ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Creating that ideal world.... - planning for a new adventure

The place to chat about ideas, writing, this forum, or anything related to Interactive Fiction that isn't specific to ADRIFT.

Please also visit the Interactive Fiction Community Forum for further discussions.

Postby nick » Thu Aug 22, 2002 9:21 am

I've started some concept development ideas for
Petridi Yaraphet: Messiah
and to spur this along, I'd like to know what people think is the ideal environment for an adventure.

Do you like being able to roam around for ages, just doing this-and-that but not really doing anything to complete the game;

Having your movements restricted to what you need to finish the game - ie: "You are standing at the front of your house, where you can finally get some rest and end your long journey yada yada yada, and just across from you is your neighbours huge three-storey mansion, which you can go to have a look around if you're bored and have nothing better to do..."
- You get my point there - bad writing, but ya get it!

Lots of useless objects and characters that have nothing to do with the completion of the game - and by objects, I mean dynamic. Characters that are just there to fill up an otherwise empty and useless room.

-----------------------
Give me some ideas of the sort of world you'd like to see in an ADRIFT game. I'm open to ideas.
-Nick
http://members.optushome.com.au/neptune7/index.html
A must read:
The Bitterbynde Trilogy by
Cecilia Dart-Thornton
nick

Postby Matt (Dark Baron) » Thu Aug 22, 2002 10:39 am

huge rpg things suck.
Well, I can't help you.
I have yet to play an text adventure thats emotional or soppy or whatever.
Most games I have played have been comedies, and if not they are still like the comedies. Random, very random. Thief, you are in a area or 30 rooms or so pieced together from different dimensions. hugecave is random. george cluneys one that campbell made is very random. (i've played both versions) and the old manor ones like L etc.
Hang on, I realise I have yet to play a text adventure with a real plot as such.
Matt (Dark Baron)

Postby Mystery » Thu Aug 22, 2002 5:26 pm

I think that you need to have some aimless wondering, pointless conversation, and meaningless tasks. Players will try everything they can, right down to trying to take off an old lady's dress, using the toilet, smacking, kicking, using objects they come across on anything just to see if it will do something. They will try illogical things to avoid the logical answer. And you never know....sometimes the illogical works!
~Myst~
Mystery

Postby davidw » Thu Aug 22, 2002 6:34 pm

I quite like the idea of pointless wanderings - provided it's not too pointless (i.e. if you've been playing the game for a week and still have no idea what you're supposed to be doing then that is too much pointless wandering).

I always find myself getting very bored very quickly with games that have a set path. If you haven't the freedom to move around the game, try a few things that aren't absolutely essential to the plot, then what's the point in even playing a text adventure? You might as well just read a book.

As for useless characters: cleverly used, there's no such thing as a useless character. While every character in the game might not be essential to completing it, you could have them tell the player interesting snippets of information. This won't affect the game in any massive way but it'll certainly add depth and make it more interesting.

One thing I always dislike about there being very few characters in games is that you automatically know that that character has something vital to contribute to the storyline. The reasoning being "there's a character here, why else would he be here if he didn't have anything worthwhile to do?" Sometimes it's fun to throw in characters who just add depth and background to the game without being essential in any way.
davidw

Postby Matt (Dark Baron) » Thu Aug 22, 2002 7:13 pm

Being able to throw characters about, throw them in swimming pools...
Matt (Dark Baron)

Postby MileOut » Fri Aug 23, 2002 11:05 am

Yeah, Barrymore them!
MileOut

Postby TheDataHacker » Sat Aug 24, 2002 6:23 am

I like what was said about characters - if you know how to make a character, there are no useless ones. They make the world more believeable and involved, even if they are cheap characters. In real life, there's lots and lots of cheap useless people who don't contribute in any way. why be different in a game?
i like a world that i don't have to look under every rock if i want to cut to the climax, but all the easter eggs are there in case i feel like exploring some odd thing i find interesting in the game. It's really little more than probing the imagination of the writer, which is lots of fun unless the writer has no imagination.
"Somebody set us up the bomb."

"Who you callin scruffy lookin?"
TheDataHacker

Postby theleaf » Sat Aug 24, 2002 9:59 am

Matt (Dark Baron) wrote:Hang on, I realise I have yet to play a text adventure with a real plot as such.

My Deastopolis had a (Well, I thought anyway. Especially seeing as it took me about a week to think up) different and interesting plot. It wasn't comedy or RPG. There were things that you could do that weren't neccessary but did effect things in the world...Or city I should say. You could roam around but every 'room' (As in Adrift room) would be of importance sometime or somewhere so there were no useless rooms. Like in Legend of Gul Darak and Phobos. But, alas, I need v4.0 to carry on with it, unless it will remain a simple 10 room demo like thing.

*Wishes he had enough money to register adrift*
"Bye!"

"Seeya!"

"Thanks for the mint."
theleaf

Postby nick » Sat Aug 24, 2002 12:34 pm

Yes, the character thing is something I've done with Grand Journey (I'm still calling it that for the time being). It's a part of the game where I was going to make the player find particular objects, but instead I created characters for this job instead. A plus side is that they've each got their own personalities, and can be spoken to whenever the player feels the need. Although they say the same thing until a particular plot-changing task has been undertaken.

Come the end of September, I'll be able to devote more time to getting this completed.
As for the world in which this game is set, in the first half of the adventure, your movements are pretty much railroaded, but after a good 10-15 minutes of solid gameplay, you'll find you reach the part of the game that I decided to make the map somewhat more expansive and explorable.
I have a demo on the downloads page, but that is for v3.9.
I'm contemplating uploading the enhanced v4.0 demo of the same game, which is somewhat more completed.
-Nick
http://members.optushome.com.au/neptune7/index.html
A must read:
The Bitterbynde Trilogy by
Cecilia Dart-Thornton
nick

Postby T. Mulkerrins » Mon Sep 02, 2002 6:06 pm

TheDataHacker wrote:In real life, there's lots and lots of cheap useless people who don't contribute in any way.
Adrifters for example :0
I h8 ppl wh0 th1nk thyr3 l33t. H4x0r n00bs.
T. Mulkerrins

Postby Mystery » Mon Sep 02, 2002 6:39 pm

:0 Speak for yourself :0
~Myst~
Mystery

Postby J. J. Guest » Mon Sep 02, 2002 11:39 pm

Generally I dislike having too many objects and rooms that have nothing to do with the objective of the game. I've tried (in my one game!) to think of the game the way a filmmaker thinks; ie what is the point of the scene, and get this across before adding anything superfluous or distracting. But of course adventures have their own rules, they're not films and neither are they like novels. There's something of both worlds about them, but they're a different animal.
In Progress: Alias "The Magpie", The Numberless Knots of Fohat

Visit my website:
http://www.jjguest.com
for Escape from the Crazy Place and The Visitation
J. J. Guest

Postby J. J. Guest » Mon Sep 02, 2002 11:44 pm

Having said that, one of my favourite games when I was a kid was Twin Kingdom Valley. I'm not even sure if that game even had an objective - it was all wandering around.

I found a website somewhere by some guy whose aim in life is to recreate that game with beautiful computer graphics.
In Progress: Alias "The Magpie", The Numberless Knots of Fohat

Visit my website:
http://www.jjguest.com
for Escape from the Crazy Place and The Visitation
J. J. Guest

Postby TheDataHacker » Tue Sep 03, 2002 1:49 am

IS that game still available anywhere?
One of the things I do is collect old video games i used to own, and some i didn't. I have hundreds. (not quite thousands yet)
"Somebody set us up the bomb."

"Who you callin scruffy lookin?"
TheDataHacker

Postby davidw » Tue Sep 03, 2002 6:03 pm

You can download Twin Kingdom Valley at:

http://www.worldofspectrum.org/
davidw

Next

Return to General IF