ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

CYOA: Adventures in Arthaga Wood - aka I'm bored and have no life

The place to chat about ideas, writing, this forum, or anything related to Interactive Fiction that isn't specific to ADRIFT.

Please also visit the Interactive Fiction Community Forum for further discussions.

Postby Lumin » Wed May 21, 2008 9:27 pm

Okay boys and girls, listen up! Summer has begun and that means I should have a little more freetime because there are no more major holidays for awhile and leaving the house to buy things causes people to melt. Also I need some little warmup writing exercises and this forum needs more posts, so I've decided to solve all these problems at once by starting my own little CYOA HURRAY!

Now keep in mind this is my CYOA, not yours, you are NOT allowed to add to it* or I will cry, like so: :( (not that you would add to it anyway you lazy so-and-so, I tried to get you guys involved with something like this before and it flopped miserably so there, you lost your chance)

So anyway, I'm going to be doing the posting, and all you guys have to do is read and vote. If you can't even bring yourself to participate this much I will again, :( , and also nag and just generally be passive aggressive and annoying.

*if I disappear for more than two weeks, anyone who wants to has my permission to take over. (not that anyone will ever be bothered to, this thing will tank worse than the writing contest, I am so calling it now.)

Okay anyway here we go:

It all began the way thousands of adventures had begun before and thousands would begin since: with an official notice nailed to a tavern door.

You were sitting at a corner table, nursing the frothy mug that represented your last coin and brainstorming ways to acquire a few more when you heard the murmuring outside and decided to see what it was all about.

Elbowing your way through the crowd, you thoughtfully studied the poster one of the sheriff's men must have just put up.

WANTED: DEAD OR ALIVE
the OUTLAW Clarion Shaw
and his gang of CUTTHROATS
for MURDER, ROBBERY, & KIDNAPPING

The notice went on to state that the Shaw Gang had recently kidnapped the daughter of a wealthy merchant during a robbery, and were believed to be hiding out with their ill-gotten riches in the Arthaga Wood, the vast forest that began a mere day's travel from the city and stretched all the way to the Greenskin Mountains barely visible in the distance. A sizeable reward was offered both for the safe return of the girl and for the capture or killing of the outlaws, and of course it crosses your mind that if one was so inclined there was no way anyone could be expected to account for every last coin of those 'ill-gotten riches' once everything is said and done...

Now the curious crowd has thinned, but you still stand there, your mind racing. You're sure you've finally discovered the answer to all your money woes and are eager to get started, but there are just a few things you have to straighten out first.

Before this adventure gets started, are you:

1.) male or female
2.) (loosely) a warrior, rogue, or wizard
3.) inclined to be good, a little greedy, or a very greedy jerk?
4.) an expert, moderately experienced, or complete newbie adventurer?

The next installment will contain choices that more directly effect the plot, but right now I just need to get a better feel for the character before I continue.

Edited By Lumin on 1211405452
Currently working on: Nada. Zip. Zilch. [Check this space later.]
Lumin

Postby Cowboy » Thu May 22, 2008 11:57 am

I'm in! :yeah:

1: Male
2: Wizard
3: Good
4: Moderately experienced
Ghost town V 1,05: Adrift best game of the year award 2009
WIP:
"Through Time" Idle
"D-Day" Prog rep: Feb 16
Char: 5 Events: 5 Tasks: 185 Objects: 156 Rooms: 34... Size 47Kb
Cowboy

Postby Corey Arnett » Thu May 22, 2008 4:27 pm

Me too :quotes:

1) Male
2) Warrior
3) A Very Greedy Jerk
4) An Expert

Can't wait to see how this pans out. :yeah:
Truth is ever to be found in simplicity, and not in the multiplicity and confusion of things . . .

Check Out PROVENANCE - a full size text adventure at the Interactive Fiction Archive.
Corey Arnett

Postby Lumin » Thu May 22, 2008 4:52 pm

Heh, after this sat here all yesterday two votes is actually more than I expected...now we've got a little dilemma since I think I gave too many options in this part considering the number of participants.

It's not too big a deal though, it's easy to compromise as far as the Warrior-Wizard, Good-Greedy thing goes. I'll go ahead and start writing the update now before someone requests a slightly greedy female newbie rogue and really confuses things. :p

Cowboy and Corey, since you were the first voters each of you pick a name, I'll combine them into the full name of our hero. (nothing too silly please, I'm going to be really nerding it up here so this could easily veer into SERIOUS EPIC FANTASY territory)

Edited By Lumin on 1211475180
Lumin

Postby Lumin » Thu May 22, 2008 6:09 pm

For most of the locals the wanted poster is nothing more than another piece of juicy gossip to grease the rumor mill, but a few, at least, are taking it seriously.

"Step up, citizens!" a deep voice booms. "We need six more able bodies to go after this scum!" With a start you recognize Haderath Drake, leader of one of Clearford City's more competent gang of mercenaries. He's already gathering a crowd. "Each man will receive a silver coin and rations for every day he travels with us."

You pause. Those...actually aren't bad wages. Then you shake your head and consider slapping yourself. This wouldn't be the first time you've had dealings with Haderath, and while not quite enemies, you don't exactly have the highest opinion of each other.

Sure, you may not be at the top of your game right now, you muse, glancing down at your tattered clothes and wishing you hadn't traded in your only sword for a cheap dagger and booze money a few weeks back, but are you seriously desperate enough that you'd consider hiring on with that overly-loud, arrogant, glorified thug? You're a seasoned adventurer after all, you've faced down evil men and creatures that would make a braggart like Haderath soil his pants and run home to mother. So what if you're penniless and underequipped right now? You've got your natural gift with the magical arts, your unsurpassed cunning, and an uncanny skill at combat. And furthermore, if you need a weapon and supplies you know you've got plenty of friends in this city who would be honored to help you!

...well, two or three anyway. And perhaps not friends exactly, more like passing acquaintances at your old fighter's guild who might still be willing to hear you out...

...and if that fails, there's still at least one wizard from your days of studying the arcane arts who you know for a fact wouldn't incinerate you on sight...and not just because she's blind.

So what will it be?

1.) Drop by the fighter's guild.
2.) Pay a visit to the wizard.
3.) Swallow your pride and work for Haderath.

Edited By Lumin on 1211479865
Lumin

Postby Corey Arnett » Thu May 22, 2008 10:35 pm

Name choice: Yeroc (original, eh :cool: )

1) Drop by the fighter's guild.
Truth is ever to be found in simplicity, and not in the multiplicity and confusion of things . . .

Check Out PROVENANCE - a full size text adventure at the Interactive Fiction Archive.
Corey Arnett

Postby Cowboy » Fri May 23, 2008 3:04 pm

Name Choice: Merlin (the young) :(
2: Pay a visit to the Wizard ...
WIP:
"Through Time" Idle
Cowboy

Postby alsnpk » Fri May 23, 2008 7:11 pm

1.) Drop by the fighter's guild.
Released:
For competitions: Business As Usual; Oh, Human; Existence (intro); Motion
Shared names demo: "Guys, Guys"

Works in various stages of progress:
Y'know, things and stuff...
alsnpk

Postby Lumin » Fri May 23, 2008 8:59 pm

Hi alsnpk! Awesome, looks like we now have three whole people who can take time out of their busy lives to copy and paste a single line of text!

Are you sure? I thought Yeroc Yobwoc had a nice ring to it myself... :p

Anyway, right now it looks like we're heading for the fighter's guild, but there's still a couple of hours to vote!
Lumin

Postby Cowboy » Fri May 23, 2008 9:39 pm

Lumin wrote:

Are you sure? I thought Yeroc Yobwoc had a nice ring to it myself... :p

Careful ... Don't tease a wizard.... :O
But, just for the peace and quiet, I'll go for Yeroc then... ;)
WIP:
"Through Time" Idle
Cowboy

Postby Lumin » Sat May 24, 2008 5:14 am

Ack, this one kind of got away from me, sorry it's so long...

Your mind made up, you waste no time making your way to the fighter's guild, where you choose to try and enter inconspiciously through the side door by the stables.

It nearly works, too.

"Well, well, look what the gryphon dragged in," sneers Typhol, one of the many people you had hoped to avoid. He appears to have been cleaning out the stables, though whether as punishment for spectacularly failing a drill or as an excuse to hang around the pretty blonde girl grooming the horses, you really can't say. You note that his eyebrows have finally grown back after being singed off by the little magical mishap that got you thrown out of the guild, but that doesn't seem to make him any happier to see you. "Hello there, Merlin," he says, screwing up his face and spitting out the nickname as though he'd accidentally gotten a taste of the dung he'd been shoveling, "Fancy seeing you again. Shouldn't you be off skipping through the woods somewhere with twigs in your hair, talking to rats and sampling toadstools?" He shifts and flexes in what you suppose he thinks is a threatening manner -- you notice the blonde girl behind him has stopped brushing the horses and is starting to look a bit uneasy, anyway -- then continues, "So what's brought you back here, Yeroc? Because it sure seems like you're just begging for a great deal of pain that I'd be happy to--"

Impatiently you cut him off. "What's brought me back here is business that doesn't leave time to listen to a frog-faced fool flapping his jaw in the wind. Now if you'll excuse me, I need to find Joachor..." You shoulder roughly past him, and just as you're mentally congratulating yourself on your assertiveness and maturity in not rising to his insulting tone and stooping to his level, you're brought back to reality by a rush of foul-smelling liquid that drenches you from head to toe.

Sputtering, you whirl around to see Typhol holding one of the buckets used for mopping the filth out of the stable and grinning in a way that seems to be just begging for a great deal of pain...and the next thing you remember you're being hauled back by strong, dark hands while the blonde groomer screams somewhere in the background.

..no, wait, that's Typhol doing the decidely unmanly shrieking, while the girl tries to blot the blood that's gushing from his nose. Holding you back from inflicting further damage is Shar Sumal, the horsemaster who trains the guild's more advanced students in mounted combat.

"What's going on here?" he asks in a cold voice.

The girl, who's name you discover is Riana, is the only one able to give a straight answer. From the way she tells the story you get the impression she doesn't think much of Typhol -- that must mean she likes you, right? Your spirit is warmed so that even Sumal's withering gaze can't completely dissipate your happiness.

"Yeroc Yobwoc, need I remind you that you're not even a member of this guild any longer? What are you doing here?"

"Oh..oh that, I-I can explain," you manage, suddenly stammering. Shar Sumal just seems to have that effect on people. "I...uh, I just came to see Joachor about some personal business. I meant to be out of here in just an hour or so and I certainly never meant for there to be such...ah, such a scene, but then I ran into Typhol, and, well..." You trail off lamely.

"I see." Sumal looks at your now sniffling opponent, then at you, then nods curtly. "Very well then, Yeroc, you said you needed an hour, so I'm giving you exactly that. Do not try my patience by lingering one moment longer, and do not cause any further trouble while you're here."

Without another word he turns away, leading Typhol to the pump outside where you watch from a distance as Riana fusses over his bloody nose...ugh, does that mean she does like him then? It seems bad fortune dogs your every step -- you'd hardly be suprised now if even your old friend Joachor refuses to help you.

Shaking your head, you start to head back for your original destination, the side door that leads into the guild, when you're brought up short by the unexpected sight of perhaps the only real friend you still have in this place. Lucky Star, the marvelous horse you used to practice all Sumal's combat drills on, is tied up just outside as though waiting for you, already saddled with a full pack and sword strapped to his back.

You spare a quick glance over your shoulder and verify that Riana and the horsemaster are still occupied with Typhol across the courtyard and not paying the slightest bit of attention to you. Could it be that fortune is finally smiling on you? Maybe you don't need to bother Joachor after all...

After a moment of serious thought, you decide that:

1.) stealing is wrong!

2.) opportunities like this shouldn't be ignored...

Lumin

Postby Cowboy » Sat May 24, 2008 5:56 am

2: opportunities like this shouldn't be ignored...
WIP:
"Through Time" Idle
Cowboy

Postby Lumin » Sat May 24, 2008 6:07 am

Cowboy wrote:2: opportunities like this shouldn't be ignored...

What? I thought you were the one that wanted him to be good. :p

(And what the heck are you doing awake right now? It's always just me and the spambots at this time of night...what did you do with Cowboy, evil spambot? :O )

Also, I've noticed that the quote box makes the text pretty tiny, is that annoying, y/n? (And if you guys have any other comments or criticisms just let me know.)
Lumin

Postby Cowboy » Sat May 24, 2008 7:16 am

Lumin wrote:
Cowboy wrote:2: opportunities like this shouldn't be ignored...

What? I thought you were the one that wanted him to be good. :p

(And what the heck are you doing awake right now? It's always just me and the spambots at this time of night...what did you do with Cowboy, evil spambot? :O )

Also, I've noticed that the quote box makes the text pretty tiny, is that annoying, y/n? (And if you guys have any other comments or criticisms just let me know.)

Ohhh But he IS good... but even though he is good, deosn't mean that he can't see an portunity when it kicks him in the face... ;)

What do you mean awake right now? It's morning here in Denmark... 09:20am Saturday, and a beautiful spring morning. Today we're celebrating the wedding between Prince Joachim and his fiancé Marie.
You're the one who's up late, or very early rofl

The text is ok with me... I have this huge magnifying glass in front of the monitor... ;)
Only problem is that when the sun hits it in the afternnon it tends to set fire to my room... :p
Have a nice weekend ...
WIP:
"Through Time" Idle
Cowboy

Postby Lumin » Sat May 24, 2008 5:39 pm

Cowboy wrote:What do you mean awake right now? It's morning here in Denmark... 09:20am Saturday, and a beautiful spring morning. Today we're celebrating the wedding between Prince Joachim and his fiancé Marie.
You're the one who's up late, or very early rofl

Heh, it was like 1 AM my time, no one ever seems to be around past 10PM or so so I just assume you're all asleep...

And talk about a weird coincidence, I was actually going to name the friend the character is looking for 'Joachim'. Then I was like 'no wait that just popped into my brain too easily, I must be subconsciously ripping it off from somewhere else'. I don't think I've ever heard of an actual person called that though, that's pretty cool name. :cool:

edit: guess I subconsciously ripped it off from the Bible?

Edited By Lumin on 1211651066
Lumin

Next

Return to General IF