man discovers wife is really husband. Man commits himself to a mental institution and dies of colorectal cancer.

-Undead walk the earth and humble gravedigger is charged with saving the world from their wrath. He meets an attractive woman, and falls in love. Then he feeds her to the undead to save his own ass. The distraction fails and the zombies eat him.

Although these ideas aren't the best for games, they might work in Hollywood. :p
~ ds490
ds490

Postby Ravenous » Mon Jul 29, 2002 6:55 pm

ds490 wrote:-Princess is captured by evil wizard. Knight goes on a quest to save her, but takes so long the wizard gets impatient and kills the princess.

Or, how about the knight is such a crappy warrior he never saves her and in the end the princess has to lay the smackdown on her captors?

I think that would be funny in a comedic situation.
USA Today has come out with a new survey: Apparently three out of four people make up 75 percent of the population.

--David Letterman
Ravenous

Postby Mercury » Mon Jul 29, 2002 7:00 pm

Edited By Mercury on 06 Aug. 2002 at 12:52
Mercury

Postby ds490 » Mon Jul 29, 2002 10:20 pm

-You are an average man sucked into a magical world of adventure and magic and pink beavers. You have many strange and exciting encounters as you embark on a quest to find your way back home.
The twist: You're actually high on Acid.

-You are an innocent man accused of a crime. You are forced to run from the law and find out who really killed [insert name here].
The twist: You did it.

-You are a child who meets some weird moster who threatens to kill your family. You must find out a way to stop this monster and save your family while trapped in your house.
The twist: You're actually high on Acid. Then you die of colorectal cancer.
~ ds490
ds490

Next

Return to General IF