ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

XTREME! February Writing Challenge - now with more obnoxious title

The place to chat about ideas, writing, this forum, or anything related to Interactive Fiction that isn't specific to ADRIFT.

Please also visit the Interactive Fiction Community Forum for further discussions.

Postby Lumin » Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:05 pm

Okay, I liked the gist of Corey's idea and I'm terribly impatient so we're going to go ahead and try the simpler modified version. We can always tweak the rules later if it doesn't work out but right now it's the beginning of the month so why not?

I'll go ahead and get us started off with a prompt...the only problem is we still need an actual reliable person to email the games to who can handle uploading them and making the voting thread later.

Volunteers?

Anyway here we go:

Objects: box of chocolates, cake, letter, knife, roses, diamond ring

Remember that this time we're not posting our entries here, we're creating an actual room and mailing it to [sucker to be named at a later date], who will then upload it [somewhere] for downloading and voting.

It's not strictly required, but still encouraged to do a little something with the room beyond the bare bones descriptions...remember that the more impressed the voters are the more chance you have of winning [completely fake fabulous prized to be decided as a later date] so try your best and have fun!

Edited By Lumin on 1233605360
Lumin

Postby KFAdrift » Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:30 pm

In the absence of a reliable person, I can use the InsideAdrift site to host the files and you can send your entries to febcontest AT insideadrift.org.uk
KF
Staring harder at the screen doesn't give any more inspiration
KFAdrift
Site Admin

Postby Corey Arnett » Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:16 pm

This is great! I will take part. Thanks KFAdrift for helping us out.
Truth is ever to be found in simplicity, and not in the multiplicity and confusion of things . . .

Check Out PROVENANCE - a full size text adventure at the Interactive Fiction Archive.
Corey Arnett

Postby justahack » Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:02 am

Sure, I'll enter too.
Works in progress:

Silo. 20%
justahack

Postby Duncan_B » Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:59 am

Why not just upload it to the main adventure page where it will be nice and visible (or perhaps as a module, where it will only be buried a click away on the drop menu)?
Duncan_B

Postby Lumin » Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:27 pm

Well the thing is they won't be actual games (though I guess someone could do that if they really wanted to go all out...) just rooms with objects. So the adventure page is out, and the demo one is cluttered enough...and it'll just get worse if this becomes a regular thing.

I guess it would sort of fit as a module, but of course that would imply that anyone who wanted to could rip any of the descriptions straight off (which some may not mind but there'd always be the potential for drama) and in the end KF or someone would still have to collect all the entries together and people would have to download them it's exactly the same amount of work.
Lumin

Postby Corey Arnett » Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:52 pm

Maybe a rule about no tasks/events or something to keep it focused on just room descriptions and objects.
Truth is ever to be found in simplicity, and not in the multiplicity and confusion of things . . .

Check Out PROVENANCE - a full size text adventure at the Interactive Fiction Archive.
Corey Arnett

Postby Duncan_B » Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:01 pm

Just to be clear, are we allowed to include MORE than the given objects, or are we trying to work ONLY with those? ...'cos if it's that restrictive, I'll need to rewrite my entry.
Duncan_B

Postby justahack » Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:17 pm

Does this competition end on Feb 28? Also will there be an announcement on the results?
Works in progress:

Silo. 20%
justahack

Postby KFAdrift » Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:58 pm

Guess the rules are probably something we should get right sooner rather than later.

From my point of view the major rule is to only have the one location - in this case The Lounge. Adding other objects, tasks, events and possibly characters just attempts to add to the reality of the room. It would be a shame to not allow people to write for interaction with objects where appropriate.

When we come to judging it is then really up to those looking at the games to decide if someone has gone over the top and mark accordingly if they think it is against the spirit of the event.
KF
KFAdrift
Site Admin

Postby Corey Arnett » Sun Feb 08, 2009 4:50 am

It would be a shame to not allow people to write for interaction with objects where appropriate.

I fully agree. One simple rule about only one location sounds cool. :cool:

I thought it was the Dining Room, not the Lounge. :blush:

Edited By Corey Arnett on 1234068709

Corey Arnett

Postby KFAdrift » Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:22 am

Corey Arnett wrote:I thought it was the Dining Room, not the Lounge. :blush:

True :blush:
KF
KFAdrift
Site Admin

Postby Lumin » Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:40 pm

What KF said. Extra objects have always been okay even in the standard writing challenges, and it seems pointless to be using Adrift for this in the first place if you're not allowed to do anything more interesting with them if you want, even if it's not an actual requirement or anything.

...though as for the 'spirit of the event', as far as I'm concerned if the new format could trick people into occasionally writing a one room game, that would only be a good thing. ;)

And yes, deadline is on the 28th I guess, and I assume KF will be posting them somewhere about that time.

Edited By Lumin on 1234194137
Lumin

Postby madquest8 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:49 am

I have an idea, but the speed at which I move it will probably be ready 28th feb 2010... still I'll give it a shot ! :)
madquest8

Postby Lumin » Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:52 pm

So I'm curious, how many people have actually completed an entry?

I'm going to try and send one in tonight, I've been stalling way too long and the way my luck is something will probably come up next Sunday to ruin my always foolproof plan to rush something out at the last second...
Lumin

Next

Return to General IF