ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

April Writing Challenge - The Results

The place to chat about ideas, writing, this forum, or anything related to Interactive Fiction that isn't specific to ADRIFT.

Please also visit the Interactive Fiction Community Forum for further discussions.

Postby David Whyld » Sun May 20, 2007 9:08 am

And the challenge is over. 7 people participated in the challenge - which is good - but only 8 people participated in the voting - which isn't so good. Still, thanks to everyone who took part, either writing or voting, and here are the results:

Due to the poor voting turnout, 1st prize has to be split between 3 entries so you each get a 33.3% (recurring) share of the prize:

Joint 1st place: Chenshaw
Prehistoric River Bed
It once held a mighty river, perhaps carved by the melt from the last ice age, but now the shallow depression is barely noticable and only a sluggish stream glides along a narrow trench near the centre. Along the edges, muddy pools here and there are rimmed with the foaming evidence of acidic rain. A large scaly creature laps tentatively at one of the pools, not heeding the bleached bones lying just next to it, or the toxic fungal growths which stretch from pool to pool like some kind of web, or net. A petrified trunk from some prehistoric tree lies at an angle against the former river bank - hollowed out in its organic years by starving herbivors and resembling a wrecked dugout canoe.

Joint 1st place: Icehammer
The Trios River was once the mightiest in this slice of the world, but you wouldn't know it from this dried-out riverbed. The bed is littered with splinters and planks from decades-old wrecks, ravaged bits of equipment, and bones of long-dead sailors. You even spot a torn fragment of net under one plank.

Something is very wrong here. Unearthly, poisonous-looking blue and green fungus covers the bed and cloudy puddles of something are scattered everywhere. Several strange creatures, like bears with mottled green skin, have set up a den in a semi-intact hulk just down the river. One of them growls as you approach.

Joint 1st place: lyteside
You are in the Northern River Bed.
As the river bed narrows, the water becomes shallow and easier to traverse. Remnants of other unfortunate adventurers are riddled throughout the water bank; their stark white bones serve as a sobering testament to Venibus' brutal longevity. A shipwrecked boat, wrapped in barnacles and fungi, is blocking your way to the north entrance. Standing defiantly atop the wreckage is a goblin, pointing a spear at you and grunting indiscernable drivel. He is unhappy. Flowing out of the ship is a dark-colored liquid. The filmy substance fails to mix with the water, and it branches towards you. A long, wayward tree branch hangs over you at the east side. You can see a net tangled up in the branch, carrying a stick of dynamite. There is a skull here, protruding from the water's surface.

You can go south.
##################################

In progress: Shadows of the Mind 72k and counting. ETA: sometime in 2018.

David Whyld

Postby NickyDude » Sun May 20, 2007 2:18 pm

Well done to all concerned and as there is a joint 1st place, I will create the June challenge (as per rules :p ) as Lumin has created the May challenge.

Edited By NickyDude on 1179670737
ImageI reject your reality and substitute my own...
NickyDude

Postby IceHammer » Sun May 20, 2007 4:59 pm

Hmph. Should've voted for myself :D

And, uhh... what exactly *is* the prize?
"If I ever do a game about a knight in shiny pants getting a magic sword to slay the dragon and rescue the princess, shoot me. If I throw in a bunch of sexy Drow, shoot me twice." --Stefan Gagne
IceHammer

Postby David Whyld » Sun May 20, 2007 5:39 pm

The prize? Well, a 33.3333333333333333% victory over everyone else, that's what. Get crowing!

David Whyld

Postby ksb » Sun May 20, 2007 6:55 pm

Maybe each winner could choose 3 objects for the next competition and then David could choose the location for the next competition based on those 9 submited objects?

Might be quite an interesting challenge if the three winners are thinking of very different genres.

:ooh:
ksb

Postby IceHammer » Mon May 21, 2007 12:57 pm

Hmm.... Starfighter, cheerleader's outfit, magical tome, mechanic's tools, dragon, force field, can of mace, real mace, fruit salad.

Like that, ksb?
"If I ever do a game about a knight in shiny pants getting a magic sword to slay the dragon and rescue the princess, shoot me. If I throw in a bunch of sexy Drow, shoot me twice." --Stefan Gagne
IceHammer

Postby David Whyld » Mon May 21, 2007 1:46 pm

Maybe each winner could choose "*3*" objects

Icehammer:
Hmm.... Starfighter, cheerleader's outfit, magical tome, mechanic's tools, dragon, force field, can of mace, real mace, fruit salad.

I think IceHammer shows his grasp of the number 3 very well there :)

Edited By David Whyld on 1179755238

David Whyld

Postby IceHammer » Tue May 22, 2007 1:15 am

I was attempting to demonstrate what it would look like, which three people each having a theme for their three objects.
IceHammer

Postby NickyDude » Tue May 22, 2007 8:44 am

It's certainly an interesting idea, but...

As IceHammer pointed out, you'll get a mish-mash of objects that don't really fit into a particular game, it'll just end up a collection of weird and wonderful objects plonked in a room. Perhaps instead then there can be another poll to vote, out of the three winners, who should do the next challenge. Or is that to many polls?
NickyDude

Postby Shuarian » Tue May 22, 2007 7:25 pm

NickyDude wrote:As IceHammer pointed out, you'll get a mish-mash of objects that don't really fit into a particular game, it'll just end up a collection of weird and wonderful objects plonked in a room.

Hey, that's how I tried to do every challenge I made! =:->

Anyway, I'm not sure if a run-off poll adds anything to the challenge, apart from more time and effort. Just my 2 cents.
Shuarian

Postby NickyDude » Thu May 31, 2007 11:17 pm

Ok then, I'll set the next challenge (ahh.. the good ol' days.. :) )
NickyDude

Return to General IF