ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

December Writing Spiel

The place to chat about ideas, writing, this forum, or anything related to Interactive Fiction that isn't specific to ADRIFT.

Please also visit the Interactive Fiction Community Forum for further discussions.

Postby Duncan_B » Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:44 pm

Announcing the December Writing Spiel.
The spiel is a no-pressure opportunity for authors to submit a bite-sized work of interactive fiction for the enjoyment of and critique by the larger community. Writing deadlines are kept short to reflect the short nature of expected entries. It is not a competition, but more a writing exercise. Entries will be published on the Adventures page and given review. This is a great opportunity for new authors to test out their skill with ADRIFT and for veterans to share & hone their craft.

For examples of work appropriate for the spiel, check out last spiel's Cumberbund or Top Hat or the entries from the February Writing Competition.

Rules for the December Writing Spiel:
- For this spiel, we are looking for focus. Try to make an entry that revolves around on a single object, a single interaction, a single character, a single word... whatever you wish. The focus need not be on single things-- if you want to focus on a group of things, feel free, but be sure to demonstrate focus.
- Preferably one room, but not restricted.
- The thing being focused upon should be the official title of the writing produced.
- May be written with ADRIFT 4 or ADRIFT 3.9.
- The file as a game does not need to be complete (the story need not have a clear beginning/ending), but it should be interesting.
- There will be no restriction on length, media, or style except to prohibit profanity & material of an adult or offensive nature.
- Entries should be submitted to the competition organizer (that's me, bowsmand AT msu DOT edu) before 11:59 PM Eastern Standard Time on December 17th. This gives authors working on EvenComp games time to submit their work and then do something for the spiel over the course of the following, should they so desire. It is not expected an author will spend an entire week on a piece for the spiel, but nor is it discouraged.
- Please notify me via PM if you submit a piece so that it won't go missed.

Questions, thoughts, commitments? Post 'em here.
Duncan_B

Postby justahack » Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:21 am

I will give this a try too :D
Works in progress:

Silo. 20%
justahack

Postby djchallis » Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:17 am

That sounds like a great idea! If I wasn't so busy, I'd love to enter! I hope you get a lot of people joining in this though.
Game in the works - Project Clocks - on hold for a bit.
Game finished - I am the Law for the OddComp. Looking forward to finishing Clocks so I can show what I can really do!
Current focus - Some microIF. Short experiments to test ideas and actually release something!
djchallis

Postby Lumin » Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:23 am

Anybody doing anything for this? It's such a neat prompt.
Currently working on: Nada. Zip. Zilch. [Check this space later.]
Lumin

Postby Duncan_B » Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:29 am

I might try to put something together for it. It would be neat to see others get into it, too. I find small releases help to get into the habit of publishing work.
Duncan_B

Postby Duncan_B » Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:46 pm

Since the idea is to give EvenComp authors a week & those authors were graciously granted a much-needed extension, I'll push the deadline for this back to the winter solstice. December 21st for entries, please.
Duncan_B

Postby Lumin » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:29 am

Good to know, hopefully I can put something together. IMO all deadlines should be on or immediately after a weekend. :)
Currently working on: Nada. Zip. Zilch. [Check this space later.]
Lumin

Return to General IF