ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Fighting Fantasy: Bloodbones

The place to chat about ideas, writing, this forum, or anything related to Interactive Fiction that isn't specific to ADRIFT.

Please also visit the Interactive Fiction Community Forum for further discussions.

Postby David Whyld » Mon Sep 04, 2006 12:53 pm

Not really interactive fiction in the normal format (but it's fiction and it's interactive so it still counts ;) ), but the new Fighting Fantasy gamebook, Bloodbones, has finally put in an appearance.

It was originally supposed to be the final book in the first Fighting Fantasy series and tipped for release in 1996, but then the series had been floundering for years (no big surprise given the quality of the later books IMHO) and Bloodbones got cancelled. Ten years later, it's finally been published.

Anyone here read it/planning to read it/thinking about it but undecided at the moment?
David Whyld

Postby revgiblet » Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:15 am

I would love to read it for old time's sake, but don't intend to buy it.
"He who lives only to benefit himself confers on the world a benefit when he dies."

Tertullian

In Progress:- Watch This Space...
revgiblet

Postby David Whyld » Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:01 am

You aren't missing much. It's pretty dire.
David Whyld

Postby revgiblet » Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:35 am

I agree with you in that the earlier ones were better. What makes this one so bad?
"He who lives only to benefit himself confers on the world a benefit when he dies."

Tertullian

revgiblet

Postby David Whyld » Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:52 am

It’s just bog standard FF fare for the most part. Not very well written, uses the same ideas that have been used so many times in previous books that it sometimes feels like you're just rereading an old one. It’s got enemies jumping out at you every few sections for more generic combat. No real pacing or tension. It’s also possible to stuff up the book partway through if you don’t buy an item earlier on, though at the time there's no reason to assume you'd ever need that item. All in all, it’s a big disappointment. Considering it’s been lying around some editor’s office for the past ten years, you'd have thought they'd have gone and at least improved it a bit in that time. But no, it’s bad. Just plain bad. Buy it only if you're an obsessive fan of the series and can’t bear to have a title missing in your collection; don’t buy it if you expect a decent read.
David Whyld

Postby revgiblet » Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:54 pm

I always enjoyed the more imaginative ones. 'Appointment with F.E.A.R.', 'Talisman of Death', 'Robot Commando' (Dinosaurs and mechs in one book! Inspired!), 'City of Thieves' and so on.

Tertullian

revgiblet

Postby MrToad » Tue Sep 05, 2006 4:19 pm

David Whyld wrote:It was originally supposed to be the final book in the first Fighting Fantasy series and tipped for release in 1996, but then the series had been floundering for years (no big surprise given the quality of the later books IMHO)

And I thought it was me just growing up.
Its good to know the later books were just plain bad. 8)
.........It seemed like a good idea at the time!!
MrToad

Postby MrToad » Tue Sep 05, 2006 4:21 pm

revgiblet wrote:'City of Thieves'

What a book!!!

Even the bit were you get to play a game with some creatures called 'Bays'. Which basically involves hitting a ball with a stick and it was called BaysBall........*sign*.....what a book! :)
.........It seemed like a good idea at the time!!
MrToad

Postby David Whyld » Tue Sep 05, 2006 5:58 pm

I could never stand City Of Thieves. Then again, it was an Ian Livingstone book so it probably went without saying that it wouldn't be up to much.
David Whyld

Postby revgiblet » Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:18 am

David Whyld wrote:I could never stand City Of Thieves. Then again, it was an Ian Livingstone book so it probably went without saying that it wouldn't be up to much.

I think I actually preferred the Ian Livingstone ones to Steve Jackson's at first. I think that 'Talisman of Death' (which was number 11 or 12) was the first to be written by 'outside' authors.

The opening of my game 'The Sisters' is a tribute to the opening of 'House of Hell' by the way...

Tertullian

revgiblet

Postby David Whyld » Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:14 am

Actually Scorpion Swamp, book 8, was written by the other Steve Jackson (the guy behind the GURPs role playing game) and not the Steve Jackson who co-founded the series.
David Whyld

Postby revgiblet » Wed Sep 06, 2006 1:07 pm

David Whyld wrote:Actually Scorpion Swamp, book 8, was written by the other Steve Jackson (the guy behind the GURPs role playing game) and not the Steve Jackson who co-founded the series.

Hey, well you learn something new every day. I always thought the GURPS Steve Jackson was the same as the FF one. :blush:

Tertullian

revgiblet

Return to General IF