ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

A correct way of doing things?

The place to chat about ideas, writing, this forum, or anything related to Interactive Fiction that isn't specific to ADRIFT.

Please also visit the Interactive Fiction Community Forum for further discussions.

Postby Markjd » Tue Aug 06, 2002 12:08 pm

I was just wondering if theres a correct order to do things in when putting an adventure together?

For example do you create all your rooms followed by all your objects, then tasks etc. Or do you create a room followed by any objects that are in it and then move on to the next room.
Markjd

Postby Woodfish » Tue Aug 06, 2002 12:25 pm

I usually create a room, then make all the objects that are in it, which usually leads to creating more objects, for example, in the game I'm making, when you first examine the platform, it says it's suspended by four ropes, then when you look at the rope, you see the strands (object for them), they are attached to the platform by a steel plate (object for that) then bolts and screws (objects for them) and loads more. Next, I go over all the objects and think of ways you can interact with them, and create tasks for all of them. I do this with NPCs to. Then I let my friends play on a room, and get them to be really manipulative and to examine everything they think of, and interact with things in whatever way they think of. Then I add all of them commands. And then I start putting the story into the room.
Woodfish
Woodfish

Postby MileOut » Tue Aug 06, 2002 12:28 pm

Personally, I work in the latter.

Although I plan out all my games beforehand on paper I don't think about what the rooms look like. Only when I write the descriptions do I really know what's in the room. After writing about it, I look back over the text and create a backup reference to each object described. If I further describe new objects within these descriptions then I backup them too.

Looking at each object I then think of actions the player might attempt and create tasks for them - even if they are just for realism.

At the end of the game - once everything is in place - I make the game - making every task to advance the player.

Finally, with the characters, I give them a response to every object within the game, to every characters, to possible events, and loads of more information about numerous things - maybe even some surprise responses, too.
MileOut

Postby Mystery » Tue Aug 06, 2002 4:21 pm

I am insanely unorganized when it comes to building the story, so I usually come up with a general idea then write the intro. I'll add a room and maybe a few objects and a couple of tasks. Then move on to the next room. Then skip around from there. When I am done, I go back and rewrite the intro.

I guess you could call it organized chaos.
Mystery

Postby Astridian » Fri Aug 09, 2002 5:24 am

If I'm planning on releasing my game to the public I plan things out first. I do as much as I can on paper before I actually start building in Adrift.

When I'm in Adrift I generally start creating the room that the player starts in and then go to the objects and characters that occupy that room. I make tasks in random order because I tend to test my game as I create it.
Astridian

Postby Hanadorobou » Fri Aug 09, 2002 5:14 pm

I make my game in segments. Since my TAF file is getting so large and it takes a light-year for Adrift to create a new room or open up an old one for edit, I make new bunches of rooms and the objects that go with them in a separate file, then import them into the main file afterwards. I make as many of the tasks associated with those rooms as possible before importing. Then I add the characters and events for those rooms in the main file.

Additional tasks get added whenever. It is convenient that you can insert them wherever you like.
Hanadorobou

Postby Hanadorobou » Mon Aug 12, 2002 4:52 pm

When working independently you can do things in whatever order you like. However, it may not be so when working cooperatively. Anyone out there working on a joint project? I'd like to hear how you managed things. I'm of a mind to swear off independent projects as soon as I finish my current one. Too much work for one person!
Hanadorobou

Return to General IF