ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

paragraphing and indenting - what looks best?

The place to chat about ideas, writing, this forum, or anything related to Interactive Fiction that isn't specific to ADRIFT.

Please also visit the Interactive Fiction Community Forum for further discussions.

Postby Hanadorobou » Mon Aug 12, 2002 4:45 pm

What paragraphing scheme is best for the player? I've played a lot of Inform games where the paragraphing works like so: Room name, followed by a line break and and indent, followed by room description, followed by two line breaks and an indent, followed by something of particular interest in the room. Comings and goings of characters and events transpiring always constitute new paragraphs.

But in Adrift, you have to sort of go out of your way if you want to make it look exactly like that. Adding line breaks here and there is no big deal, but to make characters entering and exiting a room appear on a new line, I think you've got to make ALR file entries for each of them.

So is it worth it? Or is there a better way to manage your paragraphs? Also, how many of you start your room and other descriptions with an indent?
Hanadorobou

Postby Mystery » Mon Aug 12, 2002 5:08 pm

In V4 you can double click on the text boxes to open bigger box.. It works great for formatting and you don't have to put in line breaks. You just write it down as you want it...ta da!

I'm not sure about the characters entering/exiting. If you wanted it to appear on a new line you'd probably have to use the

in the 'what to show when player enters/exits' box.

To me, indenting doesn't matter all that much. But it does look nicer.
Mystery

Postby Woodfish » Mon Aug 12, 2002 5:49 pm

That's what I do.

<b>Grassy Path</b>
You are on what appears to be a wide path, over-run with long green grass. A clear river runs along side it, to the east, reflecting the sun's bright rays. A bushy hedge runs along the other side, and next to the path beside you, bearing rows of red berries. The sky is cloudless and blue, and the sun is overhead. The path leads north and south.

Comes out as:

Grassy Path
You are on what appears to be a wide path, over-run with long green grass. A clear river runs along side it, to the east, reflecting the sun's bright rays. A bushy hedge runs along the other side, and next to the path beside you, bearing rows of red berries. The sky is cloudless and blue, and the sun is overhead. The path leads north and south.

Then if the there was something happening, it would be:

Grassy Path

A shiny metalic object is slowly rising from the depths of the river, water cascading off its shiny surface.

That seems to always work for me. No indenting in descriptions. Also, I'd type "<b>Grassy Path</b>" in the short description box. Then it would come up as:

You move north.
Grassy path.

Makes it easier to read, I think.

Although, I make tasks for moving everywhere in my games. Time consuming yes, but it makes a better experience, because they can be customised.

Sorry 'bout the long post! :p
Woodfish
Woodfish

Postby Hanadorobou » Tue Aug 13, 2002 5:14 pm

I'm not sure about the characters entering/exiting. If you wanted it to appear on a new line you'd probably have to use the

in the 'what to show when player enters/exits' box.

The problem is that you can only replace the word "enters" or "exits" without going to your ALR file.

Also, I'd type "<b>Grassy Path</b>" in the short description box. Then it would come up as:

But isn't it superfluous to manually make the short description bold when it will be displayed bold anyways as long as the player has the "Room names in Descriptions" field checked in the Runner? (in v4.0)
Hanadorobou

Postby Woodfish » Tue Aug 13, 2002 6:40 pm

What an idiot I am!

Good job you told me that, thanks! :p
Woodfish
Woodfish

Postby Hanadorobou » Wed Aug 14, 2002 6:43 pm

Okay, how about dialogue? How do you handle two or more NPC's conversing? In every book I've ever read, characters' speech is separated by new lines and indenting. Thinking about it more, I'm inclined to conclude that you can't neglect indenting if there is any substantial dialogue in your game. Separating characters' speech with two line breaks each time would be a waste of space, wouldn't it?

Edited By Hanadorobou on 14 Aug. 2002 at 23:45
Hanadorobou

Postby Mystery » Wed Aug 14, 2002 7:49 pm

It would be better than the conversations running into one another...But I suppose that if the player pays attention, there wouldn't be any fuss. I can only say what I like. I like them separated either by starteing them on a new line or a blank line between.
~Myst~
Mystery

Return to General IF