ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Comedy - Influences and Favorites

The place to chat about ideas, writing, this forum, or anything related to Interactive Fiction that isn't specific to ADRIFT.

Please also visit the Interactive Fiction Community Forum for further discussions.

Postby Mystery » Tue Sep 10, 2002 7:20 pm

What type of comedy influences you the most and for what reason? And who are some of your favorites? Write a short piece implementing your favorite style of comedy.
~Myst~
Mystery

Postby ds490 » Tue Sep 10, 2002 8:01 pm

I am inspired by many forms of comedy, from stand ups to sketch groups to movie stars. My main influences include but are not limited to: Jim Carrey, Mike Meyers, The Kids In The Hall (Kevin McDonald, Scott Thompson, Bruse McCullogh, Mark McKinney and David Foley), Monty Python (just getting into the show), Weird Al Yankovic (listen to "Albuquerque"), Adam Sandler, Dennis Leary, Rowan Atkinson (mainly Black Adder, Mr Been is truely offensive), John Wing, Mike McDonald...most comedy influences me somewhat. Most of the comedy I ever do is in writing or in discussion, but I put a lot of energy into being funny.
When I write comedy I like to write about something funny in a serious way, such as my "Santa is a slave driving bastard" (working title). Or, I like to make the story completely serious with a single twist or punchline at the end, such as "Death Row"- that only works if the story is short.
I would write something now, but I'm a little tired. I'll probably write something later.
[/mybeef]
~ ds490
ds490

Postby Mut » Wed Sep 11, 2002 12:57 am

Hmmm ... comedic influences? Well, I could name a whole bunch of people, but I'd have to say that my main influence is George Carlin. Love how he blends comedy, politics, and a genuine disrespect for the government into one big satisfying stand-up routine.

Following in Ds's footsteps, I'm going to have to wait a little while to write a piece for this. I've been feeling a bit under the weather recently (think it's just a cold), but I'll do it eventually.

Oh, yes, and I'm not sure if anyone cares, but I've been working on a new story to post. This one is a bit different from all my others because (1)it's not all being written at one time, and (2)it's getting REALLY REALLY LONG! I was actually thinking of posting it in "chapters", but the fact that it may still be subject to change has held me back.
R.I.P. Hunter S. Thompson (1937-2005)
Mut

Postby The Mad Monk » Wed Sep 11, 2002 1:34 am

Hmm... big question...

I love George Carlin (in fact, I'm reading one of his books right now as I post!), and Mike Myers is quite funny. Anyone remember the old "Sprockets" sketches he did on SNL?

I'm probably still the only one who reads him, but Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw is also a big influence on me. He's an amateur British comedy writer whose works you can catch at yahtzee.keenspace, his web-comic, and Fully Ramblomatic, his main site. God, he's funny.

[/total bollocks talk]
In related news, Kenneth Ham reveals that he knows precisely squat about fossils. Film at eleven.

That's Poodle's lovely avatar up there...
The Mad Monk

Postby The Invisible Man » Thu Sep 12, 2002 3:59 pm

My main comedic influences are Robert Benchley and James Thurber --the truth, exaggerrated, is funny.

Thurber admitted he stole everything from Benchley, who admitted he'd stolen everything from Stephen Leacock. (I guess comedy writing is kind of like rock music) Unfortunately, my own days of stealing from Benchley ended when I realized that Dave Barry was stealing from him. (Has he admitted it, I wonder?) I didn't want people to think I was stealing stuff from Dave Barry so I stopped lifting Benchley's devices. Honestly, Dave Barry sounds just like Robert Benchley.
TIM

"I have forced myself to contradict myself in order to avoid conforming to my own taste." -- Marcel Duchamp
The Invisible Man

Return to General IF