ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

January Writing Challenge

The place to chat about ideas, writing, this forum, or anything related to Interactive Fiction that isn't specific to ADRIFT.

Please also visit the Interactive Fiction Community Forum for further discussions.

Postby NickyDude » Sat Jan 13, 2007 6:04 pm

As it's nearly the middle of January and as yet there is no challenge from David, I thought I'd do one to fill the gap You have until Feb 1st (short, I know ;):

Contains Large Bulb, oilskin coat, crowbar, flask, wires, motor, blood.

Good luck.

Edited By NickyDude on 1168711541
ImageI reject your reality and substitute my own...
NickyDude

Postby David Whyld » Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:58 am

Top of Lighthouse
Even without the dead body lying on the floor in the oilskin coat, it is clear something terrible has occurred here. The acrid smell of blood blocks out all other smells, causing you to gasp.

The room at the top of the lighthouse is dimly lit, a single large bulb swinging back and forth from the ceiling and stirred by the light breeze producing the only illuminating. Shadows dart back and forth beneath the bulb’s glow, revealing, and then immediately concealing, a crowbar lying on the floor by a mass of tangled wires. The wires are connected to the motor which powers the lighthouse main light, in the room just above this one, but no sounds issue from the motor and no light issues from above. A quick examination shows the side has been caved in, perhaps with the crowbar you see lying by the dead body.

A flask, once containing an alcoholic beverage of some kind but now empty, has been placed atop the motor. You cannot help but notice that its placing seems somehow… staged, though for what purpose you cannot say.
David Whyld

Postby revgiblet » Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:40 am

You are standing on top of a lighthouse. Don't lose your footing! The wind is constantly driving you towards the edge, threatening to tip you over the side and shatter your fragile body on the rocks below. However, on the plus side, you are getting a wonderful view of the turbulent ocean and dark, stormy sky.

It's quite cluttered up here. An oilskin coat has been spread out on the floor, weighted down by a large motor (seemingly ripped from a machine of some sort) and a crowbar. An open, steaming thermos flask appears to be wired to the motor. It smells like coffee. There is blood splattered all over the oilskin coat, and rolling about in the wind you see a large bulb (possibly a tulip).

If you didn't know better you'd suspect that someone's been using Professor Headlington-Smythe's plans to build a time machine up here - either that or having the world's strangest picnic.

Edited By revgiblet on 1168861291
"He who lives only to benefit himself confers on the world a benefit when he dies."

Tertullian

In Progress:- Watch This Space...
revgiblet

Postby Shuarian » Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:24 pm

Oh well, it's been ages since I last wrote anything for the Writing Challenge. I feel old, but as promised, here's my try:

Top of Lighthouse

The waste and salty land around the lighthouse continues for miles. In contrast to the wide land, the top of the lighthouse is quite small. Its centre is overseen by a large bulb, connected by rusty wires to an engine whose motor is a clear product of the Soviet era - bleak, ugly, but solid and still running.

That this light bulb, once a promise of hope to homecoming ships and fishers, still shines years after the demise of water from this part of the Aral Sea gives a taunting impression. In fact, everything in this long abandoned lighthouse seems absurd, as if still waiting for some lost souls to take on the worn-out oilskin coat and the empty flask, which are both lying carelessly on the floor.

Instead, to the north where steep stairways are leading down, arid and black blood is covering the walls and floor. The rusty crowbar nearby surely wasn't used for fishing.

Note: Big kudos to Chenshaw for the inspiration :-)

Edited By Shuarian on 1168896381
Shuarian

Postby Wilson » Sat Jan 20, 2007 9:59 pm

I'm new to these forums (and ADRIFT adventure making), and I thought I'd give this writing competition a go.

Top of Lighthouse (Interior)

The top of the lighthouse is mostly clean and neat. An oilskin coat hangs on a hook next to the exterior door, and you can see a thermos flask sticking out of one of the pockets. The motor hums as it turns the large bulb around in endless circles. A bundle of wires link the motor to a power box on the wall.
Outside the rain pelts the glass, while the wind howls and rocks the exterior gantryway. However, it's still fairly warm inside the tower itself.
Disturbingly, blood has been smeared over the bulb, giving the light a red tinge. You can just make out a crowbar in the shadows underneath the bulb, and what might be a pool of blood.
Wilson

Postby MrToad » Mon Jan 22, 2007 6:03 pm

Its been a while and I might be slightly rusty but here goes:

Top of the Lighthouse:

From here you can see an endless battle between nature and man as dark waves crash against the faded white brickwork of the lighthouse. The room in which you stand is in almost total darkness, no light shines from the useless large bulb which although still spins doesn’t retain its primary function. Luckily the moon is full and the glow from it casts the room in a sterile light.

A discarded oilskin coat lays rather forlorn on the stone ground trying to cover up an ominous pool of blood, which ripples in the chill breeze running through the lighthouse. Within arms reach is a rusty crowbar balanced on top of a small motor which seems battered and lifeless, the wires hanging loosely from the casing adds weight to this theory. Next to the motor is a stainless steel thermos flask, steam rises from its open lid. Somebody was here recently.

Bloody footprints lead north. A dark staircase leads down.
.........It seemed like a good idea at the time!!
MrToad

Postby NickyDude » Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:54 pm

This challenge is over, voting coming soon.
ImageI reject your reality and substitute my own...
NickyDude

Return to General IF