ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Let;s talk about vampires - seems appropriate for Hallloween

The place to chat about ideas, writing, this forum, or anything related to Interactive Fiction that isn't specific to ADRIFT.

Please also visit the Interactive Fiction Community Forum for further discussions.

Postby Lumin » Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:43 pm

So how do you guys feel about vampires as a plot device? Still interesting, played out, or just an annoying fad?

Personally I have kind of a love/hate relationship with the nasty little bloodsuckers - I think they're an awesome idea when done right, but they're so often done wrong (for instance, I've seen tons of vampire movies but I can count the ones I've actually enjoyed on one hand - and one of them is Fright Night for Christ's sake. ) that at this point I almost want to dismiss any book/movie/whatever that contains them out of hand. Especially now with the glut of utterly forgettable trash we're going to be getting thanks to Stephanie Meyer. ('utterly forgettable trash' was not the first thing I typed, but this forum is supposed to be family friendly so we'll leave it at that)

Still, I've had a couple of vampire stories of my own bouncing around in my head for awhile, and after playing Melancholy Blood this morning I've started seriously thinking about them again and how I'd like to write them down in some form, though I'm not sure yet whether IF or regular fiction would be more appropriate.

Can anybody recommend any other IF games with vampires, or maybe some of the more obscure movies or books that I might have missed, for inspiration/research purposes? (Yes I have already seen Let the Right One In and I'm glad I did, even if it took awhile to get off the ground...)

In the story I'm thinking about writing, with a couple of exceptions all the vampire 'rules' are pretty traditional, but I don't mind a twist on the mythos as long as they still drink blood and have at least the potential to be scary instead of just misunderstood sparkly emo pretty boys...

e: ugh, is there any way to fix the typo in the title?

Edited By Lumin on 1257029088
Lumin

Postby NickyDude » Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:47 pm

A good vampire should be an engaging character, one who can mesmerise just by speaking, not a vampire that flies in sucks blood then buggers off. :cool:

Edited By NickyDude on 1257032839
ImageI reject your reality and substitute my own...
NickyDude

Postby Lumin » Sun Nov 01, 2009 12:09 am

I think there's room for both kinds honestly. They did used to be human so unlike other monsters personality would be a factor. I imagine the suave, manipulative ones might even want to off the more unsubtle killers themselves to keep from having their cover blown.

That's actually an element in the story I want to write, even though I admit the basic idea of thw whole 'factions' thing is kind of cribbed from my vague understanding of how vampire clans work in the White Wolf games. (which I've never actually played because I don't want to rip them off further and anyway the kind of people who do play them creep me out...)

Argh. There's nothing going on here and I'm bored and I really want to blab about my plot but must...avoid...discussing games on the forums...must...avoid...the Curse.
Lumin

Postby justahack » Sun Nov 01, 2009 12:10 am

I think vampires, right now, is a bit of a saturated idea. I mean, there's twilight, vampire diaries, and true blood. They have their particular shares of the market, and they appeal to a particular audience. But with that said, if there are any good stories regarding vampires, now would probably be a good time to introduce them, since you'll probably find a more receptive audience as opposed to introducing them at a time when there isn't as much saturation.
Works in progress:

Silo. 20%
justahack

Postby Ren » Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:40 am

Like zombies, they're both interesting and over-used. And I've met too many people who like vampires way more than is healthy, but I still find myself wanting to write a couple of things involving them, because there are always other angles (not sparkly emo or Moonlight which featured the worst PI ever).
Ren

Postby Lumin » Sun Nov 22, 2009 3:22 am

Ren wrote:And I've met too many people who like vampires way more than is healthy, but I still find myself wanting to write a couple of things involving them...

The 'way more than is healthy' problem ruins a lot of things. :(

When I was a kid I started a series of stories about a planet populated by various species of animal-people, kind of a Disney/Redwall thing with a splash of sci-fi. Unfortunately I was in junior high and too cool for Disney and Redwall and talking animals at the time so I never did show it to anybody.

Then I discovered that people on the internet were also interested in stuff like that!

...then I discovered that the internet was a horrible, horrible place. (none of the emoticons here are really appropriate, pretend I posted this one instead: Image )
Lumin

Postby Ren » Sun Nov 22, 2009 1:03 pm

Lumin wrote:Image

Ha. The internet is indeed a bad, bad place.

I once did a writing course with someone who was 'interested' in vampire sub-cultures, and could therefore twist any assignment to his interest.

It allowed us to play sexual fetish Bingo whenever he pitched an idea, but it also highlighted the problems faced when you're writing about something whilst simultaneously trying to distance yourself from 99.5% of the other people who write about it.

It pretty much stopped anyone suggesting any story idea that so much as touched horror.

Despite all that, of my many part-completed semi-abandoned WiP, the two largest are about Vampires and Zombies respectively.
Ren

Postby Lumin » Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:35 pm

Ren wrote:...but it also highlighted the problems faced when you're writing about something whilst simultaneously trying to distance yourself from 99.5% of the other people who write about it.

Hehe, yeah, if I ever get around to actually writing up the (fairly dark) story idea I have I plan to play it completely straight...but in a situation like the one you described I probably would've had no choice but to make every vampire a ridiculous caricature just because everyone else was taking it waaay too seriously.
Lumin

Return to General IF