ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Matrix story - Storyline parallel to movies

The place to chat about ideas, writing, this forum, or anything related to Interactive Fiction that isn't specific to ADRIFT.

Please also visit the Interactive Fiction Community Forum for further discussions.

Postby clyspe » Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:14 am

I'm a little new to this, so bear with me.
I am writing a ADRIFT where it throws you into the action in the middle of a chase by agents in which the chase ends with... and thats where I'm stuck. I would like a part in the three movies (preferably the first two, the earlier the better) where it involves an agent so you could have a reason to escape safely.

Also, any ideas on a really cool, over the top thing that hasn't been done before in one of the three movies would be nice. I'm planning on this being a huge tale with alternate endings.
clyspe

Postby ElliotM » Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:57 am

Fan games can be fun but you might want to consider the merits of doing something that is entirely your own rather then conforming to someone else's story. Since the Matrix and similiar stories are usually classified as dystopias, you'll probably want to read this to get a better feel for how to write one. A common motif or solution in a Dystopia oriented story is escape but there are other elements that go into one which you'll want to know about. For first time games its usually best to keep things on a smaller scale until you get the hang of how Adrift works and you get a better idea of what goes into a game.

Chase scenes have their limitations in Text Adventures, not that they can't be done, but the player is usually unable to see into other locations and a chase in general can be rather linear. Since you're putting the player into the 'middle of the action', they may not know where to go to escape. To see a game designed around a chase, you'll probably want to checkout Attack of the Yeti Robot Zombies. To heighten the sense of action and to encourage the player to finish it in the first play through the author changed a number of things. Read the reviews to see what other people thought of it.

Since a lot of the action in Matrix involved fighting, you might be thinking of using a combat system. That link has most of the demos and threads I could find that relate to combat systems and such so be sure and look through some of that so you know what you could be getting into. To get npc's to chase the player read up on character movement in the manual. There are some demos on it if you need them.

At any rate, welcome to the forums. :)

Edited By ElliotM on 1205672819
ElliotM

Postby djchallis » Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:02 pm

Welcome to the forum, clyspe!

I'm unsure exactly how to advise you. Part of me is skeptical about the chase scene. Most budding IF-writers (and budding writers of any sort) tend to think of their work as if it were a movie (where chase scenes are brilliant) and not a piece of writing. IF further complicates things by being a game as well. You need gameplay and plots that work in the medium. On the other hand, I'm fully supportive of trying new things and ignoring people who say no to the original concept.

Similarly I'm naturally skeptical of anyone who's planning "a huge tale" but who's only made one forum post. I'm tempted to advise you to avoid getting carried away, but on the other hand that's how experience comes, right?

So in the end I'm supportive but I warn you of likely failure. It's very rare around here that somebody's first game turns out good, and as long as you know that you'll be fine. I look forward to seeing your project more in the future! :)

Come back and post some more though! We're friendly really.
Game in the works - Project Clocks - on hold for a bit.
Game finished - I am the Law for the OddComp. Looking forward to finishing Clocks so I can show what I can really do!
Current focus - Some microIF. Short experiments to test ideas and actually release something!
djchallis

Postby Sprite » Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:54 pm

I don't know. Chase scenes are difficult, but can be done - just see the PK girl to see an adventure where a chase scene works really well. But a whole game with that urgency wouldn't really work, in my opinion.

Anyway. Hi, welcome!
Do you know who I am?!

I've forgotten...
Sprite

Return to General IF