ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

December Writing Challenge

The place to chat about ideas, writing, this forum, or anything related to Interactive Fiction that isn't specific to ADRIFT.

Please also visit the Interactive Fiction Community Forum for further discussions.

Postby David Whyld » Sat Dec 02, 2006 6:06 pm

Kicking off a day late (clearly not my fault for forgetting but everyone else for not reminding me :) ), here's the December Writing Challenge.

This is what you need to make a decent room description out of (thanks to NickyDude for PMing me this last month):

Contains: Bars, bucket, bunk bed, hollow bed leg, empty toilet roll, chess board

You have until 31st december to come up with the room description. Best of luck!
##################################

In progress: Shadows of the Mind 72k and counting. ETA: sometime in 2018.

David Whyld

Postby Chenshaw » Sun Dec 03, 2006 12:23 am

Contains: Bars, bucket, bunk bed, hollow bed leg, empty toilet roll, chess board

Prison cell B52
What seems to have happened here couldn't possibly have happened - could it? The 8 x 5 foot cell is littered with the broken prison furniture and possessions of the previous occupant. The spilled contents of an upturned bucket fills the room with an intolerable stench. The canvas bunk is ripped, the aluminium frame twisted and buckled, one of the hollow legs pointing upward. Inexplicably, the solid-steel bars of the window have been bent sideways, one of which is encased with an empty toilet roll. Tiny scraps of paper remaine stuck to it, flapping in the breeze and causing the cardboard to spin. You cannot even fit your head through the bars, yet, looking down at the prison yard, five stories below, you can just make out a pile of single-ply directly below the window.

You are also having difficulty imagining how pieces of a plastic chessboard, flimsy shards of black and white, came to be embedded in the concrete walls, and why the chess pieces are lined up in order of importance along the window ledge.

Edited By Chenshaw on 1165105540
Beware, leonine fire dragon on the loose...
Chenshaw

Postby Mirrorman » Sun Dec 03, 2006 2:18 pm

You are in a prison cell with a sturdy iron door that leads east. The entire cell is spotless and looks as though it hasn't been occupied in some time. A bare metal bunk leans against one wall, one of its hollow metal legs is bent at a strange angle as though it has been dragged carelessly across the flagstone floor. The floor itself is marked into black and white squares and chess pieces made from papier-mâché are lined up in their starting positions. The black pieces seem to be coloured with soot. A well scrubbed metal bucket is next to the door and next to that is an empty toilet roll standing on its end. Opposite the door is a window with three metal bars. From it you can see the desert and in the far distance the faint shimmer of the sea.
Not quite as finished as I thought...Insomnia!
Mirrorman

Postby David Whyld » Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:20 pm

PRISON
From the bars on the windows to the bucket containing severed heads by the bunk bed, this was the grimmest cell by far that Peregrine T. Crabapple had ever set foot in. The chess board had at first seemed a nice touch, but as it lacked pieces its overall use was somewhat limited.

There was an empty toilet roll on a shelf by a door; its purpose a little hard to fathon but Peregrine believed it to be there to give occupants of the cell something to look at. Properly studied, an empty toilet roll on a shelf by a door could provide prisoners with countless hours of entertainment.

Other than that, there was the hollow bed leg. Its position - nailed to the wall just above the bunk bed - indicated something that was no doubt worth indicating, but Peregrine himself was at a loss to say just what.

Of exits there were many. Alas, they all ended up running into one of the many rather ordinary stone walls that comprised the general layout of the cell, so if Peregrine wished to move elsewhere he would be well advised to escape. And quickly.

In progress: Shadows of the Mind 72k and counting. ETA: sometime in 2018.

David Whyld

Postby NickyDude » Sun Jan 07, 2007 8:33 pm

Prison Cell
The prison bars bare the many marks of sawing and hacking, looks like the previous inmates didn't get out that way! The bed seems to be nothing more than a large plank of wood with a cloth thrown over it, the bottom bunk being the same. Looking around, the tiled floor has smears of some kind on it but you don't want to check too closely, no doubt the remains of whatever was in the slop bucket, the empty toilet roll makes you wonder if fingers were used!

A folded up chess board is under the pillow of the bottom bunk, but where are the chess pieces? Possibly with some other inmate as you assume fights broke out who had the chess set next. The top of one of the bed posts seems to have been removed and something stuffed inside, which-you-can't-quite-reach...

* Yes I know it's late but I thought I'd have a shot.

Edited By NickyDude on 1168202073
ImageI reject your reality and substitute my own...
NickyDude

Postby J. J. Guest » Sat Jan 13, 2007 5:42 pm

Is there going to be a January writing challenge?
In Progress: Alias "The Magpie", The Numberless Knots of Fohat

Visit my website:
http://www.jjguest.com
for Escape from the Crazy Place and The Visitation
J. J. Guest

Return to General IF