ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

August Writing Challenge - My turn at the helm.

The place to chat about ideas, writing, this forum, or anything related to Interactive Fiction that isn't specific to ADRIFT.

Please also visit the Interactive Fiction Community Forum for further discussions.

Postby MrPetrov » Wed Aug 01, 2007 6:58 pm

I am proud to provide you with this, your August writing competition. You have, of course, until September 1st. The moderator will handle the rest. Please remember to format your entries as room descriptions and not as irregular chunks of story. I also remind you that you are not specifically limited to the contents listed below. Creativity and completeness wins you respect, if not votes. You are free to treat the potentially live characters below as static objects, thus allowing you the freedom of greater detail.

Contents: Bales of Hay, Iron Cage, Manure Pile, Circus Poster, Mangled Folding Chair, Ash Tray, Wanda the World's Fattest Bearded Lady, Henry "Fish Boy" Adams, and a Hobo Clown (sleeping).

It is my understanding that the winner chooses the challenge. If I am posting in error, please delete this immediately. If not, then get cracking.

Bonus: Make this challenge into a one-room puzzle. More easily said than done, eh?

Edited By NickyDude on 1186007199
I am alive.

Currently working on:
*WIP XXIV (part III) "The Best Game In the World"*
*WIP XXV "Except For This One"*
*WIP XXVI "A Really Good Idea That Went Nowhere"*
MrPetrov

Postby NickyDude » Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:28 pm

This challenge should separate the wheat from the chaff!
ImageI reject your reality and substitute my own...
NickyDude

Postby brain in jar » Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:23 am

(Takes tumbleweed off head)

You get back your hearing first, and a hazed cacophony of murmuring crowds and disgusted banter slakes with your shaky mind. As you finally regain the rest of your long lost senses, the stinging aroma of chloroform dissipates from your lips and bloodied nostrils into a mustier, dirtier smell, accompanied by a discomforting gaze of stripy, blurred light, which burns your eyes. You're either dreaming or you're in a...

Sideshow Cage

You're all alone in this cage. Just why you're in a cage is a good question, but for now, you're out of sight. The hay which lines your present space is spotted with mold, so standing isn't a good idea, yet. You're presented in front of you a metal folding chair, not for sitting, it would seem, but as a prop to demonstrate how fierce the freak inside the cage is as it is crunched up beyond use for sane people. There is also a handful of horse manure in the corner, slung in from the stables close by. Peering outside, there is one other cage next to yours. Sat on a stool inside it is the Fish Boy, Henry, battling to read a newspaper while dodging oncoming peanuts from the roustabouts so they don't land in his round eyes. Some old clown with a ragged costume lays outside the manager's room, asleep, or unconscious or dead (or all three in the course of the night). His jolly makeup hides a forlorn, drunk look always aware of a present of angry children and cynical adults. Further away, a huge woman with a rough beard sits at a vanity table trying to pull a lollipop off her face and occasionally tapping a cigarette over an ashtray on the table. A poster is on the ground, with a picture on it scarcely looking like yourself and with the words on it reading, “Chin Chang: The Panda Man!”

At present, the cage around you thwarts any exits.

Where did that come from? :O

Edit:
Yeah, when is the voting for July's challenge?

Edited By brain in jar on 1187345449
Thanks, Bondo!

Now would be an ideal time for procreation.
brain in jar

Postby MrPetrov » Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:10 pm

Ah, an excellent use of the funny-yet-depressing tone I was hoping for, BIJ. Will you once again be saved at the last instant from victory by forfeiture of the competition? Will we be able to vote on last month's comp? Only time will tell.
I am alive.

Currently working on:
*WIP XXIV (part III) "The Best Game In the World"*
*WIP XXV "Except For This One"*
*WIP XXVI "A Really Good Idea That Went Nowhere"*
MrPetrov

Postby Sprite » Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:58 am

Backstage

You are lying on the ground backstage at the side show, entangled in the remains of a mangled folding chair. To your left, an iron cage - intended for tigers - contains your colleagues, Ollie the Hobo Clown and Big Beardy Wanda. Wanda is attempting with little success to wake Ollie; it looks as if he's got a pretty bad head wound. He's clutching a rolled-up poster.

Sat on some bales of hay to your right, Henry Adams - called Fish Boy because of his dead black eyes - is playing with a throwing knife. This doesn't look good for you.

Just out of reach, a metal ash tray glitters in a heap of elephant dung. You've just got to get out of here alive...
Do you know who I am?!

I've forgotten...
Sprite

Postby Lumin » Sun Oct 07, 2007 11:39 pm

What happened to September, and is there going to be an October? :(
Currently working on: Nada. Zip. Zilch. [Check this space later.]
Lumin

Postby NickyDude » Sun Oct 07, 2007 11:41 pm

I think this is on hold until the forum picks up again but if anyone wants to keep it going then by al means do. :)
ImageI reject your reality and substitute my own...
NickyDude

Return to General IF