ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

March Writing Spiel

The place to chat about ideas, writing, this forum, or anything related to Interactive Fiction that isn't specific to ADRIFT.

Please also visit the Interactive Fiction Community Forum for further discussions.

Postby Duncan_B » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:22 pm

MARCH WRITING SPIEL
The spiel is a no-pressure opportunity for authors to submit a bite-sized work of interactive fiction for the enjoyment of and critique by the larger community. Writing deadlines are kept short to reflect the short nature of expected entries. It is not a competition, but more a writing exercise.

Entries will be published on the Adventures page and given review. This is a great opportunity for new authors to test out their skill with ADRIFT & acquaint themselves with the publication process. It's also a great opportunity for veteran 'DRIFTers to share & hone their craft.

For examples of work appropriate for the spiel, check out last spiel's Cumberbund or Top Hat or the entries from the February Writing Competition.

Rules for the March Writing Spiel:
- For this spiel, we are looking for interactive non-fiction (INF). Please feel free to interpret this however you wish. Things that might count include, but are by no means limited to: a scene of historical INF, a trivia generator, "how-to" INF, memoir or biographical INF, an interactive dissertation on the price of gasoline over the period of 1969-1989, an accurately detailed & implemented car, et cetera.
- May be written with ADRIFT 4 or ADRIFT 3.9.
- The file need not have a clear beginning/ending, but it should be interesting.
- There will be no restriction on length, media, or style except to prohibit profanity & material of an adult or offensive nature.
- Entries should be submitted to the competition organizer (that's me, bowsmand AT gmail DOT com) before 11:59 PM Eastern Standard Time on March 18th. It is not expected an author will spend the entirety of the two weeks on a piece for the spiel-- let alone one whole week-- but nor is it discouraged.
- E-mail has been known to get overlooked at times, so please notify me via PM if you submit a piece to ensure that it won't go missed.

Questions, thoughts, commitments, general discussion? Please post below.
Duncan_B

Postby Thingamus » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:51 pm

Methinks I hath experienced a personal adventure which may maketh a fine entry for yon spiel... if I dothn't finish in time, should I still submitteth it anyway?
Released workes:
Yon Astounding Castle! of some sort: 11th place in Ye Olde IFComp '09 (2.5 stars!).
Pirate's Plunder!: 3rd place in ADRIFT Summer Comp (4 stars!).
Albert is Lost!: An Adventure in Real Life (2 stars!).
Newton (1 star!).
Thingamus

Postby Duncan_B » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:01 pm

I don't see why not, so long as you can be content with whatever you release. Maybe you could put like a "[TO BE CONTINUED]" thing in there if you think it fits.
Duncan_B

Postby justahack » Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:55 pm

I think I can come up with something for this :D
Works in progress:

Silo. 20%
justahack

Postby DCBSupafly » Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:24 pm

Thanks Duncan. I will be submitting a piece of totally real non-fiction entitled:

Big City Laundry

Look forward to it.
DCBSupafly

Postby Duncan_B » Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:08 pm

Big City Laundry, 'ey? Sounds like a thriller!
Duncan_B

Postby Thingamus » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:57 am

Alas, I may not be able to submitteth a work for yon spiel... for I believeth I hath created a full, miniature adventure game instead! Huzzah!
Released workes:
Yon Astounding Castle! of some sort: 11th place in Ye Olde IFComp '09 (2.5 stars!).
Newton (1 star!).
Thingamus

Postby P/o Prune » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:02 pm

Thingamus wrote:Alas, I may not be able to submitteth a work for yon spiel... for I believeth I hath created a full, miniature adventure game instead! Huzzah!

Way to go.. :D
When is the release date?
Cheers
D-Day in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
Just a Fairy Tale: 97kb
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby justahack » Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:22 am

Good news and bad news.

Bad news is I will probably miss the deadline for the March Writing Spiel.
Good news is that my entry will probably see more development time as I have found something interesting (to me, at least) to write about. :D
Works in progress:

Silo. 20%
justahack

Postby Duncan_B » Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:47 am

Hm, looks like I have to answer on both ends of the spectrum.

JaH, sure you're going to miss the deadline? You could try a SpeedIF or release a preview/intro version of your game. Remember, completeness is not a requirement for entries.

And Tiberius, the opposite. You can still submit despite completeness should you wish.

At any rate, the whole point of the spiel is just to get the wheels turning a bit. If either of you feel happy with what you're working on and decide for whatever reason to submit it outside the spiel, that's A-OK.
Duncan_B

Postby Thingamus » Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:05 am

I may submitteth my game shortly after yon deadline, but I hopeth it still gets some reviews and review-type things!
Released workes:
Newton (1 star!).
Thingamus

Postby DCBSupafly » Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:46 pm

I will play thy adventure thingamus.

I may post my writing spiel on Friday or Saturday as it's a simple thing and almost finished... not meant for further development. I've basically had a terrible week though, and have found little time/energy to work since last weekend!

It will be finished nonetheless, and the world of Adrift will have its eyes opened to the unfictitious adventure that is DCB's Big City Laundry Experience 2009.
DCBSupafly

Postby P/o Prune » Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:13 pm

DCBSupafly wrote:I will play thy adventure thingamus.

I may post my writing spiel on Friday or Saturday as it's a simple thing and almost finished... not meant for further development. I've basically had a terrible week though, and have found little time/energy to work since last weekend!

It will be finished nonetheless, and the world of Adrift will have its eyes opened to the unfictitious adventure that is DCB's Big City Laundry Experience 2009.

If you do... Supafly.. Pls. write a review..
We desperately need reviews for games...
Thingamus I will play it too if you are interested ...
D-Day in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
Just a Fairy Tale: 97kb
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby justahack » Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:33 pm

Duncan_B wrote:Hm, looks like I have to answer on both ends of the spectrum.

JaH, sure you're going to miss the deadline? You could try a SpeedIF or release a preview/intro version of your game. Remember, completeness is not a requirement for entries.

And Tiberius, the opposite. You can still submit despite completeness should you wish.

At any rate, the whole point of the spiel is just to get the wheels turning a bit. If either of you feel happy with what you're working on and decide for whatever reason to submit it outside the spiel, that's A-OK.

Well, what I have is pretty non-functional at the moment as it just has some rooms written, and an npc. The tasks are missing and there is no interactivity available. However, finishing it outside of the spiel would allow me to make it a bit more substantial than a speedif, which I think most people would enjoy. :D
Works in progress:

Silo. 20%
justahack

Postby Duncan_B » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:31 am

Well, my game has been posted. Hope you enjoy.

Also, no worries about the deadline... I'm glad just to get the ball rolling for people. I look forward to everyone's games!
Duncan_B

Next

Return to General IF