ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Circuitous Writing

The place to chat about ideas, writing, this forum, or anything related to Interactive Fiction that isn't specific to ADRIFT.

Please also visit the Interactive Fiction Community Forum for further discussions.

Postby Jubell » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:44 pm

Ever start writing, find yourself unable to stop...

And then stop and realize precisely how many individual threads you have to pull together to make a thread work, with no idea if you're doing it properly?

I suppose that's the magic of proofreading and testing but...man is it mindboggling!
Jubell

Postby Duncan_B » Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:42 am

Well familiar with the feeling. If you're uncertain on something, often it will take another person's perspective to right things... they might also notice problems you would not have, or think certain parts aren't as problematic as you once thought.

Being a solo developer is tough. To make the best possible work, you need all the help you can get.
Duncan_B

Postby DCBSupafly » Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:01 pm

Flow charts!!!!!!!!
DCBSupafly

Postby Duncan_B » Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:51 am

Flowcharts can help to some extent, but I find the best thing one can do is to define limits to a work. This is true especially of flowcharts-- where do you draw the line? What is too much?

My most successful method of writing stories thus far has been to draw out a map of the game and its items (in their appropriate rooms) and draw causal links between elements of the story onto it with different coloured pens. It's easy in this method to see how reducing the numbers of elements in a story can make it less cumbersome. Using different colours for links between things can also help in planning out some permutations for puzzles with multiple solutions, but here again limits are important. I know the advice can sometimes seem counter-intuitive in writing interactive fiction, but don't be afraid to justify using less permutations. Less is more.
Duncan_B

Re: Circuitous Writing

Postby DCBSupafly » Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:08 pm

I never saw your response Duncan, but that's a great way to do it! I always have graphs with list of stats and properties, which is probably my way of recreating familiar stuff from TES construction set and SQL. That leaves out the relationships between things, though, and that often seems to become a huge problem for me late in the development of ADRIFT (also a pretty big source of bugs in Elder Scrolls stuff incidentally).
DCBSupafly

Return to General IF