ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Pass the Salt

The place to chat about ideas, writing, this forum, or anything related to Interactive Fiction that isn't specific to ADRIFT.

Please also visit the Interactive Fiction Community Forum for further discussions.

Postby Mystery » Fri Aug 16, 2002 7:50 pm

Along the lines of Around The World, the goal of this writing challenge is to mention salt in each story segment. Please keep the language clean and remember to leave your signatures off. Please make an effort and keep one-liners out.

PASS THE SALT

The table was set with the fine china and good silver. As each guest arrived they were brought in by the butler and seated at the large table. It was one of those that you see in the movies that seat about forty people; and you can't even see the host at the other end.

You tip up your glass of wine and try to look around the large centerpiece to view the mystery man at the other end of the table, to no avail. You watch as the last guest is seated next to you. He seems familiar, but you just can't place from where.

"May I have your attention, please?" A voice calls from the other end of the table. It is no doubt the voice of the host.

"I have asked all of you here today because one of you shall inhereit my entire fortune in the event of my death. Some of you may not even know who I am; but I assure you that I know who you are. I thought this little party would give us a chance to get to know each other better. Throughout the evening I will be getting to know each and every one of you just a little bit better. By the end of the evening I will announce who my sole heir will be. With that said, please enjoy the meal my fine cooks have prepared, and will someone please pass the salt? I'm starving."
Mystery

Postby Lancer Sykera » Sat Aug 17, 2002 3:44 am

in each story segment.

That kinda implies that you have to continue it.
Lancer Sykera

Postby Mystery » Sat Aug 17, 2002 4:08 am

Duh!
Mystery

Postby Mystery » Sat Aug 17, 2002 4:33 am

The salt happens to be right in front of you. You grab it and notice that the shaker is in the shape of a lighthouse. You pass it to the lady on the right of you, while still holding your glance to the man on the left. You just can't place his face, but are certain that you have seen him somewhere before.

"Some party," he says while unfolding his napkin, "this is the best entertainment I've had all year. Sad, isn't it?'

You do nothing but nod, while trying to place his face...his voice...You are certain that he is no stranger. You try your best to do the same with the host. Although you haven't seen his face, his voice sems to ring a bell. You finish your dinner while trying to maintain some kind of chit chat with the familiar man next to you. That is when you realize where you remember him from.

Edited By Mystery on 17 Aug. 2002 at 12:13
Mystery

Postby Lancer Sykera » Sat Aug 17, 2002 4:57 pm

Mystery, my post was aimed at someone else, I think ravenous, who posted his own story involving salt, instead of continuing it, and asked if he was supposed to continue yours, so I answered him. He deleted it now.
Lancer Sykera

Postby Lancer Sykera » Sat Aug 17, 2002 6:46 pm

On a foggy night quite some time ago, you remember... you remember the road salt was too thick on the road... something happened.... it was an accident.... a man was in the road.... you tried to stop but you were going too fast... you hit him.... his face hit the windshield..... You stopped the car, and got out. He wasn't moving. You didn't know what to do, and you freaked out, afraid of any legal charges that could occur by taking him in for help.... after all, you had been drinking at that party..... That's where you remember the face! It was him that you hit!

Edited By Lancer Sykera on 17 Aug. 2002 at 16:22
Lancer Sykera

Postby En Kerklaar » Sat Aug 17, 2002 7:07 pm

"So anyway," the man is telling you, "I used to enjoy going out for walks alone on foggy nights, but since my accident -"

"Great salt," you say, changing the subject. "It really gives the meat a very, uh, salty flavor."

"Can't stand the stuff myself. Makes me break out in the most horrible rash -"

"Fascinating," you say, forking a huge chunk of meat and shoving the entire thing in your mouth. "Fmmey fmmmnaating."

"Excuse me? What was that?"

"Fmmey fmmmnaating!" You always talk with your mouth full when you're nervous. Your therapist says it's a way of protecting yourself.

Which reminds you, your therapist is at the party. She sees you from the other end of the table and smiles, raising her wine glass slightly, then downing it.

Edited By En Kerklaar on 17 Aug. 2002 at 20:07
En Kerklaar

Postby Mystery » Sat Aug 17, 2002 7:22 pm

You nearly choke on the salty meat as you look around the table. You realize that you know everyone here. There is the guy that you used to bully in college; an old girlfriend that you dumped an hour before the prom; an old business partner that you swindled out of thousands of dollars on a bad investment scheme. The only person that you don't recognise is the host. You suddenly feel very uncomfortable and ask the butler for another glass of wine.
Mystery

Postby En Kerklaar » Sat Aug 17, 2002 7:32 pm

Well, so much for twelve steps.

"You know," says the man you hit with your car, "I never did find out who hit me with their car."

"Nnnn unnno. Mmmf mfff." You continue to shovel as much salt-covered meat as you can into your mouth.

The butler arrives with your wine. "Your wine, sir."

"Mmmmfk oo." You grab the glass and toss the entire contents back into your meat-filled maw. Some of it dribbles back onto the tablecloth.

"Unnnuffffer," you say, putting the empty glass back onto the butler's tray. He shakes his head and walks back to get more wine.

Edited By En Kerklaar on 17 Aug. 2002 at 20:42
En Kerklaar

Postby The Mad Monk » Sat Aug 17, 2002 10:49 pm

"So, anyway," continues the man.

Sick of his story, you say, "Hey, look over there!" When he turns around, you uncap the salt shaker and dump it into his white wine.

He turns back to you. "I don't see anything."

You shake your head, as if to clear it, and feign confusement. "Oops, thought I saw something."

The man takes a sip of his tainted wine and spews it out over the tablecloth. "Agh! Oo! Ick! Pleh! Ack!"

The host gives him a rather odd look.
In related news, Kenneth Ham reveals that he knows precisely squat about fossils. Film at eleven.

That's Poodle's lovely avatar up there...
The Mad Monk

Postby Mystery » Sat Aug 17, 2002 10:49 pm

You excuse yourself from the table to have a look around. Taking a pinch of salt, you throw it over your shoulder for luck. Not that you need any, but judging by the faces of anyone you have ever done wrong; and the fact that they are all in the same room, you need a break.

You enter the main hall of the extravagant mansion and look blankly at all the doors. They all look alike and you have no idea where they lead. So picking one at random, you proceed through the door.

You find yourself in a large library, with thousands of leatherbacked books. A couple of high back chiars sit to one side of the room, and another faces away from you. Youtake a closer look and realize that there seems to be someone sitting in one.

"Excuse me? I didn't know anyone was in here." You say, but get no response. You move closer and round the chair only to discover the dead body of Rebecca. It was she that you had dumped just an hour before the prom. You are barely able to contain yourself, as you hold your hand over your mouth to silence any sound that tries to escape.

She seems to have been strangled with a handkerchief. Your handkerchief. You quickly check your pockets and come to the somber realization that this woman has been murdered with something that belonged to you. In a panic you quickly remove the handkerchief from around her neck and cautiously leave the room.
Mystery

Postby En Kerklaar » Sun Aug 18, 2002 3:16 am

You are walking as calmly as you can muster through the hallway, thinking back on the good old days when people were strangled with ropes, when you run into him again.

"Oh, there are you. I was wondering, do you have a cigarette?"

"Uh..." you say. "No. And I thought salt made you break out into a rash."

"Oh, that. I was lying." He fumbles around in his pockets, apparently looking for a cigarette. "Anything interesting in the library?"

"Um, nope. Why? What makes you think I've been in the library? Stop accusing me! You can't prove anything!"

So saying, you run past him, around the corner, and, picking a room at random, open the door and dart in.

Panting, you hope he doesn't go into the library.

Similar panting, and then a feminine shriek prompt you to look up. When you do you realize that you've walked in on your therapist and one of her, er, sessions.

Well, she finished eating quickly, didn't she?
En Kerklaar

Postby Mystery » Sun Aug 18, 2002 11:05 pm

You quickly close the door, and enter a room across the hall. It's a guest bathroom, and you are thankfull. You risne off your face with cold water and take a drink of water from your hand. You didn't realize that you had salt on your hands and your eyes begin to burn severly. You rinse them frantically for a few minutes and pull you gaze up to the mirror. It looks like you have been crying, and in your haste your clothes have gotten a little wet.

After a couple of moments, you regani your sight to just a mild blur. That is when you notice a hand sticking out from behind the shower curtain. "Hello?" You get no reply and are frightened after what had just happened. You slowly open the curtain and fall backwards into the wall. It is your old business partner that you screwed over a few years back.

His bloated face looks up at you from beneath a bathtub full of water. He is obviously dead. Floating on the top of the water is one of your business cards. You grab the card and leave the room as fast as you can. Slipping through the hall you head towards the front door. You stop only at the site of a maid speaking to a police officer, and duck inside another room.
Mystery

Postby Mystery » Mon Aug 19, 2002 3:56 am

"Damn!", you yell, but softly, as you find yourself in a broom closet. As you are about to open the door to see if the coast is clear, you hear a couple of voices getting louder on their approach. So you listen, and stay as still as you can.

"He has no idea. Rebecca is gone and so is that pesky Roberts. The rest of the guests have no idea, but will be dying to participate."

The voices soften and seem to mover further away. You have no idea who they were....and really only heard one voice. You think as hard as you ca.........

"Hey! What the heck are you doing in here?" The man who was sitting next to you at the table asks. I was looking for the bathroom. Do you know where it is?" He asks.

"Um...Uh...I think there is one up those stairs." You say while holding what seems like your last breath. "Is there somethig going on here. I thought I saw a cop at the door?" You ask the man that you ran over.

"Aww. There was a complaint about the all the noise and traffic. It seems to be taken care of now. Say..... I was just in the library....guess what I saw?"

"Go away!" You yell as you dart out of the broom closet as salty sweat drips from your forehead.

"Man, what's with you. You act like I saw a dead body?" He says in disbelief. "I was going to tell you about this neat book I found. It's '1984', have you read it?"

"I have to go....." You state as you leave the man standing outside the broom closet. " I need some air." You head through a set of french doors, out to the garden.

Edited By Mystery on 19 Aug. 2002 at 10:16
Mystery

Postby Mystery » Mon Aug 19, 2002 5:48 pm

Other guests have gathered outside, so you head off to a dark dark area of trees. You look intently at the faces that you had done wrong. You try to think of who could be doing this. Each person here has a reason to hate your guts.

"Ahhhh!" You yell as the host of the party approaches you from behind. "You scared the hell out of me, man."

"Sorry about the old chap. I couldn't help but notice that you were all by yourself. You don't like any of the other guests?" The dark haired stranger askes whild handing you a glass of wine.

You accept and drink it down in one swallow. "I don't know who you are. But there is something that you don't know."

"Let me guess. I love these sort of games. You know everyone here. There is the gas station attendant that you punched in the face for getting grease on you custom leather seats. And over there is Faith, whom you poured a drink on in a bar for refusing your advances. And don't let us forget about Roger, that was the recipient of your anger many times in college." He says tipping his glass for another drink. "Now you want to know how I know all this. All of you have something in common, and being at this party isn't what I am talking about."

"Then what the hell are you talking about? Do you know what I found in the library?" You begin to grab for your handkechief but are stopped by the host.

"Let me guess. This is so much fun. You found a..........." You cringe at the words to follow, and are afraid. "book."

You nearly fall as your knees begin to feel like rubber. "Are you alright? You act if I was going to say 'a dead body'. Lighten up, this is a party. I'll get you some more wine. Don't go anywhere, there is a lot of money riding on this party. You could be filthy rich, some day." He walks off toward the the other guests, and looks back at you while raising his glass. You throw your hand up as if to acknowledge his gesture.
Mystery

Next

Return to General IF