ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Writing Challenge - -- September...?

The place to chat about ideas, writing, this forum, or anything related to Interactive Fiction that isn't specific to ADRIFT.

Please also visit the Interactive Fiction Community Forum for further discussions.

Postby Duncan_B » Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:45 pm

One can't help but notice the lack of writing challenges recently (the last having been in February). What say the community to hosting another?

Would anyone be interested in entering? Would some people like to promise their votes (in general)?
Duncan_B

Postby Cowboy » Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:59 am

I enjoy the writing challenges..
Not quite a big contestant myself, but I will surely vote.
Ghost town V 1,05: Adrift best game of the year award 2009
WIP:
"Through Time" Idle
"D-Day" Prog rep: Feb 16
Char: 5 Events: 5 Tasks: 185 Objects: 156 Rooms: 34... Size 47Kb
Cowboy

Postby NickyDude » Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:22 pm

Personally I'd love to see it started up again but I've tried quite a few times and was lucky to get anyone entering. I think the drive has gone from the forum as we all wait for V5 but by all means start it up again and see what happens.

Good Luck! :dancer:

Edited By NickyDude on 1251930151
ImageI reject your reality and substitute my own...
NickyDude

Postby Cowboy » Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:01 am

Are there any rules to this challenge, or can I just set up a scene?
Ghost town V 1,05: Adrift best game of the year award 2009
WIP:
"Through Time" Idle
"D-Day" Prog rep: Feb 16
Char: 5 Events: 5 Tasks: 185 Objects: 156 Rooms: 34... Size 47Kb
Cowboy

Postby NickyDude » Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:29 am

Rules should be pinned at the top of this board. :)
NickyDude

Postby Duncan_B » Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:57 pm

It could be this month is too busy-- most are hard at work on their games (for Twin Comp or otherwise) or else burned out on them. Still, I'd like to offer a potential for authors to let go and write something (potentially) fast & fun, without the pressure of high expectations. But I'm thinking about doing something a little differently than the original writing challenges. So here goes:

Rules:
- One-room scene
- Must feature some sort of formal wear
- The kind of formal wear featured should be the official title of the writing produced, but the .taf file should be named something else.
- May be written with ADRIFT 4 or ADRIFT 3.9.
- The file as a game does not need to be complete (the story need not have a clear beginning/ending), but it should be interesting. Try to take formal wear out of its normal context.
- There will be no restriction on length, media, or style except to prohibit profanity & material of an adult or offensive nature.
- Entries should be submitted to the competition organizer (that's me, bowsmand@msu.edu) before 11:59 PM Eastern Standard Time on September 23rd. That gives you two weeks-- you are not expected to work on your entry for the entirety of those two weeks.

Entries will be put together in a .zip and published on the ADRIFT Adventures page (under Complete or Demos, depending upon the majority of the kind of entries made). All entries will receive review in the forum's review gallery.

Questions, comments, volunteers? Will this idea work out or is it dumb? Thoughts, please.
Duncan_B

Postby Richarius » Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:27 pm

A one room adventure??? That just happens to be what I'm hopefully soon completing right now, on my return to Adrift for learning how to program IF / text adventures! :D

Formal wear though ...... mmmm. I could possibly write a simple story around such, to wrap around my single room escape adventure as it stands. Could that then, possibly allow it to fit??

With this being my so far first complete attempt (which I'm just trying now, to work out any bugs from) I don't know if it could be considered advanced enough for such a challenge.

Your thoughts? I could provide any extra details for this, if you like.
Take care,
Warmth and Peace,
Rich
Richarius

Postby Duncan_B » Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:27 pm

So long as it features formal wear in it somewhere and the title of the game is the name of that form of formal wear (but the .taf file is named something else), you can enter it. I really don't expect full adventures-- I was thinking people might want to write vignettes-- but if you can do it, I see no reason not to.
Duncan_B

Postby Duncan_B » Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:29 pm

The whole point, I should clarify, is for this thing to be very open and up to the author's interpretation. Just have fun writing.
Duncan_B

Postby Richarius » Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:01 pm

Duncan_B wrote:The whole point, I should clarify, is for this thing to be very open and up to the author's interpretation. Just have fun writing.

Alright. Thank you for the clarification Duncan. I believe I may have misinterpreted the challenge outline somewhat. That's otay. The mention of the challenge itself inspired me to rewrite the single room game's Introductory, which has worked quite well, for it overall. :)
Take care,
Warmth and Peace,
Rich
Richarius

Postby revgiblet » Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:18 am

Two weeks doesn't seem like enough for me...

...but I'll give it a go, especially as it's an invitation to enjoy writing something rather than hoping to win something.

Formal wear, eh?
"He who lives only to benefit himself confers on the world a benefit when he dies."

Tertullian

In Progress:- Watch This Space...
revgiblet

Postby Duncan_B » Sat Sep 12, 2009 3:55 pm

Two weeks doesn't seem like enough

It needn't be a complete adventure. I'm looking for more like a dedicated weekend's worth of writing, I s'pose, but again, there is no restriction on length. You need only write an interesting scene at least, with some interactivity. A peek at your writing style, if you will.

I'm sure you can do it!
Duncan_B

Postby Lumin » Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:53 am

I watched The Little Mermaid with my niece today - you know that in some cultures clamshell bras are considered a type of formal wear? :p
Lumin

Postby Duncan_B » Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:11 pm

in some cultures clamshell bras are considered a type of formal wear?

Indeed, any interpretation of formal wear would be acceptable, so long as it can be kept family friendly. Anyone want to write a piece about a kimono?
Duncan_B

Postby NickyDude » Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:53 pm

Anyone want to write a piece about a kimono?

You mean as in 'dragon skin shoes' instead of crocodile? :p
NickyDude

Next

Return to General IF