ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Terry Pratchett - The OFFICIAL Thread

The place to chat about ideas, writing, this forum, or anything related to Interactive Fiction that isn't specific to ADRIFT.

Please also visit the Interactive Fiction Community Forum for further discussions.

Terry Pratchett - The OFFICIAL Thread

Terry Pratchett? Me Like!
42%
Terry Pratchett? Me No Like!
8%
Terry Pratchett? He's OK I guess.
29%
Terry who now?
21%

Total votes : 24

Postby revgiblet » Thu Nov 09, 2006 3:52 pm

Ah, in that case I think it was Johnny and the Bomb. I didn't watch it either. I haven't read all of his children's novels.

On a related note, I've not read The Amazing Maurice and his Educated Rodents, Wee Free Men, A Hat Full of Sky or Wintersmith (although I notice that Wintersmith got a chapter in the paperback version of Thud!). Is there much difference between those and his standard Discworld novel? They're kept separate in the book list but I've never been sure why.
"He who lives only to benefit himself confers on the world a benefit when he dies."

Tertullian

In Progress:- Watch This Space...
revgiblet

Postby djchallis » Thu Nov 09, 2006 3:55 pm

i've read a few pratchett books and sometimes i love them and sometimes i hate them.
i almost always dislike people quoting from them, because whilst the books are usually funny, the quotes aren't.

on the subject of mr.vimes, i always liked his books, so i don't mind if pratchett wants to work on him a bit more
my faves were feet of clay, the truth and going postal, which i need to finish one day...

my favourite discworld experience of all time is of course the original discworld PC game.
it follows the old point-and-click formula, and i EXTREMELY heavy on the voice-acting. if you don't like pratchett you'll get bored, but if you do, you'll just sit and listen all day.
rincewind played by eric idle, support from tony robinson and rob brydon.
Game in the works - Project Clocks - on hold for a bit.
Game finished - I am the Law for the OddComp. Looking forward to finishing Clocks so I can show what I can really do!
Current focus - Some microIF. Short experiments to test ideas and actually release something!
djchallis

Postby David Whyld » Thu Nov 09, 2006 4:00 pm

revgiblet wrote:On a related note, I've not read The Amazing Maurice and his Educated Rodents, Wee Free Men, A Hat Full of Sky or Wintersmith (although I notice that Wintersmith got a chapter in the paperback version of Thud!). Is there much difference between those and his standard Discworld novel? They're kept separate in the book list but I've never been sure why.

I think they're aimed at younger people but they're essentially the same kind of novels as the regular Discworld ones. I wasn't too keen on The Amazing Maurice & His Educated Rodents but The Wee Free Men and A Hat Full Of Sky were good. Not got round to reading Wintersmith yet.
David Whyld

Postby David Whyld » Thu Nov 09, 2006 4:04 pm

djchallis wrote:my favourite discworld experience of all time is of course the original discworld PC game.
it follows the old point-and-click formula, and i EXTREMELY heavy on the voice-acting. if you don't like pratchett you'll get bored, but if you do, you'll just sit and listen all day.
rincewind played by eric idle, support from tony robinson and rob brydon.

I've got Discworld Noir which is the last of the Discworld novels point 'n' click games. Damn funny, but I kept running into problems with getting it to run properly. Sometimes it would work fine, other times it would corrupt my saved games positions. Sometimes it would crash whenever I tried to reload a saved game. After much struggling with it for a while and replaying the first part of the game a dozen times, I just had to give up on it.

The Colour Of Magic was made into a text adventure back in the 80's. I remember playing it on the Spectrum.

Edited By David Whyld on 1163088335
David Whyld

Postby djchallis » Thu Nov 09, 2006 4:12 pm

after making discworld 1 and 2 for the PC, they then made noir
i never played it, but was told it's completely different to the first two, and is a lot more dark in atmosphere
Game in the works - Project Clocks - on hold for a bit.
Game finished - I am the Law for the OddComp. Looking forward to finishing Clocks so I can show what I can really do!
Current focus - Some microIF. Short experiments to test ideas and actually release something!
djchallis

Postby revgiblet » Thu Nov 09, 2006 4:17 pm

David Whyld wrote:The Colour Of Magic was made into a text adventure back in the 80's. I remember playing it on the Spectrum.

I found that game really hard to get in to simply due to the fact that it had Discworlded directions. I want to type N,S,E or W and not mess about with hubwise and widdershins and all that.

I've played Discworld 2 and it's kind of fun seeing how they've amalgamated several different books in to one adventure.

Edited By revgiblet on 1163089217
"He who lives only to benefit himself confers on the world a benefit when he dies."

Tertullian

In Progress:- Watch This Space...
revgiblet

Postby David Whyld » Thu Nov 09, 2006 6:38 pm

Yes, The Colour Of Magic was a pain as a text adventure because of the directions. I suppose it seemed like a neat idea at the time having the directions not use the standard N, S, E, W but the Discworld variants, but it was annoying at the same time.
David Whyld

Postby Sprite » Sat Nov 18, 2006 6:21 pm

I find that TP's been back on form lately. He had me worried with Monstrous Regiment, but Thud is exactly what I'm looking for... my favourite is still Night Watch, and Sam Vimes is still my favourite character. I love that he's been given so much depth and development, but perhaps he should be put on the bench for now...

It might be time to bring Rincewind back, but only if his character is developed. I don't want to read him running away from something else.

The Discworld PC games are awesome, esp. Discworld noir! As games they may suck, but I love the atmosphere.
Do you know who I am?!

I've forgotten...
Sprite

Postby ralphmerridew » Sat Nov 18, 2006 7:14 pm

I've read a handful (Color of Magic, Mort, Only You Can Save Mankind, Johnny & the Dead, Good Omens), found him enjoyable in isolated passages, but never warmed to the books as a whole.
Bloodhounds can make you laugh and cuss in the same breath. They are endearing, faithful, and can sling drool ten feet in any direction. -- Virginia Lanier
ralphmerridew

Postby The Bold Slasher » Sat Nov 18, 2006 7:55 pm

I've found that Pratchett's new books are great. I'd rather read Going Postal than most of the middle books.
USS Dumpling 0 KB (Now an I7 game because of a hard drive crash.)

Proud Owner of Sprite's Sticker for Specialness
The Bold Slasher

Postby Sprite » Sun Nov 19, 2006 10:37 pm

The problem I have is that it's getting harder to warm to new characters. Going Postal, The Truth, and Monstrous Regiment all introduced a new main character. I prefer the books with more developed characters.

Of course having said that, when you go back to the early books you realise just how two-dimensional they were. I guess if anyone likes a new character enough TP might flesh them out a bit in subsequent books.
Do you know who I am?!

I've forgotten...
Sprite

Postby David Whyld » Sun Nov 19, 2006 10:43 pm

I actually prefer it when he has new main characters. Adds a bit of freshness to the series.

I actually groaned when I started reading Thud! because it was another Vimes novel. While I like Vimes as a character, he's been the main character of so many novels now that I just wish he'd get himself murdered or something so we wouldn't have to see him again. If we're going to have another City Watch novel, why not put Colon or Nobby in the lead for a change?
David Whyld

Postby Sprite » Sun Nov 19, 2006 11:02 pm

It's interesting which characters can carry a book and which can't. Carrot, the Good Man, was a fascinating premise but was just too darn honorable to be ineresting - until the end of Night Watch. There's a darker side there that's still unexplored. I'd like to see where that'll go. Colon and Nobby are a little too simple to be anything other than 'supporting cast', as I see it; and their characters are too rigidly defined to have anything added. Of course, I could be wrong; TP's surprised me before now.
Do you know who I am?!

I've forgotten...
Sprite

Postby wrrlykam » Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:45 pm

Can't beat the Librarian. Just hide the bananas.

Small Gods was the last one I read.
wrrlykam

Previous

Return to General IF